• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Drinking in the office

classyndry

on injured reserve
A friend just emailed me a list of cocktails from the show Mad Men. It got me thinking about the good old days (which I never experienced first-hand). Do you thinking drinking in the office will ever come back into style? My office is not so different than the Sterling Cooper office. Most people have their own office. No cubicles, mostly mid-level people in the office during normal business hours, have to wear a coat and tie everyday, etc. I can't imagine being able to ever drink at work. I guess some people already get to drink, people in face to face sales (like on a golf course), etc. Thoughts?

Seems to have gone the way of the 3 Martini Lunch. Mostly frowned upon in the Banking/Finance industry, although I think some must think the taxpayers are drunk & stupid. I have a collection of bartending books, several from the 1950's that are very cool and talk about mixing drinks at work. BTW - I work from home & theoretically could drink all day... matter a fact i think I'll pop a cold one now as it's a frustrating day. ;)

Its hard to say if the 3 martini lunch is extinct. I've heard its popularity is due to the fact that vodka is harder to detect on the breath. I suppose I should be thankful my boss orders wine when we go out to lunch, but I'm jealous of your beer. Being stuck at this computer all day should at least earn me a scotch from time to time.

About twice a month we sit down on the conference room, have a smoke, nice cocktail and play some poker. This is the extent of our drinking at work, but it's pretty cool.

Seems to have gone the way of the 3 Martini Lunch. Mostly frowned upon in the Banking/Finance industry, although I think some must think the taxpayers are drunk & stupid. I have a collection of bartending books, several from the 1950's that are very cool and talk about mixing drinks at work. BTW - I work from home & theoretically could drink all day... matter a fact i think I'll pop a cold one now as it's a frustrating day. ;)

+1 for working at home and a frustrating day. I did the same, cracked a brew to enjoy while working.

About twice a month we sit down on the conference room, have a smoke, nice cocktail and play some poker. This is the extent of our drinking at work, but it's pretty cool.

Thats a sweet deal. The few times they let us drink, golf tournament, holiday party, etc, too many people overdo it. You'd think by the time you're over 30, 40, etc, you'd have learned your limit.

I drink all the time at work. It's the only way I can put up with those damn elves.

No drinking tolerated at my office unless you have left for the day. eg, no drinks at lunch

I used to do some filing for Department of Consumer Affairs back when. Every pay day, I'll go out for lunch, grab me a pint of Hennessy and down it within the hour. The day after I'll have to re-do the work I did when I was hammered. Good Times

I have drank at my current job several times. I work with mostly Europeans so wine is fairly common and alcohol is often provided at gatherings during the working hours. Last week chocolate filled with cognac was given to multiple members of my team. It's definitely an old-fashioned stodgy suit and tie place though. Very formal. I think because of how formal the job is, it allows for drinking. Everyone but the secretaries have their own office and mine is quite big despite being a lower level worker.

Several of us have small bar sets stashed away in our offices here. I'm going to guess the difference here is: I work in the industrial sector, and it's a privately owned business.

If I had to guess it's 5 out of 15 Managers, we generally only imbibe after hours, but on special occasions the booze comes out early.

A friend of mine worked a few years in Australia. Every Friday after lunch the managers would wheel in a cart full of wine and beer and workers would come take something and head back to their seats to work...

So, not only drinking at work but drinking alone in their cubes :)

A friend of mine worked a few years in Australia. Every Friday after lunch the managers would wheel in a cart full of wine and beer and workers would come take something and head back to their seats to work...

So, not only drinking at work but drinking alone in their cubes :)

Well yeah, but that's Australia. I think the average blood alchohol level there would earn them DUI in 44 of the 50 US States

A friend just emailed me a list of cocktails from the show Mad Men. It got me thinking about the good old days (which I never experienced first-hand). Do you thinking drinking in the office will ever come back into style? My office is not so different than the Sterling Cooper office. Most people have their own office. No cubicles, mostly mid-level people in the office during normal business hours, have to wear a coat and tie everyday, etc. I can't imagine being able to ever drink at work. I guess some people already get to drink, people in face to face sales (like on a golf course), etc. Thoughts?

With all that being said, lets see the list. I would be interested in reading it, assuming that doesn't breach a protocol I am not aware of...

Thanks

I used to work for an airline, where we would drink JW Black label once our last flight left MIA. We never had a problem, until a flight had return to the airport. It can be pretty crazy dealing with everyone coming off the plane after a flight returns. It's a good thing we were all drunk.

If the boss takes us out for lunch, we generally have a drink or 2.

However the company policy is that you are not allowed to work with BAC >.02 so I guess this really isn't officially endorsed by the company.

I deal with high explosives at work, so I wouldn't think of going to work after having a drink if I knew I was going out on a job afterward.

Company policy for my work group is no drinking 8 hours before your shift starts.

The only time I've drunk at work it was encouraged by both my then employer (a good friend of mine) who is one of the 2 primary owners of that business and his partner the other primary owner. It was a very casual job at a very small business.

I used to work at an advertising agency and it's funny because we would have a party and drink if we won a new account and we would also have a party and drink if we lost an account. Is that a win-win?

Not too many people drank regularly during the day. I was in I.T. so I was in a lot of different people's offices to fix computers/phones/etc. I found a few people with bottles of booze under their desks, etc. They didn't do much to hide it. Not a big deal unless it got in the way of your work.

Ah, how I love being in sales. Having a drink with a customer at lunch (if they are allowed to) is one of the perks as is golfing in the afternoon (or morning on occasion) and having a drink on the golf course is mandatory. Mondays are our office days so not much happens then but there are occasions.....