• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Enough is enough

shadowryder1

The other day I saw that a state back east, I want to say Maryland, had a town that passed an incredibly stupid law. Smoke may not cross property lines. Yes, you read correctly. So if you are smoking in the privacy of your backyard and the smoke just happens to go over into the neigbor's backyard and that neighbor complains, you pay a fine and it isn't cheap.

I can't believe it. I wonder what is coming next. When will it stop? BBQ smoke? Did you know that is said to have carcinogens in it. Fireplace smoke? That has carcinogens in it.  Can you fine a neighbor if their house goes up in smoke? Who decides what is "hazardous" smoke and what isn't?

It is hard to realize that folks are so bored in thier lives that they just sit around and think up dumb stuff like this. Worse yet, it is getting put into law.

Deb  :0

Deb

That is incredible :angry: I was wondering when something like this was going to get started. My next door neighbor often asks me who smokes cigars at my house... :0 Wow!
Later,
Eigen

Deb,

You're right, it was in Maryland and it was the the county council for Montgomery County(north of Washington, DC) that passed the law. The law is supposed to be a clean air law and it is not only for smoke but for any odor that can bother a person. A fine will be levied against anyone whose "bad air" eminates from their property and is not contained within their property line.

Within this county is the town of Friendship Heights that tried earlier this year to enact a law against smoking in any open areas(sidewalks, parks, parking lots, etc.) within the town limits. Fortunately that law was rejected by the courts. But it looks like the same type of goofballs that were on that town council is on the county council. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

While I can see that this would be good in some cases, I fear the extremist.

Next you will get a fine if the smoke travels farther than the car window.

I also heard this last week. I heard the fine is $750??? News stories always contradict each other, so I'm not sure if the $750 fine is actually the figure. Anyways, it sure is strange what's happening... Brings a new meaning to "freedom"...

Rod, you're right. the fine is $750.

Martin Mayorga of Mayorga Cigars and Coffee has his coffee roasting plant in Rockville, MD in Montgomery County. He stated on the JRBB that there is a Federal government office near his plant and that one of the employee from that office has complained to the EPA about the smell of the roasted coffee bothering him as he walks to his car. Martin has EPA inspectors coming in and checking his plant because of this idiot's complaint. :angry:

modF, there is the extremist factor you fear.

For once I truly applaud the ACLU. I heard they have gotten wind of this and are working on it. I heard the fine was $750 as well.

I am going to write each member of that council who voted yes and let them know that I think they are bastardizing our constitutional meaning of freedom and personal rights.

I also intend to write the Senators of that state, my Senator and the White House. I believe in state's rights but not when it becomes idiotic. Imagine, complaining of the coffee plant smell. That person shouldn't have chosen to work there. The coffee plant was there long before they were.

I would encourage anyone who is concerned about this to write as well.

DT  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

As one would have thought this Idea would have come from the Tree Huggers here in California, but it didn't.
We did however have a city pass an ordinance that it was illegal to Smoke in your own car while in thier town. It was repealled after they lost a legal challenge.

The basis I believe for overturning this MA case shouldn't be anthing other choclate chip cookies. Now if your neghbor is baking cookies can you not smell them? Well then they too shal be fined on an equal basis, Once this action is taken even Betty the tree Hugger Crocker will Cry Fowl.

I too can understand that people who don't smoke shouldnt have to be subjected to it, but this PC crap is getting way out of hand. In Florida, they passed a law (although its RARLEY) enforced, that you can't smoke in your own car for fear of distraction and visibility being imaired! At least its not a moving violation.