• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fancy or dull humidor?

cvmfour

Reaction score
So I look on ebay and see a humidor like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6102713123

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6102704333

They both look good and would go with the furniture in my room really great.
On the other hand, There are some cheap ones that can hold a lot but don't look as good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6102710050

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6102708546

The 2nd one doesn't go with my room but the first does. I'm sure they are both great humidors but they just don't have the WOW eye catching look that the first one has.
My gut instinct tells me to go with the cheap group because well, I'm cheap. LOL But then the high priced hummi is calling me. Should I buy the cheap one and put it in a drawer or the expensive one and show it off? I haven't really seen humidors in a light wood finish like my room has. They are all dark woods and wouldn't go well.

I would go with the cheaper one and take the savings to purchase a couple of nice sticks to christen the new humi.

I like the first one best. At this point I say, get a good one, one that fits your decor and has a lock. #1 is the best looking one. It will look real nice with the nameplate affixed.

If you are going to buy a 'real' humidor I'd get one of the fancy ones. If you just want functional or cheap go DIY.

I have one nice glass top humidor that I keep out and one big cooler I keep hidden.

I have that exact same 120 count humi. Looks good and keeps the humidity great.

The only problem I 'had' with it was, way too small. :p

I had to pick up a 300 ct, and that was after I built the fridgedor. ;)

I found the 300 ct on a standard auction from that seller, and won the thing for $87.55. :p

I have the same 300 count humi, and it's filling up very fast, but it looks great and for the price you can't beat it, I put some beads in some pantyhose and put them in the humidifiers and closed them back up and it holds about 67% perfectly even in the Houston humidity, it's well constructed and has a lock, for those pesky friends, haha. I'd go bigger, you'll need it. :thumbs:

Try looking at cigarbid.com, they have some great-looking humidors in that site also. :)

My humble words of advise are thease.

Humidors always fill faster then you plan on. Get as big a humis as you have the room for.

You get what you pay for. If you want something that looks nice then get a good one as well. If you just want it to do the job then get a coolidor and save even more money. A cheap humidor will (more likely then not) not do a good job and not look very good either.

I would go with a nice 300 count minimum and then set up a coolidor once the over flow begins. I personally have two 300's and a 100 I use for the ISOM's. They look nice in my house in the places I have them, but I would do just fine with one 300 and a 150 qt coolidor.

Get a reliable hygrometer, don't depend on the free ones that come with them. Your sticks end up being some money once the humis start filling up and you should protect that investment by knowing what conditions your keeping them in.

Use climmax beads. The best humidification system ever developed. A half pound in a 300 ct may sound like over kill but works beatifully. The most effective and lowest hassle humidification I have ever used.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Go as big as you can or go cheap now with a plan to go big and nice at a later date. I've got almost 17 cubic feet and I just moved things around so I could come up with more room. Luckily I still have a coolidor I can put into service if needed. :p

Also remember that the rating of size..is prolly in the range of how many pc's or #4's it will hold. If you're a Churchill smoker...a 100 count humi can turn into a 50 or less count humi in a hurry.

Here's another to look at: 300 count

Yea, I can whole heartedly agree with Horses recomendation. I have one and I love it. 100 counts just are not even close to being big enough. The two 300's I have never seem to be big enough as it is. The only way I would ever go smaller is if size was an issue with were I wanted to place it, say an office desk or something. I love my 300's and the one in Horses link is fantastic. I've even seen that exact one with glass top as well if that is important to you.

I did have a smaller 75 or 100 count I gave to my brother and it was just way too tiny for me. Elbow room is good. :thumbs:

Before you know it you wil be buying boxes of cigars instead of just afew singles and fivers every now an then.

I'm still a fan of coolerdors with beads for keeping your BOXES of cigars at the perfect humidity without a whole lot of cost ;)

Just to clear things up, I bought a humidor about a month ago. I went with a 200ct. with an inlaid diamond pattern on the top. I won't be buying another humidor for a long time. I'll just get some racks from bargainhumidors.com and buy a cooler :D

To buy a good humidor that looks good.. your gonan pay for it looking good... if you dont smoke a lot and have a desk or something you want to keep it on.show it off... then buy the better one... if its going in a corner somewhere... who cares save the $40 and buy two.