• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

EL SURCO

Sunward

another brother
Well, as mentioned, we had a baby, and never made it to Cuba. The rest of the family went. Someone picked up a box (very plain wrapped), from the bartender at a resort. They are 5" by 42" ring, with no triple cap. they have a band, which i haven't heard of before. Since regular black market Cubans in Cuba have skyrocketed in price, they bought a box of these generic cgars. At a buck a piece, they smell good, almost "fresh". I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of them?

I think El Surco is the name of an old Cuban cigar factory.

Thanks for the reply, I had not clue what the name meant. here is a pic. The constructions varies between cigar, so think will set one ablaze today, see what they are like, for a dollar/stick cigar. :)

Nicholas272.jpg

Since they were only a buck, I would want to do a disection before I lit one up.

Doc

Never heard of El Surco, but from the look of it, I'd say its probably a peso cigar made for local consumption (Bauza and Reloba are the two peso cigars you usually see...if you see any at all). Peso cigars only make it out of Cuba in tourists' hands, as they aren't made for export at all, just for the locals to puff on. I highly doubt it's "counterfeit," as who in the hell would want to counterfeit a cigar that usually only costs one Cuban peso (just shy of 4 USD cents, for those who don't know).

You say they cost a buck a piece....is that USD? Canadian dollar? Cuban convertible peso? If your relatives actually bought it for one US or Canadian buck, they overpaid.....probably just because if you're carrying dollars, the locals will inflate the price a little, since it'll still be cheap to you and, as noted before, a US or Can. dollar is worth A LOT of pesos.

EDIT: Your relatives might've used Cuban convertible peso, which is valued nearly the same as the dollar...so yet again, the locals make some money off tourists.

I'd try it out...probably isn't going to be the best thing you've ever smoked, but might still be a good yard 'gar. Hey, it IS Havana leaf after all. ;)

I haven't heard of that brand but looks like a Peso cigar to me too. The band is similar to other Peso bands, in it's simplicity. You'll probably find that it tastes similar to a Jose Piedra. As for the price...sorry to say but that was a bigger ripoff than a glass top box. I would also FREEZE them. Peso cigars can have the worst case of beetle infestation you will ever see.

Well, i did a disection, and smoked one. My conclusion: They consist of Wrapper, Binder, and Filler. They burn all the way to the nub without going out. The ash is motled grey. the taste is "earthy" but not unpleasant at all, and reminds me more of a RASS. Although a couple people seem to think that paying a peso (CUC) is an extremely large price, i beg to differ, they will serve me just fine for a yard gar. I would aggree they are a "peso" cigar, but I cannot find a cheaper smoke for under a buck hand rolled, and Cuban. To each is their own.

the burn:

c75e7aef.jpg

Pic: Wrapper leaf on top, binder under, and filler on the bottom.

1749eaad.jpg

All that matters is that you like it...and you can't beat a Cuban yard gar for that price! :thumbs: