• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Finally caved in!

bluue13

So I finally caved and bought a pipe. Yeah, so Its a corn cob pipe and nothing too crazy but I figured it was a good place to start to see if I really liked pipes before I got too deep into pipe smoking. I'm definitely looking forward to it, though. So does anyone have any good suggestions as to a good tobacco to start with? Im open to any flavors or strengths. Thanks in advance!

I would start with some OTC's first (Captain Black, Carter Hall etc) that way you can kind of find what you gravitate towards. Also, you won't have a lot of money wrapped up in something you do not care for.

You might then want to contact a B&M like Boswell's on the web. They have various blends, aromatics as well as English. My favorite there is their Christmas Cookie.

I just started smoking some English blends and really like the original Frog Morton.

Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.

Dave

I would start with some OTC's first (Captain Black, Carter Hall etc) that way you can kind of find what you gravitate towards. Also, you won't have a lot of money wrapped up in something you do not care for.

You might then want to contact a B&M like Boswell's on the web. They have various blends, aromatics as well as English. My favorite there is their Christmas Cookie.

I just started smoking some English blends and really like the original Frog Morton.

Dave

I'm a Frog Morton fan too! Across the Pond is another favorite.

Dave

I'm a Frog Morton fan too! Across the Pond is another favorite.
That is the next Frog Morton I want to try. When I first bought it and opened the tin I told my wife, "Boy, i think I just wasted some $". But after my first try I was hooked. :)

I am a firm believer in NOT starting with aromatics or other drug store brands heavily cased in PG.
This runs a huge risk of turning you off to pipe smoking fast. Even more so if you are used to smoking any cigar over mild in flavor.

The Cob is great, and really the best bang for the buck. I always keep 2 or 3 in the house.

I suggest a Lighter English Blend like Squadron Leader, a Virginia like Christmas Cheer, a VaPer like Escudo, and maybe some of Pipesandcigars.com "Sweet and Savory"
(a very nice blend that spans the gap between the first two.) That is about the cost of a fiver of decent cigars and will last you a hell of a lot longer.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I will be looking into them!

Greg Pease is of the opinion that new smokers should start with fuller blends as they won't have the refined palette to appreciate the nuances of the milder blends. I have to agree. I would suggest starting with a good VA and a good English to see where your tastes lie. I would say to get yourself a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced (VA) and a few ounces of Cornell and Diehl's Star of the East (heavy Latakia English Blend). Each is a good representative of its genre, both are easily available and relatively cheap.

I happen to be a fan of OTC blends, so I'd also suggest that the next time you find yourself at CVS or Walgreens you get yourself a pouch of Prince Albert or Carter Hall to get that traditional Burley experience that so many of our fathers and grandfathers smoked day in and day out.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely give some OTC blends a whirl. Why not, right??

Bluue I will be very interested to hear how it goes for you. I am much like yourself where I have really considered branching out to a pipe but I haven't pulled the trigger like you have. Can't wait to hear how it goes for you

I dont recommend any OTC's, I think they can turn a new pipe smoker off. Like it did me a few years ago. My first non aromatic and non otc blend was Frog Morton On The Town. It totally blew me away at the time, and It's still one of my favorites. Try a 50g tin of it to see if you like it. :)

Thanks guys! The response has been great! I'm going to make it a point to try everything that was suggested, yes, even the OTC. Who knows, I might love it!

Just picked a 50g tin each of Escudo Navy Deluxe and Frog Morton original. Looking forward to trying them out!

two good choices! Make sure you rub them out and let them dry for an hour or two on a paper towel! Good luck, I hope you like them!

two good choices! Make sure you rub them out and let them dry for an hour or two on a paper towel! Good luck, I hope you like them!

I've been wondering about that, thanks for the advice!

I've been wondering about that, thanks for the advice!

Or just lay a couple of coins out to dry a bit, roll them up in a ball, and stuff them halfway down into the bowl leaving an air pocket underneath. It's a little harder to get lit that way, but the flavor hits you right in the gonads once you get it going.