• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Drew Estate Chateau Real Maduro Noble Habana

iota

Drew Estate Chateau Real Maduro Noble Habana (5.2 x 54). Today I wanted to go with something mild, and I've heard people speak pretty favorably about Drew Estate's non-flavored blends. I have to say too that this one had a lot of appeal right away. The dry smell was wonderfully pleasant, maybe slightly sweet but not sickeningly so. The maduro wrapper had a great rich, uniform color and the cigar felt really firm and heavy to hold. No flaws to speak of in that first look. Lit up perfectly and I had no real problems with the burn at all. Really mild, but right about what I expected. Excellent flavor, nothing really complex, but just a solid meat and potatoes (figuratively, not literally) light tobacco taste. Nothing surprising or unusual, but rock solid. As I was smoking this I was thinking that someone that likes a mild body would really dig this one a lot and I was thinking of a couple of people I could recommend it to. I paired it with a Virgil's root beer, which I found matched pretty well. Although the CI description for the Chateau Real Maduro says it has a long aftertaste, which I didn't find true at all. Lots of smoke, easy draw.

And everything went fine just like that, right up until I passed the final third. I'm not sure what happened, but I was hit with this kind of dirty, burnt flavor (maybe not actually burnt, but something like that.) It was so radically different than the rest of the smoke that it came as a bit of shock. I'll have to smoke another one to see if that's typical, but wow, I really didn't like that last taste, especially compared to the first two thirds. I just couldn't nub it and it sort of marred the whole thing for me. (That last picture is about where I stopped.) Anyone know what I'm trying to describe here?