• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Etiquette question

I received cigars in a pass, and now they have obvious beetle damage. The damaged cigars have been disposed of, and the all necessary precautions have been performed.

Now my dilemma, how do I handle the situation with the person who sent me these cigars? Of course, I have no intention of calling him out, but should I contract him and let me know that these cigars were ruined? Do I just forget about it and not do trades with this guy anymore? What would you do?

Contracting him might be a bit harsh don't ya think? But all seriousness aside you did right by letting him know so he could check his stuff.

Another possible solution would be to identify the suspect cigar since it already has shown a penchant for hatching beetles. This way, anyone who has recently purchased, traded or in any other way come into possession of the particular cigar from someone on this board is at least on notice and then can subsequently contact the person he received it from to see if he was the source of the beetle infested cigar. Even so, there would be no quarantee in this situation that the person would be straightforward about whether he was the one who passed the cigar in question.

This.

Instead of revealing the member, reveal the cigar(s); this way, any CP member with said cigar will be on the alert, and the member that sent you the cigar will not be outed.

First, lets get the facts correct. The first post reference you received this infected cigar in a box pass. Other posts you've made says that this person "sent" you these cigars. Which is it? If the cigar was removed from a box pass then every cigar in the pass was exposed and everyone should be alerted to inspect and keep a close eye on any cigars taken from the pass.

Beetle eggs are present in lots of cigars and people never know because they remain dormant and are smoked. It is part of the business and if you smoke cigars you have smoked beetle eggs. Its only when the eggs are subjected to ideal conditions that they emerge. How long after receiving the cigar did the outbreak occur?

I've had two outbreaks in which one would make grown men cry. If anyone wants to scratch me off their trading list feel free. This isn't about "outing" someone. Its about controlling a possible outbreak...... everyone should be informed of which box pass it was and notice sent to the participants.

First, lets get the facts correct. The first post reference you received this infected cigar in a box pass. Other posts you've made says that this person "sent" you these cigars. Which is it? If the cigar was removed from a box pass then every cigar in the pass was exposed and everyone should be alerted to inspect and keep a close eye on any cigars taken from the pass.

Beetle eggs are present in lots of cigars and people never know because they remain dormant and are smoked. It is part of the business and if you smoke cigars you have smoked beetle eggs. Its only when the eggs are subjected to ideal conditions that they emerge. How long after receiving the cigar did the outbreak occur?

I've had two outbreaks in which one would make grown men cry. If anyone wants to scratch me off their trading list feel free. This isn't about "outing" someone. Its about controlling a possible outbreak...... everyone should be informed of which box pass it was and notice sent to the participants.

Actually my first post didn't reference a box pass. I just said I received them in a pass. If it had been a box pass, yes I would have notified everyone in the pass.

I noticed the outbreak about two months after the cigars were received.

I've traded a couple PMs with the member and he is monitoring his cigars to make sure this was an isolated incident. I am confident that there is no widespread outbreak to be worried about.

Actually my first post didn't reference a box pass. I just said I received them in a pass.
??? Huh?

Anyway, if you had them stored for several months before noticing damage its a good chance the eggs hatched on your watch. Eggs hatch when conditions are ripe in approx 7 days or so and then go on about a 2 month feeding orgy before the grub pupates. Long story short, its the condition the cigars are stored in more so than the cigars having beetle eggs. The eggs will not hatch without temps above 65-70F.

You can't see beetle eggs with the naked eye and most people are shocked to learn they are in many cigars sitting dormant. We smoke them all the time and are totally unaware. If you did a trade or purchase with this person it is proper to let them know that the cigars you received from them developed beetles and they should inspect their cigars and humidors.

What should have been clarified was that these cigars were obtained in a P.I.F. .....not a pass.

I received cigars in a pass, and now they have obvious beetle damage. The damaged cigars have been disposed of, and the all necessary precautions have been performed.

Now my dilemma, how do I handle the situation with the person who sent me these cigars? Of course, I have no intention of calling him out, but should I contract him and let me know that these cigars were ruined? Do I just forget about it and not do trades with this guy anymore? What would you do?
Taking a hit out on somebody over beetle infestation MAY be a tad extreme. Might be a little more humane to say...take a finger with their cigar cutter.