• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

FINALLY, a new lap top

Humidor Minister

My other lap top has had a power plug issue for months. Going to cost a fortune to fix. Fortunately one of my friends owns a computer store. He needs some dynamat along with some other goodies installed in his truck....I need a new lap top. We came to an agreement. :thumbs: I should be back in force in a couple days. No computer in the off time really sucks. I really like reviewing a good cigar soon after I smoke it or even while I smoke it. You still have the taste fresh on the mind. :thumbs: I've even set aside some cigars waiting for the computer just so I can do a proper review. Finally, life willl be back to normal.

Good to hear. Hopefully you're getting a nice laptop out of the deal. :)

Just got it a few minutes ago. I don't know much about them but it's a HP Pavilion dv6-2190us. It has the new windows 7 and the intel i7 core something or other. It even has a wireless remote that pops out of it. (Why I don't know. Maybe my hands aren't close enough to the key board.) Has a web cam too. That way others can see my ugly mug(see avatar). Also has something called Geforce. I think it's for games. Seems to have a lot of features. Time will tell. Now we have to Dynamat his Chevy diesel and his vette. No problem.

Needless to say, CP is my first icon to go on the screen.

Looks like you made out pretty well. The i7 is very fast, and you are right about the geforce, its a video card used for playing 3d games. Congrats on the new lap top :thumbs:

Thanks. I'm glad I made a good deal for both o us. I just found it has all kinds of other stuff too. Rhapsody, Hulu, Netflix, Pandora and Snapfish. Pandora is pretty cool. Haven't messed with the other stuff yet. Have no idea how to use the camera yet either. In time I guess.

pandora is a really awesome website, really helps you expand what you think you like in music. Also I am jealous of the specs haha, wanna trade for my 3 year old laptop?

Nice rig Bill, seems like you got the better end of the bargain!

Definitely get an extended warranty on it. Most HP laptops have a lifespan of about a year or so without something serious breaking (faulty motherboard or the graphics chip dying are the two most common). 90% of the PCs I fix are made by HP. The i7 chip is excellent, as well as the Nvidia graphics. Maybe HP started using higher quality parts, but it would still behoove you to get the extended warranty. Repairs can get into the high hundreds very easily. Congrats on the new notebook!

I am on an HP now, lasted me since summer of '07. I did have a battery die on me, but I think that it is mostly my fault. I have had alot of friends with issues though, but I am doing fine with mine so it can happen haha.

Bill it's good to hear that you have a new laptop now. Nothing worse than having issues with a computer when you want to get some stuff done. Good luck with it...... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Congrats on the new computer. I find it amazing how technology dependent we are these days. I remember when I was a kid in the 80s and my dad got me my first computer from Radio Shack. It was a TRS80 with a monochrome monitor that was attached to the keyboard. I remember using a tape recorder as a disk drive to save files. No internet back then of course, at least not in the sense of what we use now. Bizarre how rapidly technology evolves.

Definitely get a warranty on your HP. They break all the time and cost a lot to fix. I will never go back to an HP machine again due to this. They are good machines, but not reliable. I'm loving my Toshiba!

I actually sell extended warranties on other stuff here at my shop so I'll buy one of my own. Thanks for the advice. What blows me away is, my last lap top was 3k. It was the best of its kind in its day. It has an 80GB hard drive. The new one is 500GB HD and retails for 2k less. It also has the best picture I've seen on a laptop. It really is amazing how fast the technology advances. I'll never use all the features, but it's nice to know if I need them, they are there.
I'll have to smoke something good just to do a review this weekend. I look forward to it. (like a fix for my addiction. :laugh: )

I think I cursed myself in this thread, as my laptopt has now bit the dust. O well, guess its an excuse to get a new one!