• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ex-NFL player Tillman killed in Afghanistan

moki

el Presidente
Why is it that the best, bravest, and most courageous are the ones who are killed in the line of battle? I suppose the answer is that they have the principles and courage to be there in the first place. Tillman exemplified both.

Ex-NFL player Tillman killed in Afghanistan

Former Cardinal gave up
big salary to join Army Rangers

Pat Tillman turned down a $3.6 million salary offer from the Arizona Cardinals in 2002 to join the Army in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Pat Tillman, who gave up a lucrative NFL contract with the Arizona Cardinals to join the Army Rangers, has been killed in Afghanistan, NBC News is reporting.

In the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, Tillman decided to turn down a three-year, $3.6 million contract with the Cardinals to enlist in the Army.

Tillman, who went through Special Forces training to become a Ranger, was first deployed to Iraq in March 2003 with the 75th Regiment Ranger Battalion.

Tillman joined the Army with his younger brother Kevin in May 2002, but Pat Tillman denied requests for media coverage of his enlistment, basic training and ultimate deployments. According to Army officials at the time, Tillman wanted no special treatment, wanted no special attention, but wanted to be considered just one of the soldiers doing his duty for his country.

Wow, that a little f'd up. This guy had a decent NFL career in front of him but instead chose to serve his country. My prayers and thought go out to his family.

Thanks Pat, there will definitely be a smoke in your honor.

A very class act this guy was. Turned down the money and glamor to serve his country. Not too many of those guys in the world.

My prayers are with his family.

M. Gipson

WOW...now that's one sad story.
Only a handful of guys like this one in the world, my respects to his family.

A true Patriot in every sense of the word.

surferonthecrystalcoast said:
This country needs more people like him!!!!!
Indeed it does. I'm proud to say that another like him, and a friend of mine, is over in Afghanistan as well.

His Courage and his Patriotism exemplifies why this country stands free today.

Pat Tillman certainly goes down in History as a Great Patriot, tho I suspect that is little compfort to his Family, and my prayers are with them

He stuck by his country and his own beliefs when he turned down the NFL. Soon as I can he will get a glass raised from me.
Deepest respect to his family and all others who have lost someone too.

A tragedy indeed, but no more of a tragedy than any other soldier who dies, or has died, fighting for our country. The are all worthy of praise.

I am shocked and saddened to hear this horrible news.

God Bless You Pat Tillman. Your example and sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Matt R said:
A tragedy indeed, but no more of a tragedy than any other soldier who dies, or has died, fighting for our country. The are all worthy of praise.
Agreed. I just think this one makes people think about it more because some people knew of him. There's a face on this name. But you're absolutely right, a tragedy just like all the others before (and after) him. They are all heros fighting for our freedoms.

Matt R said:
Indeed, this is 100% true.

What is remarkable about this story, though, is that he didn't join the armed forces because he had to; he clearly gave up a LOT in order to enlist.

Terrible that Pat Tillman had to die in Afghanistan, but he chose to be there for that others may get a glimpse of freedom and to defend our freedoms. The whole story is such a welcome releif from all the usual unpatriotic, whining, gloom and doom the media usually prefers to report about. Nice to see some people still believe in freedom and liberty. Blessing and prayers go out to the Tillman family and ALL others that have lost loved ones in the fight against terrorism. May God bless those still serving to protect our freedom and way of life all around the world and at home!

I will smoke one of my finest and raise a toast for him and for all the fallen hero's of this war and for the men and women that still serve today! God Bless them all.

I think you all are a Great bunch here at CP! :thumbs:
P.S. My son serves in the US Navy. I ship/bomb some of my takes/cigars to him so he can do the same. (toast)

LilCigarDude.gif
~Monte