• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don't brown bag it anymore to school!

What the Hell is this world comming to, next they are going to start banning AK47's from gym class... :p

That's just dumb. I plainly recall bringing a 20 guage to school because my buddies and I were going dove hunting after. Once, my football coach checked to see if it was loaded (I'd have earned some licks (a paddling for you Yankees) if it had been).

:angry: This could be the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life. What happened to common sense?

"Anytime there's a weapon on campus, yes, we have to report it and we aggressively report it because we don't want to take any chances, regardless," Christian said.

Common sense is dead. A knife isn't a weapon unless it is used as one. I just don't think that attacking a piece of steak is crime worthy of scarring a 10 year old girl for life over. Shame on everyone involved. I guess they should call the police the next time the t-ball team gets together to practice. There is no telling what those 6 year old criminals wielding bats could do. :angry:

Common sense is DOA, and it's really tragic. I would wonder that the same school probably has X-Acto knives in the art department, scalpels in the biology lab, and all sorts of sharp pointy things in the wood shop.

Here's a question; do you think it's stupidity, or fear of a law suit? It seems many times that the mantra of public schools is "..not my fault, not my fault..!!" weather it's responsibility in providing an education, to policing the campus. Throw in a litigious parent or two, and the current situation can be explained. Not justified, but maybe explained.

What's really tragic is that I personally know several competent, motivated, really caring teachers and educators. They feel the way I do, and are leaving the public education for private schools as fast as they can.

Sad, indeed - B.B.S.

WOW. the kid should'nt have packed the knife but WTF due to how it was used (totaly non threatning) what a unwarrinted action.(arresting her and suspension) I think there should have been some sort of punishment to ensure other kids and her dont make this mistake again but come on.

Common sense is dead. A knife isn't a weapon unless it is used as one. I just don't think that attacking a piece of steak is crime worthy of scarring a 10 year old girl for life over. Shame on everyone involved. I guess they should call the police the next time the t-ball team gets together to practice. There is no telling what those 6 year old criminals wielding bats could do. :angry:
WOW .. just wow .. I'm baffled by what they consider appropriate. I could understand taking it, just to be safe. I could understand having a discussion with her in the principle's office. But to come down on her like that is absolutely ludicrous. Kids will make mistakes (not that this is one). But if we don't take the time to talk to them and try to nurture their growth, we are all doomed.

I'm not a fan of frivolous lawsuits, but I hope the parent's turn around and sue the school. It appears that is the only thing the school's logic will understand. Seriously, for emotional distress. I'd get them to pay for private tuition for my kid for the next 5 years. I sure as hell wouldn't want my kid going back to that school.

Why did the school make this rule? Probably because of shit like Columbine. They decide to take no chances and then move it to the extreme. It is some administrator not taking the time to think the policy through.

The rule is enforced as it is written to avoid putting the administration in a position of having to make a judegement call on whether the knife was a weapon or not. If some other child reported that the girl had a knife and the administration had done nothing they would be scrutinized for doing nothing and not following the rules. So, I suppose there is really no room left for any judgement calls or common sense and the strictest interpretation of the rules will be enforeced without trying to discern intent on behalf of the offending party.

Its the parent that lacks common sense here. Who is the world would send a 10 yr old to school with a steak knife in these days and times? They should be the ones held accountable, not the child.

A knife is a tool. Plain and simple.

It only becomes a weapon when it is used or intended for violence.

This story makes me sad.

While it wasn't the smartest choice for her, why didn't her parents cut it up before they sent her to school with it?

weap·on (wpn)
n.
1. An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.

I bet the school has:

• baseball bats
  • screwdrivers
  • scissors
  • plastic forks
  • books
  • chairs
  • baseballs
  • softballs
  • shoes
  • rocks
  • sand
  • glass jars
  • sticks (switches for those of you in the south)
  • padlocks (attached to a belt and you've got a nasty flail)
  • keys
  • rope, string, cordage
  • staplers

All of these tools can be used as weapons if the individual is creative enough.

Our then ten year old, now twelve year old got sent home for bringing a Butter Knife to school....I was called to pick her up. I asked the principal what the problem was, and she said that weapons were not allowed at school. I mistakenly asked "I hope no one was allergic to butter and jelly?" She didn't laugh.....

I'm a parent and a very protective one at that. If that was my kid I would call the police back and ask to do a walk through. Every time I saw a letter opener on a teacher desk or scissors I would be calling out weapon and demanding that they arrest the owner. Now if they happen to have a staff kitchen I would love to do a check in there. I bet they have a few knives. How about the biology class room or chemistry room? Don't they have gas and other chemicals that could be used as a bomb. See how stupid this gets.

It's not the parents fault on this one. It's societies fault. We let things get too out of control. Everyone of them should be smacked up side the head and asked what where they thinking. Someone should have taken the knife away after the girl finished cutting up her steak and then call the parents to let them know that they can't send the child to school with any type of knife which is consider a weapon because of the school policies and if they want the knife back they will need to come in to pick it up. No one in trouble and everyone is safe. All it took was an Adult with common sense.

DG