• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Finally Found One...Espresso Heaven!

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
I've always wanted a commercial espresso maker made in Italy as those seem to lead the industry in high end, rugged, dependable espresso makers. They just pull a better shot than the home units, brew at a higher temperature, and put out a good amount of crema...and the espresso tastes different than what we make with the stove top pot....both good, just different. Seems I've been using the moka to make cafe style coffee lately and went back to my Capresso espresso maker for my daily espresso habit.

I knew what I wanted and I didn't want any digital controls or fancy electronics, just a straight forward, manual espresso maker. One thing is, these type of machines hold their value because you can rebuild them back to new spec at any time....IF you have an engineering background or are a rocket scientist! The schematics for any part on these things is mind boggling...and the parts?...open your wallet and assume the position. Well, I finally found the one I wanted.  :thumbs:

The whole feel of the machine is awesome. From the weight of the portafilters to the feel of the steam knobs...precision and quality.  

When I got it home, I stripped it down and started to inspect each component...

image_zps5dd2265f.jpg

I spent two days sorting through things and cleaning it up, the worst of which was an electrical issue on the control module that was fried, which I guess is why they parted with it. I spent an hour and a half with a soldering iron to repair the burnt circuit board with a few jump wires. I'm going to go through the rest of the functions before disassembling it so I can acid dip the copper boiler, descale it, and then start to clean out all the copper tubing, solenoid controlled valves, manual valves, and the braided stainless steel hoses. While it sounds like a lot, it's not too bad considering the end results.

image_zps62ffc74e.jpg

Got it cleaned up and put back together, now I'm waiting to see if the heating element works in the boiler and if it comes up to pressure...I was so psyched to see the red power light come on!

image_zps431de8f0.jpg

Talk about a labor of love  :laugh: But once I'm done, it should last me 'til I croke!

Holy crap Gary that sounds like a project that I wouldn't know where to start. It's sure looking good and I hope everything fires up. It sounds like you know what your doing and enjoying it at the same time.

Very cool Gary good luck with the rest of the project.

Paul

Cool coffe maker Gary !

I own an Olimpia cremina from the 70's that continues to deliver consistant and incredible expressos each weekend. :)

Nice setup Gary. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm now using a Bosch Tassimo T55, crema in 20 seconds, latte in 40.

Light this! said:
Holy crap Gary that sounds like a project that I wouldn't know where to start. It's sure looking good and I hope everything fires up. It sounds like you know what your doing and enjoying it at the same time.

I was a bit over whelmed when I first got it as I didn't know where to even start, but I did some online research, found an owners manual on the Internet, read articles on a few forums that covered the rebuild process, then finally said "f*ck it" and started tearing it apart!

At the end of the day it's standard electrics and valves...how hard can it be?  ???

louich said:
Cool coffe maker Gary !

I own an Olimpia cremina from the 70's that continues to deliver consistant and incredible expressos each weekend. :)

WoW!...THAT'S a fantastic espresso maker. :thumbs:  

I always loved the lever units, less mechanics to go wrong! New versions of that model are almost 4K...and refurbed models, the same age as yours, are well over 1K.

What ! A 1000 bucks !

Lucky me I guess I received mine when my dad bought a nespresso last year.

louich said:
What ! A 1000 bucks !

Lucky me I guess I received mine when my dad bought a nespresso last year.

If it looks like this one it is.....

Olympia_zpsfa67f1d5.jpg

Exactly like that one except it has an orange like color.

Exactly like that one. (my eyes just poped when I cliked the link)

You just gave me an urge to redo all the seals (the press is leaking a bit). To the Interwebs I go for seal package ! Lol