• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Finally stopped at Corona Cigar Co.

AdvAutoBob

No catchy member title yet...
Well, after reading a few posts about Corona Cigar in Orlando, and looking through their catalog, I finally made it there Saturday. I was up in Orlando picking up some Corvette parts, and with some time to kill, went over to the Corona on Sand Lake Road.

I was impressed by the incredible selection of cigars they had on hand, and the box pricing was pretty good, IMO. Those of you who've been there already know about it, so I'm sorry if I bore you with this, but I had to convey my experience there. :) Boxes of HTF stuff (BTL, Anejo's but only one box of Hemi maddies - Classics). I had no need of any of these, already being well-stocked myself. What suprised me was what I found in one of thier display humidors... according to the description, 1959 pre-embargo ISOMs (starting at $300 per stick!). Overall, I thought the place was very well appointed, and the staff courteous and attentive. Nice place.

I picked up a box of La Aurora 1495 #4's for $150 (just had one recently that blew my socks off, so I decided to add some to the humi), and grabbed a Gurkha Master Selection torpedo and headed over to the lounge to smoke it. This was my second Gurkha, and the only way to describe it was full-bodied but incredibly sweet in flavor, almost like smoking a chocolate bar. A nice way to spend a couple of hours.

Have to make this a regular stop while in town. :thumbs:

Robert

1959 pre-embargo ISOMs (starting at $300 per stick!).

Robert

Looks like they went up $25 since I was there this summer. Did they still have the custom chopper in the store?

The wife and I enjoyed a good smoke with Jgolhke and his wife before heading to the Pepsi 400 at Daytona back in July.

Definitely one of the most unique B&Ms I have had the chance to visit.

Corona does actually stock authentic pre-embargo Cuban cigars, the Heathrow location had close to full boxes of 5 different sticks. But they are very pricey, starting around $200 and up. And of course they have lots of hard to find Fuente stuff because they are big time HTF gougers. BTL's going for $30 a pop, Maduro Hemingways $25, Anejo's $20+.

I think they keep the custom chopper, as well as a Bahia custom bike in the Heathrow store. My folks live about 15 minutes from there so I head there to enjoy their lounge whenever I'm in town. And although they gouge on all their HTF Fuentes, they have all the hard to find Davidoff and Padron sticks right at retail.

Visit the Orlando area 4 or 5 times a year but never seem to find the time to get there. Sounds like I need to make the time and check it out. Thanks for the report.

I need to stop in there some time when I am up that way.

BTW I am in Bonita.

I made it to the Orlando shop once. I was very impressed with the selection, but it definitely seemed geared to the tourist crowd. As I remember the box prices weren't too bad (except on popular super-premiums) Singles were ok on most sticks (picked up my first Padilla's there fore a steal) but anything that was popular in the superpremium marked was maked up 2-3x MSRP or more. Greycliffe, Opus, Anejo, Ghurka, DCM were all at least 200% of MSRP or more. But, they can sell that way because po-dunk no nothing on vacation who wants to get "those Opus things [1]" to take home caue his friends talk about them will pay that much for them.

Not bad in all and the staff was nice. The bar at the front was cool too and they had a couple not-too-comfy chairs out front. I'd go back for some good dailies or yard-gars, but that's all. The gouging really was a bit of a turn-off.

-K-

[1] - quoted frm random Tourist in the store when I visited, he ended up spending almost $100 on four cigars that would have MSRPed at about $45. It was sad...........

I was down there around New Years, and was able to pick up a GOF at MSRP. Some of the other HTF's you guys are right about. But their selection was amazing.

The pre-embargo cigars are from an estate sale. The story they tell is that they bought all the cigars from the estate of Ernie Kovacs who died in a car accident in 1962. His cigars were well documented and properly cared for, with all phases of their journey being well documented. I have not personally seen any of this documentation, but was assured by the owner that he wouldn't have paid as much as he did for the cigars if he wasn't sure what he was buying. He told me if he tried to pass off bogus pre-embargos on his customers, many of them would be able to tell. Because of the store's customer base (tourists and other visitors), many probably would not...but some could.

I have personally watched as the owner of the store conducted a tour of the pre-embargo case for a cigar company president. The converstation was all conducted in Spanish (which I don't speak), with lots of questions and explanations going back and forth. At one point, they got a box out of the case and the guy looked at the markings, the label etc. This particular full box of cigars has a price of $9,000.

From seeing how they boxes are displayed, my personal discussions with the owner about them and my observations of the above conversation, it is my personal opinion that these cigars are as represented.

Whether or not they are good smoking cigars, I don't know. I've never ponied up the $$ for one. The last time I checked, the pre-embargo cigars ranged in price from $125 to $300 each. I don't remember all the brands, but I believe they have a box of RyJ in the case.

I don't remember seeing any Pinar's in the store.

As far as the store goes, it is a very easy place to kill a couple of hours. They have a very large selection and some of their prices are not too bad. They get a lot of tourist/high roller traffic and their high-end cigars reflect this. They charge what the traffic will bear. Just down the street, at the local mall, I can find Padron's (26's and 64's) for MSRP. With some minimal hunting, you can find the same cigars below MSRP online. Clearly it is all about location and customer traffic.

I do buy some cigars there. Many of their "regular" cigars are regularly priced. I have even bought boxes from there. I don't mind paying a bit more for the convienence of just going to the store and bringing the cigars home.

Generally, I find the staff to be knowledgeable and friendly. They usually have a bartender that is "easy on the eyes" working the weekend nights.

There are 2 locations in Central Florida. One on Sand Lake Road (near the tourist area of Orlando) and one north of the city in Heathrow (a 30 min drive from Daytona).

