• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition

hoshnasi

Hobbling hero

My D&D experience started in college with version 3/3.5. I liked it alot, but it had a steep learning curve. Couple that with drinking and we often spent alot of time sorting out the details and rules of some of our crazier ideas we had "Can I play a Pixie fighter?" - "Sure! Just let me get the rule book and give me 30 minutes."

However, that complexity did allow anything to happen and we had tons of fun and fond memories.

Naturally when 4th edition came out I heard alot of nay-saying "Its dumbed down", "It has lost all flexibility", and so on. My buddy in particular (our DM) didn't really think much of it. That changed last week when he sat down and read some of the core rules. In and instant he snatched up the book and started making a campaign, which we started last night. A abridged version of a review would be "Tons of fun, without getting stuck in the rules. Or having to remember too much of those same rules."

I had a character made in 20 minutes with the help of the guided list towards the front of the players hand-book. Rolling stats, GONE. replaced with a pretty straight forward point system, all stats start at 8 and you invest "points" to raise them up. I went with more of a even slope with my highest two stats being 16, (str and int). The rogue went full 18 in dex. Why I saw this as a value was WE NO LONGER HAD TO ROLL STATS!!!!! THANK THE LORD. We have literally spent the whole night getting through everyones rolls. Often our tank would end up completely gimped with a horrible stat-line too :(

The next thing I appreciated was the new power system. Regardless if you are a caster, cleric, rogue or fighter you have these new exploits. There are At-Will powers that can be performed at anytime, an example is magic missile. Yes, that is right, magic missile is now more of a usable skill that can miss that a spell. GONE are the days of spell points and saying "Well, we're all going to camp till the cleric regens his sp." There is also Encounter Powers which can be used once per experience (5-6 minute rest period to regen) and Daily Powers. Which again can only be used once and then require a day to regen. Daily Powers are very powerful, followed by Encounter and then daily which make up the meat and potatoes of attacking and replace "Slash" and other stands like "Shoot".

I could go on and on here, but in the end I think 4th edition will get a pretty wide following, much more so that 3rd edition. While playing a friends girlfriend when watching us battling some kobolds said "Ok, this is pretty cool I want to play" she read the players handbook for ten minutes and had a pretty good idea of how everything works in making a character. She had never played D&D and no concept of table-top gaming.

Expect things to get expensive though. I can already predict a huge number of expansion books to follow the players handbook. More so than 3rd edition. There is alot of meat left off in the current players handbook and a bunch of standard classes like the bard and monk have disappeared. I expect to see them in expansion books relatively soon.

Give it a whirl if you used to play D&D!

For +1 point, does anyone know where D&D was invented.

hint: my father's place of birth.

Lake Geneva, WI, if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting write up. My heyday was roughly when D&D became AD&D which became 2nd Edition, so I'm pretty resistant to/suspicious of a lot of the changes you've mentioned.

I'd certainly be down for playing if I had a group to play with. I had a regular game about 10 years ago. It was pretty amusing playing from an adult perspective.

gygax.gif

I used to play a hybrid of AD&D and DnD v3, which was a lot of fun because of all the character customization you could do with the class specific rule books from ADnD. Heh, I was about...13 back then, and was kind of stupid, so I died a lot. I got so good at making a character that I could do one up in about 8 minutes for any class. Those were some fun days, I miss that game sometimes.

Anyways, I did hear that they dumbed the game down a lot for v4, but really it's more about how good your DM is, and less about how strict/explicit the rules are.

I'm a bit dubious, but I haven't played in 15+ years, so who knows. I like the idea of a simpler system, overall, as I did think AD&D tended to bog down in the details... but then again, once you got used to the details, it was a pretty rich environment.

So, you like, play this, like, without a keyboard & monitor? How do you see what happens?

Imagination? I... I don't understand. :p :whistling: :laugh:

Buncha nerds! ;)

Last time I played was in '86 or '87, so I wasn't aware that there was a second edition, let alone a third and fourth. Had some great times playing and not doing my homework in High School.

I wonder if Gygax died knowing the impact he had on the grid paper industry.

Never played, but used to watch the cartoon on Saturday mornings.

This is for WOW but I think it applies here as well..

WOWVirgins001.gif

<bloodninja> Oh yeah, aight. Aight, I put on my robe and wizard hat.