• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Famous / notorious ancestry?

Goldie

I did a search, and didn't find anything right off hand, so I apologize if this has already been discussed before. I saw this on another website I frequent, and thought the idea was pretty cool. It's amazing what kind of family history people have. I'll go first...

Had three family members on the Titanic

http://www.titanic1.org/people/frank-goldsmith.asp
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org...goldsmith.html

Great Great Grandfather and Grandmother as well as my Great Grandfather. Great great grandfather and great grandmother survived. Frank, my Great Grandfather went on to write a book about the experience, and is currently out of production. The last time my wife checked, Amazon.com had a copy selling for like $200 or $300.

So what other family history do we have floating around here at CP?

my grandmother and great aunt were cousins of bonnie and clyde.

somehow related to mary todd lincoln

descendant of prussian royalty

my brother and i prepped back to back baja 1000 trophy truck championships

and i'm still nobody, so... meh

descendant of prussian royalty

Hmm..we might be related. Growing up, my grandmother said we were related to the Prussian royal family and specifically Kaiser Wilhelm I in some fashion. I remember her saying something about her grandfather being the product of an encounter between one of the Kaiser's sons and a peasant girl or something to that effect.

When I was young, I heard of a relative who was some sort of Robin Hood type character in Italy. The name "Nicole", that is so prevalent in my family, apparently stems from this "folk hero". I have lightly tried to gain more knowledge on the subject, but unfortunately, those relatives in the states who knew about him, have already made their transition. I do not kow how to spell his name which sounded something like
"Nicole An-di-ri-sone" My Grandfather on my mothers side's family had quite a bit of land near Bari, Italy. I had gotten the impression that it
might have come from this fellow.

My cousin went to Bari on Honeymoon about 40 years ago. My understanding is that he, as a descendant of Nicole, received the red carpet treatment.

My wifey is a direct decendant of Nathan Bedford Forrest and can trace her family back to Jamestown.
My step mom is a direct decendant of Thomas Jonathan Jackson.

Me, I'm just a mutt dutchwestvirginian BUT I was a horse holder for Hanba'al on his way to Iberia in 237 BCE till I was run over by a goat cart and the bastard fed me to his pigs. Coincidentally, I was a goatherd in Mongolia in 1221 ad. It was night, I was hangin' with the goats looking at the stars and moon. There were some Chinese guys camped nearby and they started chattering of a sudden and I noticed the moon was going dark. The bastards sacrificed me on account of an eclipse... and ate two of my goats. Bad luck.Things have been downhill since then. I don't want to talk about it.

NA

My Great Grandfather was a world renowned opera singer, toured once or more with Dame Nellie Melba, who is on the Australian $100 note. My Grandfather has some of his playbills and whatnot, he ended up marrying a U.S. opera instructor(my great grandma) and that's how my family came to this country.

My wifey is a direct decendant of Nathan Bedford Forrest and can trace her family back to Jamestown.

Me, I'm just a mutt dutchwestvirginian BUT I was a horse holder for Hanba'al on his way to Iberia in 237 BCE till I was run over by a goat cart and the bastard fed me to his pigs. Coincidentally, I was a goatherd in Mongolia in 1221 ad. It was night, I was hangin' with the goats looking at the stars and moon. There were some Chinese guys camped nearby and they started chattering of a sudden and I noticed the moon was going dark. The bastards sacrificed me on account of an eclipse... and ate two of my goats. Bad luck.Things have been downhill since then. I don't want to talk about it.

NA
rofl, is that so Neal?

None that I know of. My gramps did serve in WWII, but state-side due to a medical condition (AKA: couldn't see worth a damn :laugh:). He's still with us, and doing well! Def. in my personal heroes list :D

NA

I picture this being the next round:

donkey_cart.jpg

My family has had 2 presidents of Bolivia in its long history... both in the 1800's. Jose and Adolfo Ballivian. I believe the last one, Adolfo, was the uncle or great uncle of my grandmother. Our family tree has roots in the Royal Court of Spain in the 1200's, specifically the Basque region. Our family was among the first to make the crossing to the New World, settling in what was to be Bolivia.

I, however, share almost no connection with the affluent past of my family tree, through the inevitable mixing of families and names. Mostly having dissipated in the mid 20th century, there was a pretty distinct line to the past before that. One can still find the name of Ballivian referenced in many street names and locales in La Paz, but most of the memory of that part of my family's past died with my grandmother. Thanks for reading!

Family lore says we were decendents of Jesse and Frank James. Some of the family history lends possibility to it, but not worth researching. Hell, they were criminals.

Ken

My grandmother on my father's side said she was a distant cousin of Napoleon.

My seven-greats grandfather served in the Connecticutt Militia in the American Revolution, and survived the Fort Griswald massacre---the infamous Benedict Arnold led the Brits against the fort, and they killed everyone there after they took it---by escaping over the rear wall.

His father gave Plum Island, off the tip of Long Island, its name when his merchant ship went down in a storm ahd his body washed ashore there.

We're in the Great Roll of Normandy, 1180 and 1195 CE.

That's all from my direct paternal line. I haven't researched the other branches of my genealogy yet.

~Boar

All very interesting stuff, particularly Boar, cafo,and Neal's history, even though his ancestry was a goat. Makes me think of goat from Adam Sandler's CD's, as well as goat boy off old Saturday Night Live skits.

I'm a shirt tail cousin of Bob Zimmerman (Dylan) and my maternal grandfather co-wrote the bill that protects the BWCA (Boundry Waters Canoe Area) in MN.

I happened to be related to The Red Baron, even though I think sometimes my family is more related to Snoopy!!

Rich Richthofen

According to my grandfather who is no longer with us, I'm related to Robert E. Lee, six-great uncle or something like that.

I'm distantly related to William Wallace.

One of my in laws is the stupidest person in the state of Minnesota. Does that count?