• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Favorite Pipes

The Master

I got into pipes back in 2001 and spent a lot of time trying all kinds of different pipes to see which ones I liked the best. After a number of years adding to my collection and then thinning it out, here is the list of my favorite pipes.

Former

Winslow

Barbi

Castello

Radice

Dunhill

Viprati

Some fine pipe makers in that list.

I don't have near the experience that a lot of folks here do, but among my collection the favorites so far include:

Boswell
Don Carlos
Fred Brandt
Nording
Peterson
Stanwell

I always seem to get a great smoke from these. I don't have much (if any) real experience with the higher end of the spectrum like Dunhill, Castello, etc., but I hope to change that sometime in the future.

I have a Boswell churchwarden, Bjarne freehand, Brebbia 623 bulldog and a couple Missouri Meersschaum cobs. I like them all for different reasons but my favorite is the Boswell.

Not only is the Boswell the best smoker of the bunch but I feel good supporting him. They are very friendly have great service and blend some really great tobacco as well. This pipe seems more hand crafted than my other pipes. Each one of his pipes seem completely unique. The other pipes I own have a more massed produced, commercial feel to them and seem less personal.

I like that Boswell keeps the prices reasonable. At this point it's hard for me to justify paying four hundred dollars or more for a pipe and if I did I would probably be paranoid about damaging it in some way. Who knows, maybe the extra money spent is worth it, but I wont be finding out anytime soon.

So my vote is definitely for Boswell. His pipes have character.

-mark

I've had Dunhills,Castellos,Winslows,Bjarnes, a dozen or so one off hand mades by various carvers. But when I grab a pipe to relax 9 times out of 10 its a Stanwell.

I smoke only Italian made pipes as that is what I am accustomed to, and rather take a fancy to Radice, and Aldo Velani. I tend to shy away from Savinelli especially their lower end as I find the the stem/draw and bowl holes do not line up and make it hard to run a pipe cleaner through.

However as an Italian as much as it kills me to confess there are of course many other excellent make out there!

This is an interesting thread--thanks, Harris. Right now my pipes are focused on vintage GBDs and Boswells. Because I smoked a pipe during college, I bought (or at least I still have) 11 GBDs from the early 70s, including some French ones. They are all still great smokers. I'm thinking of adding some more of the vintage ones; the current day Smokers Haven (a shadow of the original shop and owned by different people) still has a few unsmoked GBDs from their original inventory.

As to the Boswell's--3 so far. All are terrific smokers especially for the price.

I've been considering some of the high end stuff but question how much better a Dunhill is, for example, than a Boswell for a fraction of the price.

I've owned a few Savinelli's they are fine pipes...not my favorite but they can be good smokers.

I own a few Dunhiill's and a few Castello's my current favorites are the Castello's.

I smoke only Italian made pipes as that is what I am accustomed to, and rather take a fancy to Radice, and Aldo Velani. I tend to shy away from Savinelli especially their lower end as I find the the stem/draw and bowl holes do not line up and make it hard to run a pipe cleaner through.

However as an Italian as much as it kills me to confess there are of course many other excellent make out there!

You shy away from Savinelli and you have two of them?

intresting.....

My first pipe I ever bought was a Savinelli. It retailed for 155.00. It is still in my collection and it still smokes cool and dry. The other Savinelli I own I bought on Ebay. It smokes fine, but the hole doesn't line up and it is a bitch to run a pipe cleaner through it, I rarely if ever smoke this one.

I picked up a professor a few weeks ago, retail about 155 - 160. Great dadgum pipe, i love it. dedicated it to my english blends.

I do have a couple sav. although I lately I have been buying other brands that I have long since been absent from. I am not saying that sav. is not a good pipe, however with allot of there less expensive lines the holes do not line up correctly, and as you have seen they tend to arrive with minor imperfections and scratches. Furthermore, I won't debate that there higher end lines are truly something to be had, but if im going to spend that kind of money than why not go for a sir Jacopo or a Radici.

Pre-Trans Barling
Family era Sasieni, (pre-war)
1930s Kaywoodie
1930s Dunhill shells
Charatan, (Lane era)
Cavicchi, (Diammonte)
1970s Ben Wade, (Preben Holms carved)
Preben Holms, (Hallmarks and Collectors)
1970s Nording, (don't collect these but I do have one sweet one that smokes like a dream)
1980s Ashton, (made with Dunhill wood)
1970s Savinelli Autographs
Pre-rebublic Petersons

I seem to grab for the Barlings and Kaywoodies first. After that it's pretty much whatever strikes me as I stand there before the collection gazing.

I got into pipes back in 2001 and spent a lot of time trying all kinds of different pipes to see which ones I liked the best. After a number of years adding to my collection and then thinning it out, here is the list of my favorite pipes.

Former

Winslow

Barbi

Castello

Radice

Dunhill

Viprati

Get a Boswell, you won't be disappointed.

I really love Cavicchi pipes, the man is a perfectionist with his engineering, his pipes are amazing smokers. I'm also a huge fan of his rustic finish done by his wife and his artistic matching of shape with grain. His pipes aren't inexpensive but relatively speaking they offer huge value for money.

The Radice Clear I recently acquired is proving to be a great smoker as well.

I only have one Dunhill and it's a great pipe, they just aren't the best value for money, but I would definitely acquire more on the estate market.