• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Favorite Holiday Ale

Scott1966

I just picked up one bottle of each to try and see which I like best:

Sierra Nevada - Celebration Ale

Saranac - Season's Best Nut Brown Lager

Harpoon - Winter Warmer

Right now I am sampling the Harpoon Winter Warmer and it is very good. I can taste nutmeg and spices in it. Reminds me of Hoegaarten Belgian white ale.

So let's hear it - what's your favorite and why? :)

It may be somewhat "regular' to you guys, but I like the Sam Adams Winter Ale.

Matt R said:
It may be somewhat "regular' to you guys, but I like the Sam Adams Winter Ale.
[snapback]150014[/snapback]​

I'd have to agree (about it being good, not being regular).

The only thing close to ale I drink during Christmas holidays is this traditional Finnish non-alcoholic drink, sweeter than beer and dark. Goes very well with the traditional Christmas dishes. It's called "kotikalja" in Finnish, which is roughly translated home-ale. We sometimes make it at home, very easy to make.

A friend of mine brought over a 6-pack of Shiner Winter Ale the other day. It was actually pretty tasty. I'm not a big fan of the beers from Shiner, but I went out and bought another 6-pack yesterday.

St. Arnold's makes a good Chritmas beer (but I don't think you can find it outside of Texas), and I really like Brekenridge Brewery's Christmas Ale.

Those are all "regular" beers, too. Most of what I can get around here, as far as seasonal beers go, are put out by larger breweries.

I'm not putting any of them down, 'cause they're all good!

Here are my favorite traditional "winter" beers:

Celebrator
EKU 28 (very potent but not the best tasting)
Maudite
Optimator
Salvator
Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout
Samuel Smiths Taddy Porter
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout

K-9 Cruiser Winter Ale by Flying Dog Ales. Now this is a good honest Ale. If you have ever tried McKewens(9%ABV) ale, or SkullSpiltter ale (9.2% ABV), both Scottish Ale's, then this is similar. It doesn't bite you back like the 2 other beers do, but it is fairly stout at %6.8 ABV. It is a very dark malty beer, with a long sweet finish.

The other good beer in this category that the make is a Porter called Road Dog. Good stuff. I think I have finally found an American Brewing company that makes crafted beers!

Emo