• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Drymistat/hygrometer problem?

ziptrickhead

Reaction score
Well I bought a Drymistat about 2 weeks ago. Also bought a hygrometer from radio shack a week ago and it tested to 76% (so +1). Well in my tupperdor with approx 20-25 cigars the hygrometer keeps on reading at approx 75%. Meanwhile when I tossed in another 20 cigars the humidity went to 70%. Took out the extra and once again it jumps to 75% I had gotten the cigars from the JR in manhatten; were they too moist to begin with? Since the Drymistat is fairly new does that mean that theres no room left in the beads to reabsorb moisture?

Also, the cigars do feel pretty dry. I'm pretty new to cigars so i'm not 100% sure how they should feel, but they dont exactly feel moist at all. Whenever I squeeze one you can hear the wrapper. Had a connie today and it kept on burning unevenly. The wrapper was also brittle (cracked a bit a the foot end) and when I cut the cap some of the wrapper cracked off. Im guessing thats happening because they're too dry but the hygrometer did test pretty accurately so i don't know what to do now...

To me it sounds like the cigars are too MOIST.

The cracking at the foot is a sign that the binder and filler leaves are expanding too much, forcing the wrapper to crack. Do you notice that the foot looks bigger than the head? The wrapper cracking at the head can just be an issue of the cutter; how sharp it is etc. Overly moist cigars can also burn unevenly as you noted. I don't think using the "sound" of the cigar is very good; all cigars will crackle depending on the force you use. They should be moderately springy, not soft or mushy.

When you added the 2nd batch of cigars, the humidity probably went down because the 1st group of cigars were more humid.

I would suggest taking the Drymistat out, and seeing what the humidity % is at. Then adding the 2nd group of cigars in there and checking again. Over 70% is a bit much for me, I tend to prefer 65-68%.

Many retailers over humidify their walk-in humidors. The cigars could also have been over humidified if they were placed near a humidity vent or something.

Hope this helps...

Well i did check the size and it looks even. I did try taking out the drymistat and it went to about 70% so i guess i'll just keep it out until the humidty starts dropping too much.

I dont have the second group since it was my friends and i jsut borrowed it to see. Still, ive been to JRs 2 times in the past 2 weeks and will prob be going again this week so i'll prob get another.

As for cutting, I sharpen my knives to the point where they can slice hanging newspaper to ribbons so sharpness shouldnt be a problem. I work slowly around the cap until it comes off.

It helped plenty, thanks!