• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

End of trade embargo

Lew said this once before... if you read his "editorials" he's given this opinion numbers of times!

There was a good piece on the Cuban embargo and the exiled Cubans here in Florida on NPR. Check out the website and try and track it down. It should be archived there as they've just played it this morning.

I'll believe it when I see it, myself....

Darren :angry:

You people should know by know that it it's on TV or the internet it has to be true.

:sign:

You have to change the title of this topic or something please!

Every time I check the forums I glance and see "End of trade embargo" and just for a brief moment I get really excited, Just for a moment I believe that through some stroke of fate or agreement between Raul Castro and our gov. something has been worked out :laugh: . Then I remember I have seen this thread several times and should know by now the moment I see the title that the embargo has not been lifted :angry: .

I love Lew's business........but he's full of shite.

He's only saying it so you'll go buy a bundle of old Dominican dog rockets so he can "make room." :laugh:

I believe him. As of right now, I'm cleaning all the NC's out of my stash.

Lew and me are gonna be ready.

I seem to remember that about 3-4 years ago, in one of JR cigars flyers, you could send Lew $200 or so, to reserve your box of cubans that he had the trade mark too when the embargo ended.

money well spent. :whistling:

I am lucky enough to have the choice of Cubans or Others, and can say IMO the Cubans I have tried are not as good as the Dominicans or Nicaraguans.
A prime example of this is in my humidor I have Ramon Allones both Cuban and Dominican. And the Dominican blows the Cuban out of the water.

I am lucky enough to have the choice of Cubans or Others, and can say IMO the Cubans I have tried are not as good as the Dominicans or Nicaraguans.
A prime example of this is in my humidor I have Ramon Allones both Cuban and Dominican. And the Dominican blows the Cuban out of the water.

I've heard some other BOTL from overseas say this and it totally boggles my mind!

Just as with a lot of Americans here, I'm sure you've got some cigar-smoking friends in Australia who think you're out of your mind for liking non-Cubans more that Cubans.

Even me, personally, I think even the lowliest machine-made Quintero blows the socks off half the non-Cuban cigars out there. Only NCs I've had that ever did it for me was Tatuaje...some, like Punch and Padron, are good cigars but not quite as pleasurable as a Cuban to me...everything else, even the high-lauded OpusX (another cigar that I just can't understand why it's so loved), taste bland. I've long gotten past the "forbidden fruit" stage...in every way, a Cuban cigar just tastes more complex and more flavorful to me.

It just goes to show you how subjective taste is. As long as you enjoy it, then that's all that matters! :D

Do the non-Cubans usually run cheaper than Habanos in Australia? If so, then your taste in cigars is very convenient (unlike mine). :laugh:

I've heard some other BOTL from overseas say this and it totally boggles my mind!

Just as with a lot of Americans here, I'm sure you've got some cigar-smoking friends in Australia who think you're out of your mind for liking non-Cubans more that Cubans.

Even me, personally, I think even the lowliest machine-made Quintero blows the socks off half the non-Cuban cigars out there. Only NCs I've had that ever did it for me was Tatuaje...some, like Punch and Padron, are good cigars but not quite as pleasurable as a Cuban to me...everything else, even the high-lauded OpusX (another cigar that I just can't understand why it's so loved), taste bland. I've long gotten past the "forbidden fruit" stage...in every way, a Cuban cigar just tastes more complex and more flavorful to me.

It just goes to show you how subjective taste is. As long as you enjoy it, then that's all that matters! :D

Do the non-Cubans usually run cheaper than Habanos in Australia? If so, then your taste in cigars is very convenient (unlike mine). :laugh:
Consistency notwithstanding, cigar preference is completely subjective. Their are no absolutes. There are some who find the Cuban taste profile to be disgusting. Cubans are just one of many types of cigars that you prefer or don't prefer according to your likes or dislikes.

They also happen to be forbidden fruit in the USA, which adds to their appeal here. I think that's why you find more non-US consumers that find them less appealing. They don't have that added flavor enhancer outside our borders.

I don't find it surprising at all; personal taste is what it is. Cigars are just cigars, no matter where they are from.

Anyway, I don't put much credence in Lew's claim of the imminent lifting of the embargo, but certainly one day it will go away. I'd imagine the tourism industry will be a huge beneficiary when it does.

I can buy Cubans Cheaper than others.and not fake Cubans
I choose to buy my Cigars from FSS as they are 25% to 50% cheaper than buying over here even with the Aussie Govt import charges

Man, I kinda hope Lew IS right, for the sake of our brethren here and in other places who have or might be getting the dreaded "letter" ???

I didn't realize how bad it's getting until I read the really long 20+ page thread on it over on another board.

I wouldn't count on things getting any better when Fidel dies. Raul is the mean one remember? I just don't see an inprovement in human rights under him. Communism isn't the real issue any longer. It's human rights and property rights and Florida votes.

Hey, we have a shot!

Cindy Sheehan is in Havana right now, if anyone can make a difference she can.

Hmmm... Ramping up enforcement with the "letters" and now Lew's talk of the embargo ending... Strange. :whistling:

Then again - knowing Lew's business we may be seeing a new Quintero "blend" on the horizon for JR... :laugh:

Raul's been making overtures to the US that he wants to normalize US-Cuba relations, but the US has been adamant so far that they won't do it unless he makes Cuba more economically open and politically free.

In the end, it would be in Cuba's best interest to follow China's lead and open up. There already IS some free enterprise, but the government acts as a big stumbling block to commerce. And I don't think this can realistically happen until the US is once again a market that Cuba has access to. So it's the chicken and the egg.

It'll be interesting to see how a Democrat-controlled Congress will affect all this, especially if Castro does kick the bucket soon.

I wouldn't count on things getting any better when Fidel dies. Raul is the mean one remember? I just don't see an inprovement in human rights under him. Communism isn't the real issue any longer. It's human rights and property rights and Florida votes.

Raul's been making overtures to the US that he wants to normalize US-Cuba relations, but the US has been adamant so far that they won't do it unless he makes Cuba more economically open and politically free.

In the end, it would be in Cuba's best interest to follow China's lead and open up. There already IS some free enterprise, but the government acts as a big stumbling block to commerce. And I don't think this can realistically happen until the US is once again a market that Cuba has access to. So it's the chicken and the egg.

It'll be interesting to see how a Democrat-controlled Congress will affect all this, especially if Castro does kick the bucket soon.

China has no form of human rights, it's still a totalitarian communist country, but of course that won't stop the U.S. who would willing do business with any country as long as there is profit to be made. China didn't willingly open up their borders, it was forced to. I totally agree that Cuba establishing free trade with the U.S. would be mutually benefitial, but I hope they don't succumb the same way the East did.