• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dry cigars

CigarLIFE718

I'm having an issue with some of my cigars. I noticed they are dry esp. The ones that are out of thr cello. I have 2 hygros ( top and bottom) both read almost identical. What can be the issue?

What are they both reading?
Are the hygrometers digital or analog?
Why do you say they are dry?

We need more info to help you out.
Paul

Tall Paul said:
Paul
Both read 68-70
Both digital and calibrated
Some cigars are hard. Wrappers are loose. Paper is cracking.

CigarLIFE718 said:

Paul
Both read 68-70
Both digital and calibrated
Some cigars are hard. Wrappers are loose. Paper is cracking.

I know a Canadian who needs those as a bomb...

Or a cranky Doc... :whistling:

-Trey

Why do you say that ? I have all the hygros I need... :p

That being said did uou ever benchmark / calibrate the hygro as to what they read ?

louich said:
Why do you say that ? I have all the hygros I need... :p
That being said did uou ever benchmark / calibrate the hygro as to what they read ?
Salt tested both of them and both read 75

CigarLIFE718 said:
I'm having an issue with some of my cigars. I noticed they are dry esp. The ones that are out of thr cello. I have 2 hygros ( top and bottom) both read almost identical. What can be the issue?

Oh man, there's your problem right there...... ;)

BlindedByScience said:

Oh man, there's your problem right there...... ;)
I kind of though that might be the problem...but how do people keep their cigars out of cellos ..also my Cubans didn't come in cellos

"but how do people keep their cigars out of cellos ..also my Cubans didn't come in cellos"

Step one: Don't take them out of cellos.

Step two: If they're not in cellos, they aren't in cellos.

Step three: Don't panic. Take your time, keep the humi closed...resist the urge to open and keep checking.

Cello on or no cello at all, cigars that are kept in the right humidity consitions will be humidified right....

Found on a website, no need to rephrase:

"The cellophane wrappers on cigars are permeable, allowing oxygen to pass from the inside of your humidor to your cigars. Air and humidity will pass through the wrapper membrane, albeit slowly, since the cello is permeable but not porous. In any case, you needn't worry about the ability of individual cigars to age properly if you keep the cello wrapper on, they will be able to "breathe."

If your cigars are in fact dry, they were either cery dry before you put them on in your humidor, of there is a problem with your hygrometers....

How's the seal on your humidor?

giannilibrizzi said:
Cello on or no cello at all, cigars that are kept in the right humidity consitions will be humidified right....
Found on a website, no need to rephrase:
"The cellophane wrappers on cigars are permeable, allowing oxygen to pass from the inside of your humidor to your cigars. Air and humidity will pass through the wrapper membrane, albeit slowly, since the cello is permeable but not porous. In any case, you needn't worry about the ability of individual cigars to age properly if you keep the cello wrapper on, they will be able to "breathe."
If your cigars are in fact dry, they were either cery dry before you put them on in your humidor, of there is a problem with your hygrometers....
How's the seal on your humidor?
Seal is good. It just seems to be the ones out of cello. Good thing I don't have many of them out.

Hmm, 68-70 is a decent humidity for smoking in my opinion. I'd lock them down, leave it for a month or so without checking. Don't be tempted to try to rush the rehydration, your cigars will pop. Was the humi properly seasoned before putting cigars in?

Something is indeed funny here. Were the cigar bone dry when you put them in ?

Take everything out of the humidor and place in a transparent food container with Boveda Packs. You want it transparent so you can read the Hygrometer that you're going to put in it.

Close the humidor and let it sit overnight.

Take a reading in the morning.

You might have to re-season.

Put the hygrometer in the food container for at least 8, better 24 hrs. Take a reading. Should match the Boveda or higher.

Take the hygrometer out and put it in a ziplock with the boveda. Let sit. Take a reading. Should match the Boveda within the printed tolerance. if not, your Hygro is off and you have to adjust.

MadMonk said:
Take everything out of the humidor and place in a transparent food container with Boveda Packs. You want it transparent so you can read the Hygrometer that you're going to put in it.

Close the humidor and let it sit overnight.

Take a reading in the morning.

You might have to re-season.

Put the hygrometer in the food container for at least 8, better 24 hrs. Take a reading. Should match the Boveda or higher.

Take the hygrometer out and put it in a ziplock with the boveda. Let sit. Take a reading. Should match the Boveda within the printed tolerance. if not, your Hygro is off and you have to adjust.
The thing is that it's not all cigars..its some...maybe they were dry when I put them in there

Mornin'.

Man, is it morning...0330. *Yawn*

Ok, let's back up and work the problem again.

1. Is your humi opaque? Meaning, can you see your hygro through it while closed or do you need to open the look at it?
 - If you have to keep opening the humi, you're wasting your time. Stop it.

2. Have you pulled the dry smokes out and followed the re-humidify answers found in search?
 - http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/50713-gifted-dried-out-cigars/?hl=%2Brehumidify+%2Bcigars#entry752203
 - just one example pulled from Search...took all of ten seconds.

3. The number of smokes dry is of little import; the goal is to get them all up where they need to live. No need to mention that again.

4. Monk gave you excellent advice, did you follow it?

Bottom line: If your smokes are dry, and require re humidification, it will take TIME and PATIENCE. Stop worrying about a few smokes and move on. Read up on it, follow advice and then just be prepared to have lost a few along the way. Life moves.

-Trey

Take a picture of the whole setup and post it.

Is it a glass top humi?  Maybe its just a matter of rotating stock.

The point is, you need to separate all components and figure out just what is contributing to the situation.