• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fake cuban cigars in your friendly mexican resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mementomori

Hello everybody ! I just returned from Mexico , yes the sun was a complete beauty , fabulous food , extremely nice people . All inclusive , typical mexican resort , america's playground . Off course lots of beach vendors with glass top cohiba bullshit but those guys are not today's problem , i want to warn people who are new to cuban's and who travel to resorts outside of USA . Well once cigar lover gets outside US he pretty much thinks " i am in cuban cigar heaven ". Most of them got some info from friends - not to buy fakes from street ,beach vendors-basically your friends warn you and point you to buying the real thing from the hotel bar or designed smoking rooms . Yes ... they are right , that seems to be the safest way to get the real thing ... paying high dollars and enjoy the truth cuban tobacco . I was staying in one of the Apple Vacation appointed monster hotels Iberostar . You probably all know the name of that chain .On my 3rd day i went with my wife to one of the bars and decided to smoke fuente anejo 77 that i brought with me in a travel humidor . Main bar was located in the center of hotel was air conditioned , in order to smoke you had to enter cigar-cigarettes smoking room with comfortable chairs and big glass humidor . I took a look on the large selection of cuban cigars and when i saw cohibas i was speechless for a moment . First look and i knew it . They where fakes . How do i know ? I'm an expert in cuban cigars i am originally from Europe and use to work as cigar seller there . I'm still spending at least 3-4 months every year in Europe and sampling cigars in different countries . Did hotel sell fakes , yes and no. I asked the bartender to open the humidor and after handling few cohiba siglo 2 and 4 i asked him why they sell fakes . He played stupid and ask me how do i know that these are fakes . I told him that i use to work for cigar dealers in Europe ( i have foreign accent while speaking english so i could not be american in hes eyes , why i'm pointing about being american or not , because they know americans in most cases can't differ real thing from fake , in the other hand many european people can't either ). I took the boxes out of the humidor and started to remove all cigars and boom...only 2 3 first layers were filled with fakes , all other in the bottom of the box were the real deal. He said that his customer are mostly americans and they never complain . He asked me how long will i stay in the resort , he wanted eagerly know when will i leave . He promised me to contact his manager about this problem . I said i will contact him ,he ask me not to. Well looks like they run a little scam putting fake glass top quality "cohibas" on the top of the real thing and make off american citizens little money ,which probably is a big deal for them , since 20 dollars a pop it's at least what they make per workday . Next day i arrived to check the humidor again . Same bartender ,was practically running toward me when he saw me , greeting me with big smile . He said " I talked to my manager ".I took a look inside the humi and all fakes where gone , all they left were the real things. In my opinion the manager and the stuff are running this scam together so next time you visit places like this be aware , dig inside the box or don't buy cohibas at all. All other brands ( i went through everything , were legitimate ). This year has been the slowest for them and tips are not there , so some will try to make money on fake cigars. I saw the bartender who was acting very nervous when i told him about fakes. He started talking about how good this job is , how many kids he has and how expansive life is. He knew i made him. I did not go over his head that day , i had no heart to do it .These are poor people and i don't want nobody to loose their job and if some uneducated smokers loose their 20 dollars for fakes , well...too bad but they can live with it . For all people in this forum : BE CAREFUL AND PASS THAT TO YOUR FRIENDS TRAVELING TO RESORTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best regards to everybody , i hope this will help.

Hello everybody! I just returned from Mexico,yes the sun was a complete beauty,fabulous food ,extremely nice people,all inclusive ,typical mexican resort, america's playground.Off course lots of beach vendors with glass top cohiba bullshit but those guys are not today's problem,i want to warn people who are new to cuban's and who travel to resorts outside of USA.Well once cigar lover gets outside US he pretty much thinks "i am in cuban cigar heaven".Most of them got some info from friends- not to buy fakes from street,beach vendors-basically your friends warn you and point you to buying the real thing from the hotel bar or designed smoking rooms.Yes,they are right ,that seems to be the safest way to get the real thing,paying high dollars and enjoy the truth cuban tobacco.I was staying in one of the Apple Vacation appointed monster hotels :Iberostar.You all know the name of that chain.On my 3rd day i went with my wife to one of the bars and decided to smoke fuente anejo 77 i brought with me in a travel humidor.Since the awesome bar in the center of hotel was air conditioned , in order to smoke you had to enter cigar-cigarettes smoking room with comfortable chairs and big glass humidor.I took a look on the large selection of cuban cigars and when i saw cohibas i was speechless for a moment.First look and i knew it.They where fakes.How do i know?I'm an expert in cuban cigars,i am originally from Europe and use to work as cigar seller there.I'm still spending at least 3-4 months every year in Europe and sampling cigars in different countries.Did hotel sell fakes,yes and no.I asked the bartender to open the humidor and after handling few cohiba siglo 2 and 4 i asked him why they sell fakes.He played stupid and ask me how do i know that these are fakes.I told him that i use to work for cigar dealers in Europe(i have foreign accent while speaking english so i could not be american in hes eyes,why i'm pointing about being american or not,because they know americans in most cases can't differ real thing from fake,in the other hand many european people can't either).I took the boxes out of the humidor and started to remove all cigars and boom...only 2,3 first layers were filled with fakes ,all other in the bottom of the box were the real deal.He said that his customer are mostly americans and they never complain.He asked me how long will i stay in the resort,he wanted eagerly know when will i leave.He promised me to contact his manager about this problem.I said i will contact him ,he ask me not to.Well looks like they run a little scam putting fake ,glass top quality "cohibas" on the top of the real thing and make off american citizens little money ,which probably is a big deal for them,since 20 dollars a pop it's at least what they make per workday.Next day i arrived to check the humidor again.Same bartender ,was practically running toward me when he saw me,greeting me with big smile.He said"I talked to my manager".I took a look inside the humi and all fakes where gone,all they left were the real things.In my opinion the manager and the stuff are running this scam together so next time you visit places like this be aware,dig inside the box or don't buy cohibas at all.All other brands(i went through everything, were legitimate).This year has been the slowest for them and tips are not there, so some will try to make money on fake cigars.I saw the bartender who was acting very nervous when i told him about fakes.He started talking about how good this job is,how many kids he has and how expansive life is.He knew i made him.I did not go over his head that day,i had no heart to do it,these are poor people and i don't want nobody to loose their job and if some uneducated smokers loose their 20 dollars for fakes ,well...too bad but they can live with it .For all people in this forum :BE CAREFUL AND PASS THAT TO YOUR FRIENDS TRAVELING TO RESORTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Best regards to everybody , i hope this will help.

