• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

EMERGENCY

thriller1911

Reaction score
I was giving the pipe I got off of Ebay the once over before i filled it or a test run. I guess i used too much pressure because there is now a small section of pipe cleaner IN THE STEM that I can't get out! please help!

So the cleaner broke? I've never heard of that happening.

I'm not sure what I'd do about that. Let me do some thinking and research...

Yeah it broke..I believe I was a bit overzealous in trying to pull it out, because it kinda bent. When I gingerly pulled, it came right off. I was thinking about soaking the whole stem in atmos fresholator, and I've been online looking for something that would break the cotton down. If it's any help, the cleaner was a B.J. Long's extra long tapered cleaner.

I'm guessing it was the fat end that broke?

Have you tried pushing through another cleaner (normal sized, non-tapered) from the opposite direction? It would need to be very wet, but that may work. I wouldn't be soaking the stem in anything to break down the cotton, that sounds like trouble. If you have access to guitar strings, one of the wound strings may be enough to push it out if approached from the opposite side.

By opposite side I mean the end from which it broke. I'm assuming it was up by the bit, so I'd start at that end of the stem.

If it's an older pipe, don't get too crazy. I've split older stems right down the middle trying to force fat cleaners through.

Yes, a much older pipe. My guess it was made at least 20 years ago. Yeah, I've tried the opposite end job to no avail. I probably will have to find some guitar strings; I was thinking of that concept. I honestly think that all isn't lost, just that to restore it to pre-clog will take some work and patience.

Look for a shop nearby that sells pipes. Many will also service them as well. If you cannot find anyone contact Tower Pipes & Cigars as they service and repair pipes all the time. I believe you can ship the pipe to them and they will take care of it and ship it back.

BTW ... Mark Just at Tower is one of our most respected vendors here and I am lucky to call him a friend.

- Jason

Stick one of those wire hangers down it and see if you can get it out.

An update--I was at work and an engineer tried to get it out using a very tiny drill bit..it was working until the stem cracked and the pipe cleaner started to push through. Ah well, hopefully I can find a place that can semi- match the stem, it was a beauty. I'll talk numbers with the guys listed above; Boswells quoted me about $20 for a replacement. I'll be in Columbus this weekend, maybe I can find something there. Everyone who added input, thanks a million. Oh, while I talked to JM (I think it was him) I ordered some berry cobbler, apple streudel, and another one..I guess my day wasn't totally in vain.