• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

EO - Rocky Patel merger

I don't think I'm happy with this....

Edit:

From jorel's link:

This news follows the April 27 announcement that United Tobacco was splitting with distributor Miami Cigar & Co.

Ortega said this morning that EO Brands would keep its blends the same but lower prices considerably. "The prices are going to go down anywhere from $2 to $3 per cigar," he said.

Miami Cigar is Pepin, no? He was doing their blending I thought. I can't say I'm too optimistic in their ability to keep the blends.

My local B&M just mentioned it to me as he was trying to purchase some EO and got the word. Here's story from CA

John

I don't think I'm happy with this....

Edit:

From jorel's link:

This news follows the April 27 announcement that United Tobacco was splitting with distributor Miami Cigar & Co.

Ortega said this morning that EO Brands would keep its blends the same but lower prices considerably. "The prices are going to go down anywhere from $2 to $3 per cigar," he said.

Miami Cigar is Pepin, no? He was doing their blending I thought. I can't say I'm too optimistic in their ability to keep the blends.
No, Miami is Nestor Miranda. Pepin does Cubao, Special Selection and 601 for them.

Here is the article from Cigar Aficionado's website:

Rocky Patel Premium Cigars, the fast-growing cigar company from Naples, Florida, has acquired a 50 percent interest in United Tobacco, the owners of the highly rated 601 and Cubao cigar brands. United Tobacco's cigars will now be sold and distributed by Rocky Patel, and the company has been renamed EO Brands, which stands for Espinosa and Ortega, the co-founders of United. Both men will continue to operate EO Brands.

601 brand cigars, which have done quite well in Cigar Aficionado and Cigar Insider ratings, range in price from around $6.50 to $9.50 per cigar. The 601 Box Press Maduro Toro, Cigar Aficionado's No. 6 cigar of 2009, has a suggested retail price of $9.30. It is made by My Father Cigars in Estelí, Nicaragua.

Seems to more or less be a distribution deal, though I'd be interested to see if there's a change in where they're produced.

From what I was told, Pepin will continue to make cigars under the EO label. Rocky will be distributing them and has also bought part ownership of the company. But the decisions governing the operation of EO brands and the development of blends will continue to be done by Erik and Eddie.

I'd also like to add that Erik and Eddie wanted to lower their retail prices per stick but couldn't do so with MCC doing their distribution. Personally, I think this relationship will work out well for everyone.

From what I was told, Pepin will continue to make cigars under the EO label. Rocky will be distributing them and has also bought part ownership of the company. But the decisions governing the operation of EO brands and the development of blends will continue to be done by Erik and Eddie.

I'd also like to add that Erik and Eddie wanted to lower their retail prices per stick but couldn't do so with MCC doing their distribution. Personally, I think this relationship will work out well for everyone.

Until Rocky wants to release another 5,000 blends a year under the EO brand name that is. ;)

Until Rocky wants to release another 5,000 blends a year under the EO brand name that is. ;)

Won't happen. What Rocky releases will be released under Rocky's name. What Erik and Eddie decide to release will be under EO.

So the Cubao lancero and the NM Special Selection are going to go down in price, but still be blended by Pepin? I'm in favor of this. :thumbs:

Won't happen. What Rocky releases will be released under Rocky's name. What Erik and Eddie decide to release will be under EO.

I don't see anything negative about this merger, if it's going to lower prices like Israel says it is going to be a good thing overall.