• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fan for circulation in Coolerdor?

I just swtiched from using the Oust fans in my Aristocrat Miie for an electric fan.

The oust fans run for five minutes then shut down for 15. Unfortunately, mine kept going off synch and would be running at the same time. I changed the batteries and everything, but they always keep changing their pattern.

So recently went to Radio Shack and purchased a small computer fan:

Fan

I then spliced the wired to an old low volt transfer I had in the house. You know the kind from your kid's toy that are used to charged them. (I have extras if anyone decides to do this and wants one)

I then plugged the fan into a digital wall timer, programmed it for five minutes and hour:

Timer

With two small screws I attached it to the back of a shelf in the cabinet so it is hanging down and not taking up any unnessary room.

That and viper beads make for a rock steady unit.

Total cost was about $40. Could have got the fan cheaper from a computer web site but I didn't want to wait.

I will post pic if I can or PM for pics.

Alan

Fans help keep the RH steady. You will find that the RH will vary from point to point in your cooler. Even by placing beads in separate parts of the cooler, you'll still get this. By adding a fan, you can maintain a steady RH very easily. This helps out a lot when adding cigars that are very wet.

I had a large computer fan bought from Radio Shack that looks exactly like the one Swissy has. It moves a shit load of air! It also produces a lot of heat if left on over night. If you are going to go this route, a timer is a must. I personally think brush less is the way to go though.

Here is another trick similar to what Swissy did. Take a tupperware bowl and drill holes through the bottom. Uniform distance apart is best. Use the smallest drill bit you can find. Then line the bottom of the bowl with something breathable. You can try cheese cloth, mesh screen, pantyhose, or even a cut up white t-shirt. Glue the material to the container along the bottom edge. Then cut a hole the size of the fan blades in the top. Measure and mark the mounting holes. Now take an RTV type sealant and but a small bead along the outside edge of the fan. You'll also want to put a screen on the inside lid. Now assemble the fan on the lid with long machine screws.

Let the whole thing sit out to dry. Let it sit for a few days. To check to see it there is any odor lingering, put both into separate gallon ziploc bags. Let it sit overnight and take a whiff in the AM. Once there are no more odors, you are safe to place beads in it, close the seal, and place it in the cooler. You're choice of how to wire it. Wether to pull air through, or to push air in. If you pull air through, make sure to screen the lid, or you run the risk of shooting beads through out you cooler. :whistling:

Emo
That sounds like a great idea. Do you have any pictures of this setup? I think I'll go this route for my cooler. :thumbs: