• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Everyday Smokes (cheap but good)

symyn

I have been buying a lot of ISOMs over the last couple months. Mainly expensive ones that everyone should try at least once type of buys, but I am looking for something, a little less expensive. Currently I rotate between Padron x000 series and AF 858s as an everyday inexepensive smoke. A couple of smokes I found are that are "cheaper" Jose Piedra, Quintero, and Fonseca. Let me know what to buy :)

I really enjoyed the Quintero Brevas. And for $3-4 a stick, they are certainly worth it. They are medium-full bodied and certainly not the most well rounded cigar, but they do have the earthy cuban tobacco taste. I first tried one out of a pass and immediately scraped the cash together for a box. So far I have had no plugged or unsmokable sticks out of the box. I believe they are machine bunched and hand finished, but they draw great and burn well.

Just my .02...and hey, if you don't like 'em just send them my way! ;)

Nate

Edited because I think much faster than I type.

Sweet I have been sceptical to try the Quinterno's because of their cheap price, I think I will have to order a box, Thanks.... :) :)

The JR ultimates, given sufficinet humi time, can be a fine everyday smoke. I keep them around for golf gars and yard gars. I have a cab of the oscuro belicoso and a Robusto sized EMS. Note, these are the ultimates, not the alternatives, which , IMHO, are quite bad.

Hey symyn.

I always keep a bundle of Roly Rothschilds around for when I'm in the yard or working in the garage. They're Puros Indios seconds and I get 'em at a B&M in Detroit for $20 for a bundle of 20, but they're $3-4 cheaper on-line.

They ain't real pretty, but they smoke kinda nice.

I am actually looking stictly for isom cigars. I guess I didn't specify that :)

Fonsecas are amazing for the price. I smoke more Cosacos than anything. With a few years on them, they are one of my favorite PCs - regardless of price.

Yes, Quintero is the most surprizingly good machine-made out there!

Only one of the Fonsecas is machine-made (the Delicias), the rest totally hand-made, but for some reason all cheaper than dirt. They're a great morning or midday smoke, being mild but very flavorful.

Of the Piedras, I like the Cremas the best.

Other good cheapies I'd recommend would be Rafael Gonzalez Panetelas Extras, RyJ Coronitas en Cedro, and if you check out any vendors that sell vintage and aged smokes, you can usually get old machine-made cigars with a lot of age on them that smoke very well. From one vendor, I've had H. Upmann Petit Upmanns, RA Bits of Havana, and Partagas Perfectos that all smoked VERY well. :)

I like both the Quin Brevas and the JLPs.
Agreed, though I seem to like the JLP's better. I have the Brevas sized smokes, and like them a lot.

Both the QB's and the JLP's greatly benefit from some aging. With a year or so on them, they are quite good.

Cheers - B.B.S.

I keep quite a few of the JLP Brevas in my humi. They are a great everyday smoke. I picked mine up in a duty free shop at the Kuwait Airport on my way out of country. The price was hard to beat 6.5KD (~$22.00) for a bundle of 25. Otherwise, they are about $2 each. They have a definate ISOM flavor. They are machine made and aren't the best looking stick, but for an everyday smoke, they are great. It is the luck of the draw when picking them up on wrapper color. I was lucky enough to get some dark ones last time. I keep them in my desk humi (68%RH) and many of them have shown a good sheen of oil. I find the flavor like toasted cedar. I gave on to a friend and he commented on the creaminess. I guess to each his own.

BTW, I also have a couple of bundles of the Roly Rothschilds. But definately prefer the JLP. As long as I can make a trip through Kuwait every once in a while, my everyday smoke will be the JLP.

I just bought a box of the Quintero Brevas this afternoon, if I don't like them get ready for a for sale thread in the Buy/Sell forum ;) (just kidding Nate I'll hook you up :) )

I like the Party Short as well as the Fonseca KDT for a fairly inexpensive cigar.

For NC it is Padron and the LCG Wavell and Hermoso.

Only one of the Fonsecas is machine-made (the Delicias), the rest totally hand-made, but for some reason all cheaper than dirt. They're a great morning or midday smoke, being mild but very flavorful.

I don't believe that is true (unless you pick up a box prior to 2000). Based on what I understand and have read, the machine-made model has been discontinued since 2000 and they are now handmade.

I like Quintero Brevas, Rafael Gonzalez Panetelas and JL Piedras. Party shorts are very good, but not in the real "cheap" line imo.