What the heck did you type this with?

Well, I never buy from anywhere south of the border because of that fact, there are a ton of fakes out there. Just for shits and giggles, what stood out that told you the cigars were fakes? ring size, labels? Most places will switch the cigar labels, I have a good friend that is from Panama and he used to do this with his father when he was younger.

The name you need to know if you want to get real cuban cigars in Mexico... La Casa Del Habano...

It may not be cheap, but they are real and the one in Cozumel has a really nice lounge.

Wall of never-ending text crits your eyes for 35,000 hit points!

*edit* seriously dude use paragraphs :p

Has to be lack of oxygen to the brain.

I'm curious to know what resort this was.

Pretty sure this is it. Easy to miss in the diarrhea of text:
I was staying in one of the Apple Vacation appointed monster hotels :Iberostar.You all know the name of that chain.

Oh damn. You're absolutely right :laugh: :laugh:
Careful Los. You don't want Jon misconstruing your intentions toward him.

Hello everybody! ...(x 500)

Read your text outloud to yourself and every time you stop to breath, press the Enter button twice. :)
Tsk Tsk

Out loud is two words John. Space bar :blush:

This guy is obviously ESL. A little slack on grammar and punctuation is in order.

Hello everybody! ...(x 500)

Read your text outloud to yourself and every time you stop to breath, press the Enter button twice.
smile.gif

Too funny!

I can just see him NOT breathing while reading all that.

:laugh:

I got three sentences in and then cut my losses. I figured that if you're buying "Cuban" cigars in Mexico, odds are they are fake anyway, so why be surprised?

To all that left asshole type remarks about my typing...i'm sorry i will try to do better . English is not my original language and i do not work in the office for a living , i run very profitable business and got people who type for me . When i do type myself it's basically limited to this forum. I do speak and write in 4 different languages and i think that's enough knowledge but i will be working on my typing.By the way using too much spaces while typing in some countries are consider as typing mistake, so is dot's instead comas.I wonder how many of you that left those comments know more than " gracias " in foreign language. Well errare human es , my apologies for bad typing form .Will do my best and thanks for showing again asshole type smart comments .Obviously looks like some of you just can't live without making somebody else feel miserable , especially somebody who just wanted to help.Best luck to all.

People were just having fun busting your balls, man. Get one of your people to explain it to you.

Grammar can sometimes be overlooked if you show you're actually trying, but your asshole comments show you just don't care.

-John

Well errare human es , my apologies for bad typing form .Will do my best and thanks for showing again asshole type smart comments .Obviously looks like some of you just can't live without making somebody else feel miserable , especially somebody who just wanted to help.Best luck to all.

Like John said, some folks were just having a bit of fun with you. I understand you're upset, but no need to lose your head. Everyone here understands a few folks who may not have English as their original language, but those people make the effort, take the criticism, and move forward. Just take the criticism, and move on. Enough said.

I agree , but you all have to remember that this site is not restricted to americans only , it's international , so act like citizens of the world. You got plenty of members from different countries , so remember that some things that are natural in your country may be consider extremely rude to all other folks , act accordingly , this is not your neighborhood bar . Those few guys acted like 10 year old kids in junior high , instead of being discreet they shouted loud and clear and acted like childish bullies . One of them has american soldier as his picture , this guy should think twice because he represents US Military , even if it's only his brother photo or whoever it is , but by showing this to everybody , every word you put here in cyberspace represents US armed forces . Common courtesy should ring your bell , don't like my typing , that's the way they type in my country , the way you type it's not correct where i'm from. English is the main and only language use in this site but typing forms varies from country to country . Got a problem with that , you more than welcome to send me a message : " hey thanks for mexican resorts warning but you should be watching your typing and use space bar more ". That's the way to do it , not shouting , grow up. Again best regards .

I only represent myself. And you're not even trying. My post was a legitimate suggestion. Read your posts back out loud ;) and insert some paragraphs where you take a breath. For starters, at least. No one likes reading 400 sentences run together in a single paragraph. You obviously have a decent command of the English language, so stop hiding behind being a foreigner!

Shit, we got a Spanish guy on here that barely speaks any english and runs everything through an interpreter website and he's doing better than you are!

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.