• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dried-Out Cigars Can Be Restored

McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan
In my increasingly sloth-like state that plauges me once in a while, I neglected to care for some cigars properly and changed humidifiers (thanks, Vern!). Some have tasted nasty, but I'm not sure if that is just because they are bad cigars or just not showing the effets of being dried out. I find it hard to believe that these cigars make it from the farms of Cuba, etc. to us while maintaining a 70% humidity the whole way.

Anyone have thoughts on whether cigars are able to be brought back when they get dry?

I think alot depends on "how dry" for "how long". In a normal case...yes the can be brought back...but if you're getting into the extremes....probably a negative effect in taste could and would accure. :)

I've had personal success with it...so...

It depends on how dried-out they got and for how long. If they are very dry, you may be able to make them smokable again, but they won't be as enjoyable as if they hadn't gotten dry. They'll tend to smoke hot, burn too fast and not have the depth of flavor of a properly cared-for cigar. If they didn't dry out all that much then chances are better for restoring them.

If you want to try, you need to gradually re-humidfy them; don't just throw them in a 70% humidor. If you do that they'll absorb moisture too fast and possibly split. Put them in a tupperdor and gradually increase the humidity up to 65-70% over a period of a few weeks. At that point try smoking one and see how it goes. If it smokes ok then fine, but if not leave them a while longer. Sample one every so often until they're back to normal or you run out.

I was shone a way by my local tobacconist that sounded a little unconventional but worked like a charm. You take a zip-lock bag, place your puro's in side with a hum-a-stick 3/4 full, close the bag 90% and blow up the bag like a pillow, then seal it shut. Leave the bag alone for a week and repeat process 3 more times over a month and wam! all is good :thumbs:

Before I got my current humidor, I bought a box of LGC Churchills. I smoked several, enjoyed them, then just stopped smoking stogies for a while. They sat in their box for about 8-10 months. I then bought my humidor, found them, packed them in, and checked on them once in a while.
These cigars were bone dry. They did eventually come back to life, but there was a noticeable taste difference. I guess that is the real question, they can be bought back, but you might not want to bother.
Lou

As you probably already know, most of the "Flavors" we talk about in good cigars comes from the oils that all plants contain. The good leaves have a bit more of these flavor enhancing oils. As the H2O in the cigars disapates, it caries the oil away as well. You may replace the water, but you will not replace the oil. Thus, the drier they get, the less taste they will have left, outside of just plain harsh tobacco.

Give me a dark, shiny wrapper with loads of oil and I will enjoy the smoke, give me a dull dry wrapper and I will likely have to toss it ???

As the others have mentioned... if it's dried out to the point that all the oils are gone then it wouldn't be worth trying to salvage IMO. But... if the cigars are worth reviving the key is do it SLOWLY!

I'd introduce humidity to the cigar very slowly... increasing the RH by 5% each week. If you subject the dried cigars to too much humidity too quickly you'll probably end up with cigars with split wrappers. The humidity will be absorbed into the filler and expand and may cause the wrappers to crack.

I've re-humidified dried out cigars before and it's taken as long as a couple of months but they turned out pretty good! Good luck Bruddah!

Aloha,

Wade