• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Expedition To Little Havana: El Credito & Padron's

MJL

I get together with a group of old friends for lunch from time to time. We make “expeditions” to differing locations in and around South Florida to take lunch, pass the time and generally enjoy each others company. We all share a love of good food, good cigars and collecting/shooting old firearms. Sometimes we head out to do some shooting and enjoy a cigar afterwards. Some days we head out to a nice or out of the way restaurant to eat a meal we would not ordinarily enjoy. As the “gringo” of the group I am usually the one pushing to take our meals in the Little Havana section of Miami.

I have cherished memories of Little Havana that go back to the late 60s. My Father owned a pharmacy in the area and I was often placed at the lunch counter to keep me out of trouble. The old Cubana ladies that worked the counter would give me churros, café con leche, tostado, flan, pudin de arroz, media noche, etc for lunch or snacks. In many ways the taste of Cuba is enshrined in my memory as very early taste memories of my childhood.

The group of friends all had Monday off work so we made a date to get together. It was my suggestion to head down to Little Havana to pick up some Padron 5000 Maduros and to El Credito to pick up some La Gloria Cubana’s. I decided to take a long my camera this time to snap some shots. Many of you have enjoyed the products of these two fine firms but most have not seen where these products come from. Here are a few photos:

The photo below was taken by one of the Padron's of the group of friends. This is at Padron's and was taken at their reception area.

6ba17be2.jpg

Another photo taken at Padrons. The Padrons are almost always the ones to come out and help you when you visit. They are very nice and willing to discuss their product.

d64e61b5.jpg

This photo was taken at El Credito. This very kind woman is showing me how to sort and stem maduro tobacco. This is a maduro wrapper leaf. This very nice woman explained how the leaf is de-stemmed, split in two and that each half becomes the wrapper for one cigar.

fe4b8b24.jpg

This photo, also taken at El Credito shows natural leaf wrapper tobacco being de-stemmed. This women, Esther, had some very sage comments about life and living as we took these photos. Very nice and interesting people.

33de2fbd.jpg

This is a completed bundle of maduro wrapper tobacco. It is ready to be sent next door where it will be scrapped smooth and then is ready to be wrapped around a another Miami made La Gloria Cubana cigar. There is roughly enough wrapper in this bundle to make a box of large La Gloria Cubana's

acfffec4.jpg

This is next door. These women are making the actual cigars. Here they take the filler and binder together in a bundle. The wrapper is laid out like two Banana peels in roughly a V shape. The filler/binder bundle is then wrapper in the wrapper and then blocked.

c9d264c3.jpg

This man was working on Torpedo size cigars. Here is is cleaning up the ends and making the cap for the torpedo. This is MUCH harder and skilled work than most of us would expect. The next time you cut the tip off a La Gloria Cubana torpedo think of this man.

RollingCigars0001.jpg

Next door at El Credito's retail outlet. So much to choose from and so much to see here. I felt like saying "...but I wan't an Oompah Loompah NOW..."

87367e31.jpg

Ok, so we did not get these robust figures by resisting our desires. Here we are taking some of the product home with us!

669a847b.jpg

The day ended with a Cuban meal at La Rosa Restaurant in Little Havana. I highly recommend this little out of the way eatery for our out of town guests. The food and service are excellent and you will get a nice taste of real Cuban food. I hade the fried pork chunks, yellow rice with black beans and tostone's for lunch. A cafe' Cubano followed. Very nice day with great friends. I hope you enjoy our photos as much as we enjoyed the day.

Next door at El Credito's retail outlet. So much to choose from and so much to see here. I felt like saying "...but I wan't an Oompah Loompah NOW..."

Ok, so we did not get these robust figures by resisting our desires. Here we are taking some of the product home with us!

[

The highlights of your story I summarized above! Too f#$%ing funny!
Sounds like a wonderful time!
Hopefully I get my ass down to Florida sometime in the future.
-Rob

Really nice photo's - looks like everyone had a day off to remember -

Great story and photos. It's good to see the camaderie that exists with your friends and it comes through very effectively in your post.

Thanks for all the kind comments. Yes, we have been friends and coworkers since the early 90s. Sadly we are now working at differing work locations in the city so our ability to get together for days like this are limited. We try very hard, during the cool/dry season to get together for some Friday afternoon shooting but our schedules, family commitments, etc often prevent this.

I am just now trying to teach myself digital photography. It occurred to me the other day that there are SO many great photographic opportunities in Little Havana that I ought to pack my Nikon for some quick snaps. These are just snap shots. I have thought about contacting the folks at El Credito to see if they would allow me to take some more extensive and artistic photographs of their place. There is a large warehouse in Little Havana that has the EPC, El Credito, La Gloria Cubana sign on it. I guess that is their main Miami rolling and storage operations and the little rooms at the retail outlet, shown here, are more for the tourist trade.

Additionally, I have long thought about putting together a "Cigar Lovers" guide to Little Havana or Miami. I have seen a few of these on line but they are woefully out of date. Little Havana is located in a section of Miami that is roughly between Miami International Airport and The Port of Miami. We have a lot of visitors coming through this area who have an interest in cigars but are either intimidated by the area or are unaware of what is right there off the highway. Little Havana is not the most accessible area for those whose Spanish skills are lacking. There are some fantastic restaurants and cigar places that you will not see mentioned in guide books but that the locals cherish. For example just west of El Credito, on the end of the block is El Rey de La Fritas. The place is a dive but serves the best Fritas (Cubano style hamburgers) in Miami. It is a MUST visit if in the area. Most folks who were not familiar with the place would drive right past it. Maybe I will get off my butt and do this in the summer when I have more time.

... Additionally, I have long thought about putting together a "Cigar Lovers" guide to Little Havana or Miami. I have seen a few of these on line but they are woefully out of date. ...

That would be a very cool idea. One day I would like to get down there and visit Little Havana. Your book would come in very handy. :)

Nice pics! Did you go next door to El Rey De Los Habanos, makers of Tatuaje?

No, it began to rain, as you may be able to see in the last photo, and we had other affairs to attend to. I would like to step in at El Rey and take some photos, as well as sample the product. I am pretty busy until late May when I anticipate being back in that neighborhood. If anyone here can arange a little "walk through" at El Rey I would deeply appreciate it and would be pleased to post my experiences, photo and word wise here.

Thanks for posting these pics and shareing your experiances in Little Havana.
I'd love to go to Miami's Little havana and visit Tatuaje and Padilla.
Maybe when the wife and I book next years trip to Disney World we will head to miami for 5 days.

Thank you,I enjoyed this thread.