• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Duty Free Shopping

Peter_K

Wifey and I are going on a vacation out of the country. What are the rules on coming back into the country with booze? In the past if I bough booze at the duty free shop at my departure point, they used to hand it to you at the gate. I understand you can not have liquid amongst your carry on bags anymore. Anyone have any experience with this?

last time I was in the virgin islands it was 5 bottles (750's - not handles) of anything or 6 if the 6th was a locally produced bottle.

I just got back from a cruise in October and the customs forms said 2 bottles. The Customs Agent really did check the form too but he let me slide on the third bottle.

Not sure if it's too late for you on this one, but I think what you're asking is how you can get your hands on anything you buy at the airport before your trip? Well, I'm not sure about that one, perhaps since they are bringing it from the shop, and it's sealed, they consider it safe.

As far as bringing back liquor at the end of your trip, how much you can bring back depends on where you are going. If you are in the US Virgin Islands you can bring back 5 litres, 6 if it's a locally produced product (rum). Most anywhere else you are limited to two litres per person. I think the consensus is that the tax you'll pay to customs on any extra bottles you bring back is minimal, and you'll still be saving money.