• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Famous / notorious ancestry?

First, the lesser one...my wife is directly related to a Capone-era mobster named Vern Miller. He was a decorated Army vet who learned how to drive and shoot a machine gun, and hence was a valued hit-man when he became associated with gangsters. He was eventually gunned down himself and we have seen some nice photos of his bullet-riddled blood-soaked body.

My relative, a cousin of my grandfather, was Generaloberst Eugen Ritter von Schobert who served as a German officer during both WWI and WWII. He was awarded the Knight's Cross of he Military Order of Max Joseph, which was Bavaria's highest military honor, and which conferred a "patent of nobility" on a recipient who was a commoner. (Unfortunately, it came with no hereditary rights that I can claim). He was commander of the German 11th Army on the Russian front. He died in 1941 when his plane crashed in a Russian minefield. Here he is:

My father was a WWII draftee who attend Infantry OCS at Ft. Benning and fought in the Pacific theater against Imperial Japan. I guess he would have been torn if sent to the European theater to oppose his relatives.
Talk about really, really bad luck... twice.

NA

Yeah I suppose so, but I'm honored to have all three of them on branches of our family tree. They make for interesting stories.

There is a book written about me.

Don't believe me? google "robbie young scott campbell"

I'm a mutt, but mostly Irish. Sometime a while back my great aunt did a family tree and we were somehow related to Mary Queen of Scott, go figure. My father was adopted into a Sicilian family so hence the long a$$ name long lost relatives on that side are a little shaky because nobody in the family sis a tree or anything.

My last name happens to be printed on one of the most widely distributed "cigar" brands in the country!

25995031-177x150-0-0_.jpg

I didn't say they were good ones...

My cousin was (might still be) on Ohio's Most Wanted for unpaid child support. 6 kids, 4 wives if my memory serves me. My great great grandfather founded my hometown and his son owned and ran the first bar. Yay.

National Geographic did a DNA test on my grandpa, and found out that we are direct descendants of Pres. John Adams... it would be cooler if it was worth something... :D

Great topic and Alan, you had me in stitches with your in-law story. :laugh: My wife's 2nd cousin was the Unknown Soldier who was identified recently. I believe his name is Michael Blassi. My mother has traced family history back to the 16th century Ireland and my father's side, also Irish, goes back to 1705 when they showed up in Essex Co. Virginia. I can't find anyone note-worthy, but there is some neat stories I've found.