• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Few Questions

portagyplaya12

I haven't been smoking too long, however I've always wondered if or when you should remove the ash from the end of your cigar while smoking. Or maybe it should simply fall off naturally?

Second, I have a Humidor that I got for free with a purchase at CI, however there is no hygrometer built in. How can I keep track of the humidity levels?

And lastly, I notice that some of you are very good at picking up the flavors of a smoke, however I never seem to pick up more than one or two. Is this simply a skill that comes with time and experience, or am I making a mistake?

Thanks all,

Corey

I haven't been smoking too long, however I've always wondered if or when you should remove the ash from the end of your cigar while smoking. Or maybe it should simply fall off naturally?

Second, I have a Humidor that I got for free with a purchase at CI, however there is no hygrometer built in. How can I keep track of the humidity levels?

And lastly, I notice that some of you are very good at picking up the flavors of a smoke, however I never seem to pick up more than one or two. Is this simply a skill that comes with time and experience, or am I making a mistake?

Thanks all,

Corey

Hey Corey!

The ash question is completely Your preference, there is no right or wrong there.

Buy a good digital hygrometer like the Hygroset II, about $20.

Picking up flavors just come naturally. A lot of it depends on the density of your taste buds.

Best,

I&P

What investandprosper said, it depends on you. Are you a non-taster, a normal taster or a super taster?
I think of my self as a normal taster and when I first starting smoking cigars back in June I didn't get anything
from them and now I'm picking up more flavors, a lot more everyday.
You also have to really think of what you're tasting, if you're talking to a friend or reading a book while you smoke you'll be distracted. Also get in the habit of smelling and tasting things, so it'll be easy for your brain to recall this info next time you smoke a stogie.
I didn't come up with this, I read it somewhere. :p

I've been smoking cigars for 11 years and I still have trouble picking up flavors. I still classify cigars as "good" or "not good", hah.

Hey Corey,

Welcome to CP.

Do you drink wine at all? If so, you may have noticed how some wines are floral, citrusy, etc. Other wines have flavors like apple, oak, raspberry, pineapple, cocoa, etc which hit you right in the face. Cigars are very similar. While pulling flavors out of cigars isn't as easy as distinguishing flavors from wine, they are certainly there. Some cigars are more flavorful than others. It took me a few years of smoking cigars until flavors jumped out at me. Don't try looking for flavors, just enjoy the smoke, and you'll begin to taste the subtle hints. Enjoy the new hobby...

I recommend getting a digital hygrometer, and tossing it in your humidor.

Rod

There is some real good advice here. Just be patient...the longer you smoke, the more you will be able to extract from a cigar. Some will always taste more, but remember..mtaste is an individual thing. What you taste can be different from what someone else is experiencing while smoking the same cigar.

Bah! Replied to the other thread and didn't see this one. I guess I need stronger coffee.

Haha it seems that I posted it twice accidentally. I was posting from my iPhone so it's a little glitchy.

Thank you all for your input. I'm on the search for a decent priced hygrometer now

Hi Corey. Welcome to CP.

A lot of good advice given, but there is some differing schools of thought on ash on or off.

Some say keeping it long keeps the smoke cooler. I always try to leep mine on until the point of inevitability, Then I let er rip.

Try it, and see what you think.

Looks like they're out of stock. Anywhere else I could check?

Check your local wal-mart/k-mart if you don't mind large ones, or check cigarmonster.com at 11:00 every day. They usually have a smaller one pop up every week or so for $15 including shipping. Otherwise, your local tobacconist or any of the large online realtors should have some.

Well, I've tried to follow Monks advise, (Some say keeping it long keeps the smoke cooler. I always try to leep mine on until the point of inevitability), and this is when I find out the inevitability ends up on my shirt or pants). Maybe the gravity is stronger in Texas. That being said, if you have lots of shirts and pants, go for it and see which is smarter, the ash or you. ???

Looks like they're out of stock. Anywhere else I could check?

WhatYouTalkinBoutWillis.jpg

That sucks. That's the one I have and it works flawlessly.

Rod, we need more digital hygros on aisle 3! :D

From what I have gathered is a longer ash will mute some flavors till it has been ashed. This is the best time to pick up on flavors in a cigar. Just my personal opinion on it. I have had a lot better experiences smoking cigars and picking up subtle flavors since my doctor put me on a sinus spray and allergy pill. :thumbs:

I'm another one of those guys that tends to let the ash go long. I usually smoke outdoors so it isn't a problem. As far as my clothes...cigar ash does not tend to stain, and longer ashes are cooler so I don't worry about it burning holes. There is the occasional exception though. I find that a long ash let's the cigar burn cooler.

Does the strength of the ash reflect the quality of the cigar in any way? For example, a crappy cigar wont' allow a really long ash, but a quality cigar will have long ashes? Some cigars definitely withstand longer ashes than others.

Does the strength of the ash reflect the quality of the cigar in any way? For example, a crappy cigar wont' allow a really long ash, but a quality cigar will have long ashes? Some cigars definitely withstand longer ashes than others.

Nope.

I try to leave the ash on as long as possible. It seems that my cigars always need a little touchup after they are ashed. Not sure why that happens but it is annoying.