• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fake Cigars! Need Help!

MoeCizlak said:

Stick around and read, read, read.  These pages on CP, and most cigar forums that have been around for a while, are replete with enough stories just like the bolded part of your post that when you read enough of them you're going to come back and realize how silly that statement seems. Then you can move onto the stories of guys buying cigars while physically at the factory and still getting fakes

..............in glass top boxes :whistling:

Turbolag, in my opinion it is far from a status symbol. Would you drink French wine vs. California wine because it is a status symbol? Or would you enjoy both equally for their distinct characteristics and qualities;

Prior to 1960 Cuba had a monopoly on premium cigar tobacco because no one else in the world was growing it. You can probably account most of this due to the embargo. After 1960 when many Cuban people, including some of the country’s most respected tobacco growers and cigar masters left Cuba - the methods then became widespread. Premium tobacco was cultivated in other countries such as the Dominican Republic, Honduras and Nicaragua. Generally as a result- premium cigar tobacco will always be compared to Cuba simply because Cuba was the first place where it was cultivated. Think about tobacco’s flavor - it is derived from the soil and the climate of a particular location before it is harvested. Some Caribbean and Central American countries have soils very similar to Cuba’s, and although not exactly the same, they can produce tobaccos that are equally rich in flavor, strength and depth. But to be clear, because the soil imparts the flavor, nothing tastes like a CC other than a Cuban cigar, just as nothing tastes like an NC except a Nicaraguan cigar. Same applies for DCs and HCs obviously...
Back to the wine metaphor- A good comparison between Cuban and non-Cuban cigars is to liken them to French and California wines. Each is different. But is one better than another? That is a matter of opinion, taste, and perception of value.

I would have to say from personal experience it is hard to valuate and justify the price for CCs. They're so damn good but so damn expensive. So many more times have I come across an impeccable NC for a price that I wouldnt think twice about - very difficult to achieve the same feeling with CCs.

Took no offense to your post by the way, every opinion should be heard constructively on a forum in my opinion- thats why its a forum! A medium where opinions and ideas can be exchanged on a specific topic!

By the way- my CC vs NC info was paraphrased from a master cigar roller, Benji Menendez who is the main subject in The Ultimate Cigar Book.

geezygentle said:
...But to be clear, because the soil imparts the flavor, nothing tastes like a CC other than a Cuban cigar, just as nothing tastes like an NC except a Nicaraguan cigar. Same applies for DCs and HCs obviously...

While you're reading around, look for Dr Moki's Blind Taste Test.

geezygentle said:
Turbolag, in my opinion it is far from a status symbol. Would you drink French wine vs. California wine because it is a status symbol? Or would you enjoy both equally for their distinct characteristics and qualities;

It is a status symbol to some folks, though... forbidden fruit and all that. Personally, the cubans that I've had didn't do anything for me. I'll take a Nic any day.

tomthirtysix said:

...But to be clear, because the soil imparts the flavor, nothing tastes like a CC other than a Cuban cigar, just as nothing tastes like an NC except a Nicaraguan cigar. Same applies for DCs and HCs obviously...

While you're reading around, look for Dr Moki's Blind Taste Test.

That's Evil Dr Moki to you!

----------------

And GG - they are 'so damn expensive' due to taxation policies.

I've a friend in Toronto who takes holiday in Cuba. He and his wife come back with some fine cigars...and at great prices.

Now if he goes over the allotment...then he's paying $$$!

geezygentle said:
Took no offense to your post by the way, every opinion should be heard constructively on a forum in my opinion- thats why its a forum! A medium where opinions and ideas can be exchanged on a specific topic!

Thanks GG ! That really makes a lot of sense. I will definitely look into purchasing a 5 pack in the future to try them. I was looking yesterday, and the prices for 3-5 aren't too bad. 
I totally can relate to your comparison. 

I agree man, a forum is where we come to learn and debate about topics, I don't like to argue, but I do enjoy asking questions that I don't get to ask everyday ! 

Its nice to get some feedback. I really have no one locally I can ask., Haha. 

