• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

FDA Reopening Comment Period Regarding New Pending Regulations

Well, if they do to cigars what they just did to NFA transfers (Suppressors, Short Barreled Rifles, and Machine Guns) we are defintely screwed.

They don't listen to reason, they don't give a damn about the people enjoying the items, but they will restrict consumption because a few think it is evil.

Seems backwards that the voice of a few should override the voice of the many. I'm not advocating pure democracy, as mob rule is also an extreme, but single digit percentages of a population sure seem to get their way more than they should.

Or maybe I should pick hobbies these whackjobs enjoy since they always want to ban the shit I like. Maybe they could ban themselves into extinction, then.

Where's my pitchfork!? Maybe we can team up with the Oathkeepers. :)

Guys, in our hearts we knew something like this could eventually come. These anti-smoking Nazis could care less about the difference between cigarettes & cigars. They're ignorant, arrogant, and in their eyes, 'smoking is smoking'. Period. It's their way or the highway.

Think about this, with our President making nicey nice with Cuba, will these new rules hammer that market before their cigars even hit our shores should import regulations be eased up?

On an other note....where are the "Cigar Rights in America" guys? Will they now disband that association now that they've failed miserably?

I hate to be such a cynical pessimist, but I truly believe groups like the CRA and the NRA (I've been involved with guns longer than cigars, so that's why I make so many comparisons.) can only survive by compromising our rights. If they do exactly what they set out to do, they would be obsolete if they were successful. Unfortunately, they think giving an inch is only an inch. When the opposition wants complete and total annihilation of the items in question, an inch is never an inch.

Case in point, in 1994, the NRA, Ruger and a few others decided that magazines should be limited to 10 rounds, that AR-15's had no sporting purpose, and a National Instant Check System run by the .gov was reasonable gun control. They boosted this huge loss of freedom as a win. If that was a win, just how bad would a loss have been?! Luckily, Bush let the Clinton Ban sunset in 2004.

Never thought this would be a political issue, but maybe we need to start finding out where our elected officials stand on Cigars.

Never thought this would be a political issue, but maybe we need to start finding out where our elected officials stand on Cigars.
Don't forget big Pharma, Insurance, Big tobacco, etc. that all profit and destroy competition, from this.

Though I may not like whatever policy will be mandated, cigars, are not likely going to resolve any social issues negatively impacting our neighbors, communities, and country. When our veterans, elderly and children are seen as not a priority and we are still putting the needs of lobbyists and the super wealthy ahead of the worker, small business owner, teacher, police officer etc, something is really screwy. We should be leading the world, but we are busy focusing on so much negativity instead of a common good. Yes, most people who make decisions in the government have absolutely zero clue. They are simple pawns appointed to make decisions in favor of those who appointed them.

Just my .02

I did some digging online and I've been attempting to put together a list of brands this would affect in the worst case scenario. Being new to the habit, I wasn't around in 2008 to know what was "new" then, so I'm having some trouble seeing the scope of what effect all of this will have.

Perhaps if others have some useful articles or lists they can send to me, I'll work on creating a new post with all of the information combined. Otherwise I'll just find whatever I can from the internet and make a list for everyone. A list like this could double as a "Go stock up on these brands" if things do end up where they seem to be heading.

Just a proactive thought.

I did some digging online and I've been attempting to put together a list of brands this would affect in the worst case scenario. Being new to the habit, I wasn't around in 2008 to know what was "new" then, so I'm having some trouble seeing the scope of what effect all of this will have.

Perhaps if others have some useful articles or lists they can send to me, I'll work on creating a new post with all of the information combined. Otherwise I'll just find whatever I can from the internet and make a list for everyone. A list like this could double as a "Go stock up on these brands" if things do end up where they seem to be heading.

Just a proactive thought.

I'm not sure why there is an arbitrary cutoff date, unless some of the old established brands are trying to cut competition.

That being said, don't be surprised if that $5 economy stick starts getting scalped for $50, overnight.

Using my favorite parallel, ammo goes nuts every time there is a panic. Nationwide, rimfire 22 ammo has been scarce for at least 4 years.

I had recently heard that Don Pepin was re-releasing his original blend El Rey De Los Habanos. Pre 2007 blend, so I suspect it's a safe bet for him. I wonder how much that sort of thing will happen. Tatuaje Cabinet is probably safe. Padron and Fuente is Golden with most of their stuff. I think Illusione came out in 2005. Not to say prices won't go up across the board to possibly pay off the FDA weenies. All my favorites will at least be available.

With FDA involvement, I'm guessing online ordering is going bye bye, as well.

Now to just get them classified under "herbal" "organic" "Aroma therapy"?????

I'm not sure why there is an arbitrary cutoff date, unless some of the old established brands are trying to cut competition.

That being said, don't be surprised if that $5 economy stick starts getting scalped for $50, overnight.

Using my favorite parallel, ammo goes nuts every time there is a panic. Nationwide, rimfire 22 ammo has been scarce for at least 4 years.

The date isn't entirely arbitrary. The proposed date is the date that was used when the FDA started to regulate cigarettes seven years ago. At that time the FDA said that everything that didn't exist prior to a two year window would have to go through testing. So they basically picked that same date for cigars and vapor products to make it consistent knowing that they could use the date as a bargaining chip down the road. They could have picked the same window (two years), and my guess is that is in fact what they will do.

I would suspect there will be a panic buy on a lot of the newer release stuff.

Brian - one way to do it is to go through the yearly release information that halfwheel publishes. Anything on that list would likely be dead.

I do suspect that there will be enough pressure that we won't be looking at 2008 as the magic cutoff date, but rather something more recent. And yes, this will lead to industry consolidation. The big boys (General Cigars, AF, Ashton, Davidoff, etc.) will get bigger. The boutique industry will be dead if the date is 2008. Bye-bye Crowned Head, Warped, RomaCraft, Fratello, Epic, L'Aletier, Olivia, Room 101, LFD, Ezra Zion, most of Tatueje and a bunch more. If the date only goes back two year, most of these guys should still stay around. Or else they may consolidate their offerings to just a couple of blends in the most popular vitola. I hope everyone like toros and robustos.

Brian - one way to do it is to go through the yearly release information that halfwheel publishes. Anything on that list would likely be dead.

I'll be doing just that later tonight. I'd just like to make a quick and easy reference for those of us who don't know which years certain brands released certain lines.

The other tricky part is that right now the price point for qualifying for the exemption is $10. That means all the cigars that costing less then $10 either need to get a price hike even if they meet the cut-off date. Who knows what the regs will say. Maybe they won't base the definition of a "premium" cigar simply on price.

I thinking I may put together a shopping list of a few things I may want to have a few boxes of and be ready to submit them to my favorite shop once the hammer falls.

The other tricky part is that right now the price point for qualifying for the exemption is $10. That means all the cigars that costing less then $10 either need to get a price hike even if they meet the cut-off date. Who knows what the regs will say. Maybe they won't base the definition of a "premium" cigar simply on price.

I thinking I may put together a shopping list of a few things I may want to have a few boxes of and be ready to submit them to my favorite shop once the hammer falls.

If you think the hammer is falling, you would be wise to consider placing the order earlier than later.

Be the ant, not the grasshopper.

On an other note....where are the "Cigar Rights in America" guys? Will they now disband that association now that they've failed miserably?
But Gary, they had like 300 co sponsors on that bill a couple of years ago that they failed to bring to the floor for a vote to exempt cigars from FDA regulation. That has to count for something...right???

I was at an Ashton event last week and was speaking with the Ashton guy (don't recall his name) about the whole FDA thing. He believes that the 2007 date is what the FDA will use largely because that is what the biggest players in the cigar industry want. It's in the best interest of Swisher and the other dime store brands to see the demise of the boutique industry. He didn't seem terribly worried about not being able to launch new lines however. But then again, Ashton is one of the big players and I'm assuming has the resources to pay for the testing.

Speaking of testing, anyone have a spare one of these laying around? FDA wants to buy it from you...

http://halfwheel.com/cigar-smoking-machine-sought-by-fda/108303

Pretty disappointing, I will say. For all their talk and bluster.....and fundraising, I don't see they've done jack.