• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Etiquette question

theroberthogan

What is this fresh hell?
I received cigars in a pass, and now they have obvious beetle damage. The damaged cigars have been disposed of, and the all necessary precautions have been performed.

Now my dilemma, how do I handle the situation with the person who sent me these cigars? Of course, I have no intention of calling him out, but should I contract him and let me know that these cigars were ruined? Do I just forget about it and not do trades with this guy anymore? What would you do?

That sucks dude. I obviously don't have the answer to your question, but at least no further damage was caused.

Dennis

Were the cigars damaged when you received them? Or did the beetles hatch after you received them? Either way you should let the guy know. It is possible he has no idea there was a problem and in that case his collection could be in trouble. If someone had evidence I might have a beetle issue I'd sure hope they would tell me, even if they thought I was trying to slight them. Did you take pictures?

Let them know! Everything else takes a second seat to preventing additional outbreaks within their humidor and those of the other people that might have had exposure to the same cigars.

By all means, you HAVE to contact him to tell him about the problem. I doubt there is anyone here that would intentionally pass off cigars with beetle problems. For all you know, he has no idea that he had a problem and he needs to fix it before his entire stock is damaged.

Brian

Yes by all means tell them. Though the beetles hatched afterward...they need to know so that they are aware of a possible quarantine. No need to call them out...it's impossible to know that a cigar has beetles before they actually hatch, so it's not his fault per se.

Is it a cigar that does not commonly have beetle issues? Greycliffs are very common for beetles...but the problem could go deeper like the Joe deals where a lot of people got the Greycliff 1666's that eventually hatched beetles, and it affected a large amount of CP members. Depending on where the cigar was acquired by this individual, the problem could affect a large population of out members, as it has before. Lets definitely get to the bottom of this.

On second thought, you should not only let the person, but also the forum, know of the beetles in case anyone else was passed, traded or sold the same cigar. As previously mentioned, it's impossible to know about beetles before they hatch, so it's not like you're calling someone out for purposely passing a bad stick.

On second thought, you should not only let the person, but also the forum, know of the beetles in case anyone else was passed, traded or sold the same cigar. As previously mentioned, it's impossible to know about beetles before they hatch, so it's not like you're calling someone out for purposely passing a bad stick.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Unless it was a box pass, then there is no need for a public outing of this person. I'm sure just by letting them know, they will in turn tell anyone they may have traded or sold to know what is going on. Enough embarassment will happen with this alone, no need to be humiliated in front of the whole board. I realize this is all in good intentions, but put yourself in this persons shoes....would you want everyone reading that you've been sending out cigars with larvae in them when you had no idea?

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Unless it was a box pass, then there is no need for a public outing of this person. I'm sure just by letting them know, they will in turn tell anyone they may have traded or sold to know what is going on. Enough embarassment will happen with this alone, no need to be humiliated in front of the whole board. I realize this is all in good intentions, but put yourself in this persons shoes....would you want everyone reading that you've been sending out cigars with larvae in them when you had no idea?
That's the point. If I had no idea I was doing it, I wouldn't be embarrased at all, and I wouldn't consider it an outing. Afterall, beetle larvae are a inherent part of this hobby. But just to be safe, I, and I assume anyone else I have dealt with, would want to know. Just my opinion.

That's the point. If I had no idea I was doing it, I wouldn't be embarrased at all, and I wouldn't consider it an outing. Afterall, beetle larvae are a inherent part of this hobby. But just to be safe, I, and I assume anyone else I have dealt with, would want to know. Just my opinion.
Absolutely agree with you Wes on your principle. What I disagree with is letting the entire board know. I would be absolutely mortified if this were me it was happening to. As much of a rep as I've tried to build, how many guys do you think would be willing to trade with me or join one of my passes. It would be like I've been blackballed without the formalities because no one would want to risk trading with me again. Let the guy know the problem, let him know he HAS to come clean with the people he's transacted with, then go from there.

Absolutely agree with you Wes on your principle. What I disagree with is letting the entire board know. I would be absolutely mortified if this were me it was happening to. As much of a rep as I've tried to build, how many guys do you think would be willing to trade with me or join one of my passes. It would be like I've been blackballed without the formalities because no one would want to risk trading with me again. Let the guy know the problem, let him know he HAS to come clean with the people he's transacted with, then go from there.
I also see your point, Brian. However, although ideally we would expect the person to come clean with all those he has dealt with, there really is no guarantee that it will happen, and there is no way to police whether he does or not. By identifying the individual we can assure that this problem is nipped in the bud. Additionally, because larvae are present in all tobacco (at least from my understanding) and, thus, all cigars traded, sold or passed here are at risk of developing beetles, I, for one, would not hesitate to trade with the identified person in the future since these things just happen.

Another possible solution would be to identify the suspect cigar since it already has shown a penchant for hatching beetles. This way, anyone who has recently purchased, traded or in any other way come into possession of the particular cigar from someone on this board is at least on notice and then can subsequently contact the person he received it from to see if he was the source of the beetle infested cigar. Even so, there would be no quarantee in this situation that the person would be straightforward about whether he was the one who passed the cigar in question.

The cigars were received in a pass.

As far as being 'blackballed'...

Does anyone want to trade with me?

I outed myself when I had a beetle.

I have PM'd the member who sent me the sticks to let him know of the problem.

Thankfully, when I get new cigars I put them in a spare humidor for a couple months before moving them to my general population humi. I was about to transfer the damaged sticks when I noticed the destruction. Luckily there weren't many other cigars in the quarantine humi and the outbreak was safely contained.

As I told the member who sent me these sticks, I inspected them when I received them (like I do with all my cigars) and did not note any signs of beetles then. I'm sure this member did not intend to send me beetles, so I won't out him publicly. I'm sure he will be in contact with other members who may have received suspicious sticks from him, and I'll leave it at that.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Thankfully, when I get new cigars I put them in a spare humidor for a couple months before moving them to my general population humi. I was about to transfer the damaged sticks when I noticed the destruction. Luckily there weren't many other cigars in the quarantine humi and the outbreak was safely contained.

As I told the member who sent me these sticks, I inspected them when I received them (like I do with all my cigars) and did not note any signs of beetles then. I'm sure this member did not intend to send me beetles, so I won't out him publicly. I'm sure he will be in contact with other members who may have received suspicious sticks from him, and I'll leave it at that.

No one sends beetles on purpose! Like someone else commented it is part of the hobby. You did the right thing to inform him and he needs to contact any other person he may have sent cigars to.

No one sends beetles on purpose! Like someone else commented it is part of the hobby. You did the right thing to inform him and he needs to contact any other person he may have sent cigars to.

That has a weird STD reference.

:sign: