• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Egomaniac Cigar Bloggers?

I wonder which ones Gary was referring to? I like reading cigar reviews, but as soon as they say they don't like Davidoff I know they're LYING! :sign: :whistling: :laugh:

Most humans have an ego much larger than they would care to admit, or are even capable of seeing. It can be argued that it is the single largest obstacle to personal happiness.

Nice article.
BTW, I'm looking forward to Four Kicks as E.P. Carillo is making them, and I can't see him putting out a bad cigar.

I wonder which ones Gary was referring to? I like reading cigar reviews, but as soon as they say they don't like Davidoff I know they're LYING! :sign: :whistling: :laugh:

I'm not a big fan of Davidoffs :sign:

And aren't all bloggers a bit egotistical? As with twitter, if you blog, you think other people should be interested in your opinion. Otherwise why bother?

I have been thinking of starting a blog myself, does that mean.... LOL

hey, I blog....I suck, but I blog anyway

What does it matter if a cigar blogger is egomaniacal or not? The way I see it these bloggers are presenting themselves as critics, which is fine. More power to them if they can manage to gain a following. Actually when I really think about wine critics, it seems to me that the ones who tend to have the biggest following are the most egomaniacal ones. Why would it be any different when it comes to cigars?

You think cigar bloggers are bad, read the wine snob blogs sometime. Now, those guys / gals are full goose bozo......

I tend to agree with BBS and thechenman. I would actually rather have them be a little egotistical than not, then maybe I find one that my tastes align with and I find more sticks I like. So blog away and be honest.

If the inflated ego is backed by years of smoking cigars, it can make for an interesting read. But I usually find experience and ego are inversely related. A lot of the blogs I've stumbled upon are by people who have smoked for 2yrs or less and think they've seen it all. Now if Doc were to blog... :thumbs:

My problem with some cigar bloggers is that they Judge a cigar based on smoking one stick, and oftentimes with such certainty and authority.
If you consider all the variables in shipping, handling, storage, from manufacturer to B&M, you have to smoke quite a few to get an idea of the the blend the way the Blender composed it.
To get too sure of themselves after no meaningful exposure to the cigar is a bit, comical and just exposes their inexperience. How does the same cigar go from 94 to 88 rating in cigar aficionado? Is it really because of crops, rollers, etc? Probably some, but how many date the boxes, and give out info on crops, etc.? Then there are the aforementioned handling factors.

I would like to see them give full disclosure on their experience. I.e., age, years smoking, how long they had the cigar in storage and under what conditions.
If anything, it helps me determine if they are an overzealous newbie, or someone who is experienced, methodical, and intelligent.

My problem with some cigar bloggers is that they Judge a cigar based on smoking one stick, and oftentimes with such certainty and authority.
If you consider all the variables in shipping, handling, storage, from manufacturer to B&M, you have to smoke quite a few to get an idea of the the blend the way the Blender composed it.
To get too sure of themselves after no meaningful exposure to the cigar is a bit, comical and just exposes their inexperience. How does the same cigar go from 94 to 88 rating in cigar aficionado? Is it really because of crops, rollers, etc? Probably some, but how many date the boxes, and give out info on crops, etc.? Then there are the aforementioned handling factors.

I would like to see them give full disclosure on their experience. I.e., age, years smoking, how long they had the cigar in storage and under what conditions.
If anything, it helps me determine if they are an overzealous newbie, or someone who is experienced, methodical, and intelligent.

Amen, and I think all of us have had bad cigars of a brand and type we love on occasion. In no way should anyone make a judgement after smoking just one.

May be to get a stunning shiny look sometimes, I heard that cigars are often coated with mineral oils. Dark cigars are my favorites. Maduro cigars fall in this category, they give an immensely pleasure while smoking.

Daniel Stauffer