• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ever smoke a damaged ISOM?

xraydoc1

I had a Cohiba Robusto that was damaged in shipping - the wrapper and binder were completely torn away and missing from about 1/3 of the length of the cigar at the foot.

I couldn't bring myself to throw it away, but I wasn't sure it would be worth trying, so I just left it in the humidor for a while. A few days ago, I was looking for something to smoke, and the CoRo caught my eye. I decided to light it up and see what happened.

You know what - it was good! The burn was a little unevern, and the draw was too easy, until it got up to the point where the binder/wrapper were intact. Then the burn evened up and the draw got a little firmer, but the tast was good throughout, and there was surprisingly little difference in taste when the wrapper and binder were added to the burn.

If that was a purchase, I would have spoken with the vendor to get a replacement.....

It happens though.

Oh yeah - it didn't cost me anything. Despite that, I didn't want to toss it. :D

I've smoked a few with a little damage to the foot with no problems.

Glad you were able to make something good out if it ;) Ya had nuttin' to lose, right? :D

I've smoked some really "busted up" cigars... mostly wrapper issues... and really had only one that turned out to be unsmokable. God bless duct tape.

NA

I've repaired a few that were in pretty severe condition. Liquid pectin works great. I'm not gonna hassle a vendor for one or two damaged cigars.

Certo liquid pectin from your neighborhood grocery store will reglue and smoke very well. If the wrapper is still around no need to smoke wrapperless smokes.

Had a similar problems with a batch of the trini 98s everyone is currently reviewing. Don't know if it was the age or travel or comination of both, but only minor wrapper problems at the foot. They still smoked great!

I'm with lucas about not bugging a vendor over a few sticks :sign:

Considering I live in winterwonderland, the wild temperature changes between 10F and room temp does things to thin wrappers. Even if one sits the unopened package to slowly get up to room temperature, a few sticks will crack at the foot.

During the boom years, they made a product called "Cigar Bandage." It was basically vegetable gum sold in small, Carmex-like containers. It was wonderful for repairing damaged cigars and did not leave any taste whatsoever. Does anyone know if that product is still made? It was good stuff.

No idea, but I heard maybe gelatin works? Read it off a previous post a month back or so. Anybody else know?

Ree

smoking a vsg that burst right now... local cigar shop is run by clowns. CLOWNS I SAY!