• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Estate Pipes

Treamayne

On the run...
To you experienced folks.... how does one prep an estate pipe for use. I have two estate pipes I inherited from my grandfather. My father never used them so they were last smoked around '74-75 timeframe. Would they still be ready to go, or should the be cleaned out, seansoned etc?

-K-

I'll tell you what I do. . . .

First, I take the stem off the pipe and drop it into a glass of whiskey or rum or gin (Some distilled spirit). I may let the stem sit in the pipe overnight. When I remove it, I let it airdry and replace it on the pipe.

Then, I will take several pipe cleaners and drop them in a fresh glass that has about an inch or two of whiskey, rum, or some other distilled spirit.

Then, I take the pipe soaked pipe cleaner and run it from the bit to the bowl. This usually causes the pipe cleaner to come out discolored. I will do this several times, and then use dry pipe cleaners until they come out clean.

At that point, I enjoy my newly cleaned pipe.

Now this does not account for the bowl of the pipe. If there is excessive carbon buildup, then I will scrape it. Otherwise, I don't worry to much with the bowl.

That is just me. . .others may have other suggestions.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

Thanks for the info....

Now this does not account for the bowl of the pipe. If there is excessive carbon buildup, then I will scrape it. Otherwise, I don't worry to much with the bowl.

How do I know if htere is excessive buildup? (Said I was new....)

Well. . . what does the inside of the bowl look like?

Can you send me a picture? Maybe that will help.

Hard to tell you if I can't see it.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

Well said GB. I'll admit, I'v often used good ol fashioned rubbing alcohol, and dipped my pipe cleaners in rubbing alcohol as well.

For the bowl, I usually don't worry with it either unless it's really, really caked. I've not come across too many estate pipes that have been really. Maybe one or two. In those cases, just a good scraping will do.

Treamayne said:
To you experienced folks.... how does one prep an estate pipe for use. I have two estate pipes I inherited from my grandfather. My father never used them so they were last smoked around '74-75 timeframe. Would they still be ready to go, or should the be cleaned out, seansoned etc?

-K-
[snapback]155011[/snapback]​

Been looking at the eBay listings......who knew so many people were selling pipes!?!

BUT, many of the brands are unfamiliar to me. Would someone care to provide a short list of brands that would be considered mid-to sort of high-end pipes? So I, too, can look for bargains? :)

I know that the quality of the grain is an indication of a good pipe (isn't it?). Anything else to look for?

Oh yeah, something else. I saw a really attractive pipe, a known brand, but the bit stem was entirely bitten though. Can these be replaced and by who? I had a stem replaced once years ago, and the bit was so much narrower than the original that the pipe was essentially spoiled for me. :(

And I am now bidding on no less than FIVE pipes, thanks to you guys!!!! :angry2: :sign:

Pics of my 2 estate pipes are on Cigar pictures Here

The close ups of the bowl were about as good as I could get.

I found that one of them is a Dr. Grabow Omega (whatever that means) and the other I have no clue, except that they both seem to be drug store types. The only other thing I know is that they are over 30yrs old, but could be much older.

-K-

psyktek said:
Oh yeah, something else. I saw a really attractive pipe, a known brand, but the bit stem was entirely bitten though. Can these be replaced and by who? I had a stem replaced once years ago, and the bit was so much narrower than the original that the pipe was essentially spoiled for me. :(
[snapback]155268[/snapback]​

Just check with your local shop to see if they have someone that can replace the stem. Our local shop sends them out for replacement stems. Cost should range between $8 - 15 depending on the type of stem you want.

No local shops that I've found here in Japan. The sole cigar shop I know of has a couple Japanese pipes, but that's it.

-K-

Sorry about that. I had forgotten you were overseas.

Shadow said:
Sorry about that. I had forgotten you were overseas.
[snapback]160379[/snapback]​

So, for once..... the Shadow didn't know?

<grin>

'S'all good. Maybe I can get a good BOTL to hook me up and trade ne for a new stem or something. Maybe I should just leave these two alone and get a real pipe if I'm going to try this hobby out.

Well, it's official, I am now an eBay addict! Got a very nice Ehrlich for 22 bucks with shipping, a Dunhill second and a Peterson System bent for a little more money.

Ooops, gotta go check 2 others closing today..................................................... :0

Hi all I’m new to the BB. I have been getting into cigar smoking as of recent but my first love is the pipe. I have used rum to clean many pipes. It helps that I love rum too. But the advice up top is dead on. Also eBay is a great place to pick up some good deals. I got some great Savinelli’s off e bay and a few Dunhill’s not to mention a great CAO Meer. Just make sure you get pics of markings before you buy. :sign:

Man DO NOT let me get into pipes. I have a bunch that were from an estate as well. But know nadda about them.maybe i'll take some pictures and sell them to you guys for a very good price or trade for a couple of sticks.

Mephiston said:
Man DO NOT let me get into pipes. I have a bunch that were from an estate as well. But know nadda about them.maybe i'll take some pictures and sell them to you guys for a very good price or trade for a couple of sticks.
[snapback]174921[/snapback]​

Sounds good, let me know when you do. I would like to get into pipes just don't know where to start.

I don't know? But I think I would kind of feel wierd about sucking on somebody elses used pipe. I know that spit can travel down to the bowl. I've seen plenty of cool estate pipes on ebay put just can't bring myself to buy one.

atuck said:
I don't know? But I think I would kind of feel wierd about sucking on somebody elses used pipe. I know that spit can travel down to the bowl. I've seen plenty of cool estate pipes on ebay put just can't bring myself to buy one.
[snapback]231313[/snapback]​

Do you feel the same when going into a restaraunt? All their dishes and silverware have been used before you arrived.

With proper cleaning and maintenance, used pipes are a great value and will pose no health issues. I do agree though, that some of the estate pipes on Ebay look like they have been stored in the south end of a northbound mule. Leave those buggers alone and look for clean examples from established sellers. You will pay a little more, but still get a 30-60% savings over new pipes.

I would think that a fair guess is 1/3 of my collection is estate pipes. I use Golden Grain to clean the out my pipes. You should also get a button reamer to ream the bowl with. Carbon can get out of hand if your not careful. You only need a thin coating on the inside wall. Be careful when using any cleaning fluid around the outside bowl since it will take the finish off the pipe if not careful. Tooth paste will clean the stem itself with some elbow grease.

tedski said:
atuck said:
I don't know?  But I think I would kind of feel wierd about sucking on somebody elses used pipe.  I know that spit can travel down to the bowl.  I've seen plenty of cool estate pipes on ebay put just can't bring myself to buy one.
[snapback]231313[/snapback]​

Do you feel the same when going into a restaraunt? All their dishes and silverware have been used before you arrived.

With proper cleaning and maintenance, used pipes are a great value and will pose no health issues.
[snapback]231368[/snapback]​

I figure maybe you're right. There seems to be alot of people out there who swear by them. So I went ahead and bought one. This one is a Preben Holm Pipe. It is the perfect style for me so I could not resist.
7e_1_sbl.jpg

Good job Atuck! Looks like a very nice pipe.

So what was your winning bid?