• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

FF OpusX "A"

AdvAutoBob

No catchy member title yet...
(moved to correct folder now)

Fuente Fuente OpusX Perfecxion A

Wrapper - DOM (CF rosado)
Filler - DOM
Binder - DOM

Size 9-1/4" (!) x 47 (one long puppy)
Overall construction - 10/10
Flavor 7/10
Burn 7/10

Rating 24/30 (80/100)

Prelight impression: I had saved this particular stick for a special occasion (see my post in the Lobby for details), and after taking it from its coffin, I was very impressed with the construction. No visible flaws anywhere, the "feel" was consistent throughout - no soft or hard spots anywhere, with the rapper having a slightly oily looking sheen. For a cigar I paid $35 for, I'd expect nothing less (yes, I know MSRP is $25, but I got it at Sosa's on a Disney trip..you gotta pay the "tourist tax"). When clipped, it clipped quite easily and no bits of filler,binder, etc. like I've had with other sticks fell out - still perfect so far. The aroma was earthy and slightly pungent (so far, signature Opus), and draw was good. With other Opus, I noticed an immediate taste of the powerful spices on my lips when test-drawing (that familiar jalapeno flavor that Opus is famous for), and did not notice it on the A. I thought it was a result of it sittng for 4 months in the humi (doubtful), or maybe the rumors of it's mildness are true.

After the 15 second toasting of the foot (what a long stick this thing was!), it lit quite easily and evenly. I STILL failed to get the Opus power I've come to expect, but the first impression was of muted spices, and a leathery taste I'd never tasted before in an Opus. It seemed to me kind of like a Hemingway with extra kick, for lack of a better term. Burn was good...nice and even, with the ash a bit on the dark gray side and flaking (not tight as others). In the first inch, a large chunk of the ash fell off one side, so I'd attribute that to the rolling. Flavor was starting to get a bit spicier as it moved along.
The second third of the stick, some of the familiar Opus spices started to punch through, but still didn't have the punch of say the Opus Robusto I'd had the previous night (that one punched me in the gut - didn't eat very much before smoking it and I paid the price). I'm not saying it wasn't good, just that it didn't have the famed power. Burn continued to be even, with the ash tightening up a lot...so much so that I had to work at knocking it off at times. The finish was medium, not chewy at all. The smoke output was consistent with Opus (quite a lot!).
Reaching the third 1/3, I then began having burn issues. It stayed even, but tended to go out without warning. A quick hit with the torch and it was right back in business. It did this probably 4 times. The flavor picked up a bit with some woody flavoring. The smoke got a little hotter, but I figured the relighting probably had something to do with it (having to hotbox it a little to get it going again). At no time during the entire 3 and a half hours (looooong smoke!) was the draw anything but perfect.

Bottom line: A nice quality smoke to be sure, but a lot milder than I expected. Was it worth the $$$ spent? My opinion is no...for $35 (even $25), I expect a full-bodied smoke to knock my socks off. The A failed to do this. Maybe it was an anomaly, but for the price, I'm a bit hesitant to find out for sure.

Robert

Bottom line: A nice quality smoke to be sure, but a lot milder than I expected. Was it worth the $$$ spent? My opinion is no...for $35 (even $25), I expect a full-bodied smoke to knock my socks off. The A failed to do this. Maybe it was an anomaly, but for the price, I'm a bit hesitant to find out for sure.

That's normal... the A's are the mildest Opus around. If you're looking for kick, go for the xXx, Lancero, #4, No5, etc.

Welcome to CP... might want to post this in the Cigar Reviews forum next time tho... :)

I've had the same experience...they are on the milder side when it comes to Opus X. But the flavor is so fantastic!!! I like that it is different than the others...why do they all have to knock you on your ass? The great Opus X experience in a tame package (3.5 hour package)...I have another one, bought this year, that is waiting for New Year's '07. Can't wait! Worth the price? Hell yes.

-Fetter

I'll have to pick one up. I love the DC's but they will put me on my face by the 2/3 point. I love big smokes like that on occasion, but I agree with fetter...it is nice not to want to throw up at the end! :) Great review. You answered all the questions I had.

I have never had the A, but have smoked a few Double Coronas. Smooth and gently peppered. Nice review, makes me want to try an A even more.