So its great to be able get feedback. 

geezygentle said:

Prior to 1960 Cuba had a monopoly on premium cigar tobacco because no one else in the world was growing it. You can probably account most of this due to the embargo. After 1960 when many Cuban people, including some of the country’s most respected tobacco growers and cigar masters left Cuba - the methods then became widespread. Premium tobacco was cultivated in other countries such as the Dominican Republic, Honduras and Nicaragua. Generally as a result- premium cigar tobacco will always be compared to Cuba simply because Cuba was the first place where it was cultivated. Think about tobacco’s flavor - it is derived from the soil and the climate of a particular location before it is harvested. Some Caribbean and Central American countries have soils very similar to Cuba’s, and although not exactly the same, they can produce tobaccos that are equally rich in flavor, strength and depth. But to be clear, because the soil imparts the flavor, nothing tastes like a CC other than a Cuban cigar, just as nothing tastes like an NC except a Nicaraguan cigar. Same applies for DCs and HCs obviously...
Back to the wine metaphor- A good comparison between Cuban and non-Cuban cigars is to liken them to French and California wines. Each is different. But is one better than another? That is a matter of opinion, taste, and perception of value.

I would have to say from personal experience it is hard to valuate and justify the price for CCs. They're so damn good but so damn expensive. So many more times have I come across an impeccable NC for a price that I wouldnt think twice about - very difficult to achieve the same feeling with CCs.

By the way- my CC vs NC info was paraphrased from a master cigar roller, Benji Menendez who is the main subject in The Ultimate Cigar Book.

I believe that in general on this board cc/CC means Cuban Cigar and nc/NC means Non-cuban Cigar.  At least that's the way I use them.

LarryH said:

I believe that in general on this board cc/CC means Cuban Cigar and nc/NC means Non-cuban Cigar.  At least that's the way I use them.

I use them the same way, although I was referring to Nicaraguan when I wrote NC - which is why I added DCs and HCs, to represent Dominican and Honduran... Sorry for the confusion

geezygentle said:

I use them the same way, although I was referring to Nicaraguan when I wrote NC - which is why I added DCs and HCs, to represent Dominican and Honduran... Sorry for the confusion

No apology was necessary.  I understood what you meant by NC, DC, and HC but I wanted to clarify it for the rest of the board.  Even though there are definitely taste differences between the last three countries of origin my palate isn't capable of telling the difference and probably never will be.  I can usually tell the difference between cc and nc and I know that statement is going to get me into trouble. ;)

GG did you find out for sure if the cigars are fake?

Did you smoke one ?

I dont think he found the answer just yet.

While I dont want to stir the CC vs NC pot Ill have to say there is a taste profil you only find in CC's. That being said the contrary is also true about NC's. When I first came here I had zero experience with NC's and had only smoked CC's. For the past year Ive been rumaging thru many brand vitolas and I have to say some NC are most impressive and have nothing to be ashamed of. Now that I came back to my first love I can say with confidence that the truth is in he tasete buds of the beholder.
IMO the closest NC flavor profile Ive found to a CC was the Illusione 2.

Juanote said:
Some Tatuajes seem very Cuban to me.

Could be my imagination.

That's because most Tatuajes are made by Don Pepin Garcia, who uses primarily Nicaraguan tobacco.  My own experience has shown that the next closest tobacco experience (flavor, etc) to Cuba comes from Nicaragua.  Not to mention, DPG is meticulous about quality and consistency. 

Wow, very cool to see the admin post on this thread. Thanks for a great forum Rod. It's been just a few days and the education I have received is bountiful.

Having said that I've picked up a few pointers on what and how to post- and will surely keep it mind before posting my next thread.

On that note, everyone's been helpful and great- already in the works for some samplers with a member, already in contact with people in the same province, and already stirring up some controversy!

Thanks all

Send a few to me and I'll give them the "test of fire" for you!  :)

Please do fire one of the cigars up and give us a review.  Even though they are fake does not mean you still can not enjoy them! Unless of course they taste and burn really bad.  Did you tell your friend about what you suspect? What did they say?