• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Embarrassing 8-9-8 Question

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
I feel kind of dumb asking this, but I can't find a definitive answer through searching or Teh Googles.

I get that "8-9-8" is so called due to the boxing.  However, is there any sort of flavor profile or construction uniformity to an 8-9-8 line?  What makes that particular packaging so important as to have its own identity?

I've had from Fuente and Ashton.  I enjoyed them both.  When discussing the 8-9-8 here, what cigar is typically being referred to?  I originally just assumed it was the Fuente... then the Ashton.  There are many 8-9-8's it seems, so which is the cigar being referred to that needs only be identified as an "8-9-8"?

I could be wrong, but as far as Cubans go, all of the 8-9-8 that I found are dalias with a 170x43 measurement.  Some of the older 8-9-8 I found did have a slightly different but close sizing.  Non CC's could be a whole different ballgame.

Fuente makes most Ashton lines. The rest are made by My Father cigars. I think it's just a Fuente thing.

Don't be embarrassed because you aren't the only one who is clueless. I only recently just realized that 8-9-8 related to the boxing. I hadn't even made the next intellectual leap to be able to ask your question.

Not sure what the original was as the Partagas 898 is originally from only as far back as sometime in the 1970's.

I assumed its only related to the boxing configuration and possibly ring gauge of around 43. 8-9-8 is not an official vitola in the Habanos world as far as I know. I also do not believe 8-9-8 denotes a specific profile or construction related issue. I believe I read some years back the row of 8, row of 9, row of 8 packing came about out of a practical reason some time ago. Maybe box size, shipping restrictions, etc.

Well, that certainly answers the "why" question rather definitively.  :)

Now, which particular cigar are most referring to here when saying simply, "8-9-8"?

One of my favorite cigars... Partagas put the 8 - 9 - 8 rows in a varnished box to allow the oils of each cigar to mingle together, for proper aging. While this was a common practice in "cabs", this was a way to allow for a more compact sized box.

Fuente makes the 8-5-8, a different format (and completely unrelated to) the Cuban Partagas 8-9-8.

Fuente's is named 8-5-8 because Arturo Fuente was 85 when he died and the family wanted to honor him with something that represented him from beginning to end, so they turned his age into a palindrome.

The others are named based on box format, the Cuban ones came first; the others like Ashton and Fonseca are simply copying the packaging format (and coming close in cigar size).

StogieNinja said:
Fuente makes the 8-5-8, a different format (and completely unrelated to) the Cuban Partagas 8-9-8.

Fuente's is named 8-5-8 because Arturo Fuente was 85 when he died and the family wanted to honor him with something that represented him from beginning to end, so they turned his age into a palindrome.

The others are named based on box format, the Cuban ones came first; the others like Ashton and Fonseca are simply copying the packaging format (and coming close in cigar size).

Huh. Cool to know. Thanks!

-Trey

When someone says they smoked an 898, they're referring to the Cuban Partagas vitola.  As mentioned before, if a cigar's packaging is described as 8-9-8, it's 3 rows of cigars - 8 on the bottom, 9 in the middle, 8 on top, total of 25 cigars. (As opposed to 5 rows of 5 or a row of 12 and a row of 13).