• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fidel Castro Resigns

So, after finishing a paper for my argumentative writing class, I come across this on yahoo news at 2am CST. Fidel Castro has officially resigned! The article is listed below, but I'm sure this will be huge news in the morning.

CASTRO RESIGNS

Do you think this news is good or bad for cigar related issues with this country in the future?

Hahah, freakin weird bro! I'm up studying, and I just ran across the same article. Honestly, I see it changing nothing at all, but god I want to be wrong!! :love:

CNN reports:

"Raul Castro is generally seen as more pragmatic and less inclined to deliver the kind of long-winded speeches for which his brother is famous.

Ordinary Cubans have wondered whether a permanent change in power in Cuba will lead to lower food prices, higher salaries and more freedom to travel."

Depending on diplomatic relations I doubt that we can expect to see any changes in free trade with Cuba any time soon, but hey- this IS an election year...

D

Castro? I think the ball is in our court now. What are we going to do?

Raul? How many Castro's are there?

lol, Raul is his bological brother. He is also Minister of Defence, and has been for a long time. Fidel doesn't talk about his family, but in fact has at least 2 children (believed to be one at least in Europe) that left him.

The people of this third world country need hope. Conditions there are horrible. Running potable water, fresh paint (or any) on homes, new roofs, transit system that actually works, .... etc.

I don't know if its election year there or not. I think they just had them. Time will tell. Be patient, and hope for democracy.

Personally, I believe it's only a matter of time before the "U. S. Repellent Fence" around that island will be open. I don't know if Raul will in fact take over. Don't forget, he's only a couple of years younger than Fidel, who's older than dirt so I figure a younger man will take over. Who that is? Who knows. Will he be Anti-US?? Again, who knows. I do believe though that the US Powers-That-Be will kiss major ass to get control of the oil fields off the north coast.

Unfortunately, it's also only a matter of time before the prices of Cuban Cigars jumps (and quality decreases), vacations become double or triple the price, and greed becomes abundant in that fair land because of the amount of cash that'll be thrown at it from all over the orld, especially it's closest neighbour.

Sunward, pray tell what you've seen there "with your own eyes" to make you say conditions are horrible???

All else being said, I fear I've seen that beautiful land and talked, drank and smoked with those wonderful, down-to-earth people for the last time.

Sunward, pray tell what you've seen there "with your own eyes" to make you say conditions are horrible???

I have been to Cuba, and travelled to villages, and Havanna (we hired a driver). We went to peoples private homes and saw how these ordinary people live.

My sister has been there several times on mission trips, and she said average Joe is dirt poor, the economy sucks, living conditions are terrible. Other than that, it's pretty dang peachy, another example of communism failing miserably.

I also do not think that anything will change. I heard on some news outlets that over the past few years Castro has been putting young people who follow the same beliefs as his in key power positions.

Now if the Kennedy's, and their kind, would just retire!

Oh well, I'm having a cigar today just to celebrate!

I have been to Cuba, and travelled to villages, and Havanna (we hired a driver). We went to peoples private homes and saw how these ordinary people live.

Not having been to Havana, I can't comment on that. But the areas I've been to I saw a breed of proud, very polite people who, IMHO and as I've said here before, are happier with their lot than the average North American.

My sister has been there several times on mission trips, and she said average Joe is dirt poor, the economy sucks, living conditions are terrible. Other than that, it's pretty dang peachy, another example of communism failing miserably.

I am not a Communist nor do I believe in the Policies and I believe you can quote examples from all over the world that Communism WILL fail, no doubt.

However, when you talk of dirt poor, an economy that sucks and terrible living conditions, you have to understand what you compare it to.

Do you compare "Dirt Poor" to the familys of friends we have whose kids threw temper tantrums Christmas morning because they didn't get the latest & greatest iPod they asked Santa for? or the ones that didn't get the Wii they were promised?

Do you compare the "Economy that sucks" to ours where every 10 or 15% drop in the stock market causes suicides and general Stock Market mayhem?

Do you compare "Terrible Living Conditions" to the $400,000 house on my street that dwarfs and shodows my modest 1000 sq ft bungalow?

I've cited extreme examples, I admit, but understand, compare it.

Would I want to life as they do? No, I wouldn't. Would I want to be as proud, be as happy and family oriented as they are? God Damn right I would.

Do I support all of Castro's policies? Hell no, not in any way shape or form. But look honestly at some of the things he's done to try to improve parts of living in Cuba, like "Mandatory" Post-Secondary education and a Medical system that is at least making an attempt.

I have the utmost of respect for those who've left Cuba for "other worlds" and what they went through to get where they are now. I hope they don't feel anything against me for my views on Cuba. They didn't like it, they left, all the more power to them. However, I also respect those who love Cuba for what it is.

Do I think it'll change this year or next?? Yes, I believe we all believe it'll change in time. Whether it's for better or worse is to be seen and will still be anyone's opinion.

I saw similar conditions in the Philippines, and they're happy because they focus on relationships, not stuff, and stuff doesn't matter at the end of the day, relationships do. I think what i and another poster are saying is not a knock on the Cuban people (my sister raves about the Cuban people), but conditions there are pretty rough, and with a country like Cuba, it shouldn't have to be. Maybe some positive change will happen soon, for the Cuban people.

Yes, Americans are TERRIBLY spoiled, terribly. Interesting how politicians talk about ending poverty here, we don't have poverty here, not even close, compared to the stuff you see in 3rd world countries.

All great points. Hence the simple fact that Americans are doing all they can to make a raft and trying to get into Cuba. Anyone can see it.

All great points. Hence the simple fact that Americans are doing all they can to make a raft and trying to get into Cuba. Anyone can see it.

:laugh:

Newfie, not trying to 'start anything', but are you saying that the Cuban people are better off being poor, and that whatever Fidel's doing is working as the evils of Capitalism inherently corrupt, and that the Gov't knows what's best for the people, the people don't?