• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Electrical tape in my humidor

Chris69

Hello gents,
I recently undertook converting an old china cabinet into a large humidor. I would call it a success overall, however, I had some issues with the glass sides allowing air in. Not wanting to permanently seal them shut (I run ribbon cables under the glass for fans), I electrical taped the edges. The humidity stabilized perfectly, but the cabinet now has a slight smell of electrical tape. My question is, simply, will the cigars absorb this as a flavor? I know that cigars stored in a cooler don't end up tasting like a cooler smells, so I'm hoping it's the same here. Anybody have some ideas or experience?

From what I understand any sort of object that off-gasses (plastic, etc.) can impart some sort of flavor to the cigars. I have never worked with converting furniture to a humidor so I can't say too much more.

However, Do this: linky

...and you will most likely receive loads more info!

Welcome to CP!
-Greg

Generally any smell you have in there, that it noticeable to you, can be infused into the cigars. This is why many cigars end up taking on notes of cedar from being stored in cedar lined humidors. My suggestion, if you are looking for something that you won't run the chance of tainting your cigars,would be to use a rubber seal. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and see what you can dig up, be creative. You can treat the rubber with some mild bleach and water and then let it air dry to get the smell of rubber to dissipate.

Maybe there is some sort of window putty that can be used for the same purpose that doesn't off gas? I would think the possibility of the cigars taking on the smell might exist as a lot of people take time to clean brand new cooledors to try to remove the plastic smell they can emit when new.

You could also try a box of baking soda in there (not sure if the cigars should be removed or not for this) to try to remove the smell. Or try a different quality or kind of tape. If you like the look of the black tape, maybe you could try some cloth tape like one might use to wrap the end of a baseball bat or something. Might emit less odor.

I know the pain.Once i broke the glass in one of my humidors.I had the idea to tape it but after a confrontation with one of my local cigar shoppe owner i decided to get rid of the humi and replace with new one.Wasn't worth to add any chemical smell to 150$ humi and ruin 300$ worth of cigars.I just got brand new humi.Now i got like 10 different size humidors and i am planning to get rif of all of them and buy 2000 sticks tower humi.