Here's the company web page: Corona Cigar web page

I don't work for the store and I am not affiliated with the store in anyway other than being an occasional customer.

Thanks for the information. When we take the kids to Disney again, I know where I will stop!! :thumbs:

The pre-embargo cigars are from an estate sale. The story they tell is that they bought all the cigars from the estate of Ernie Kovacs who died in a car accident in 1962. His cigars were well documented and properly cared for, with all phases of their journey being well documented. I have not personally seen any of this documentation, but was assured by the owner that he wouldn't have paid as much as he did for the cigars if he wasn't sure what he was buying. He told me if he tried to pass off bogus pre-embargos on his customers, many of them would be able to tell. Because of the store's customer base (tourists and other visitors), many probably would not...but some could.

I have personally watched as the owner of the store conducted a tour of the pre-embargo case for a cigar company president. The converstation was all conducted in Spanish (which I don't speak), with lots of questions and explanations going back and forth. At one point, they got a box out of the case and the guy looked at the markings, the label etc. This particular full box of cigars has a price of $9,000.

From seeing how they boxes are displayed, my personal discussions with the owner about them and my observations of the above conversation, it is my personal opinion that these cigars are as represented.

Whether or not they are good smoking cigars, I don't know. I've never ponied up the $$ for one. The last time I checked, the pre-embargo cigars ranged in price from $125 to $300 each. I don't remember all the brands, but I believe they have a box of RyJ in the case.

As far as the store goes, it is a very easy place to kill a couple of hours. They have a very large selection and some of their prices are not too bad. They get a lot of tourist/high roller traffic and their high-end cigars reflect this. They charge what the traffic will bear. Just down the street, at the local mall, I can find Padron's (26's and 64's) for MSRP. With some minimal hunting, you can find the same cigars below MSRP online. Clearly it is all about location and customer traffic.

I do buy some cigars there. Many of their "regular" cigars are regularly priced. I have even bought boxes from there. I don't mind paying a bit more for the convienence of just going to the store and bringing the cigars home.

Generally, I find the staff to be knowledgeable and friendly. They usually have a bartender that is "easy on the eyes" working the weekend nights.

There are 2 locations in Central Florida. One on Sand Lake Road (near the tourist area of Orlando) and one north of the city in Heathrow (a 30 min drive from Daytona).

I don't work for the store and I am not affiliated with the store in anyway other than being an occasional customer.

Just on a side note, Ernie Kovacs was a hell of an entertainer and a BOTL. Wickipedia has this: Although Kovacs was a long-time spokesman for Dutch Masters cigars (resulting in some of the most creative and humorous commercials of the time), in real life Ernie only smoked expensive Havana cigars, as many as 20 per day at a price of $2.00 each. (Quite expensive in 1950s dollars.)

When he died he owed the IRS tremendous amounts of money as he did not believe that the taxation system was fair. His wife had to sell all his stuff to raise the money to pay them. Hence, there goes the cigars. He was an important piece of TV history.

i have done the corona in ybor before (great brew and atmosphere) but never hit the orlando one yet.

I need to stop in there some time when I am up that way.

BTW I am in Bonita.
Most cool... every now and then I enjoy a ride down to the Bonita Smoke Shop (singles are a bit much, but the box prices are pretty good). Makes for a nice excuse to fire up the Road Glide, though.. :whistling:

Just got back from Orlando yesterday. Made it a point to find some time to swing by Corona this time. Was first surprised by how slammed with tourists the place was but, then again, it was a factor of the Memorial Day weekend. They had a huge selection (as always), but prices were not outstanding really. Then, in browsing through some sticks, found one of their own labels FILLED with holes. Grabbed it to give to one of the several sales associates they had on the floor, but kept looking a bit longer though and found another stick in the same condition. Then another. Then another. Gave the guy SIX sticks that were absolutely swiss-cheese looking babies. All the Corona "house" brand, but mostly all were different series (two were something similar to a "between the lines" barberpole creation of theirs). Found the sales associate and told him, "Fella, in case you didn't know it, this is a bad sign." He looked at the sticks as if I were handing him a hockey puck. Stopped puffing on his Ashton and said, "Ummm...yeah, I guess it is," took the sticks and turned back to his co-worker buddies and resumed talking with them (they were all in a circle shooting the shit when I walked up, those swiss-cheese sticks in hand). Their humidifier was cranking out of control, but I think this suggests an issue that runs a bit deeper than that. I left there disappointed and without buying a thing, not because I had my heart set on getting one of their sticks (they actually had a very nice selection of Tats), but just because of the whole vibe of the place, and the geniune who-gives-a-shit attitude by the staff (of both their inventory's condition and their we-get-so-many-tourists-in-here-who-needs-ya attitude).

Anyway, I offer up this latest experience FWIW. Hope it was the exception rather than the rule, but maybe some of our ORL area brothers can offer more insight.

Just on a side note, Ernie Kovacs was a hell of an entertainer and a BOTL. Wickipedia has this: Although Kovacs was a long-time spokesman for Dutch Masters cigars (resulting in some of the most creative and humorous commercials of the time), in real life Ernie only smoked expensive Havana cigars, as many as 20 per day at a price of $2.00 each. (Quite expensive in 1950s dollars.)

When he died he owed the IRS tremendous amounts of money as he did not believe that the taxation system was fair. His wife had to sell all his stuff to raise the money to pay them. Hence, there goes the cigars. He was an important piece of TV history.

Just saw this post actually. Ernie Kovacs is among my very favorite comedians ever. I have virtually anything and everything I can get my hands on that he did, be it movies or his television appearances. He was truly one of a kind.

Not a widely known fact, his 2nd wife Edie Adams Kovacs, who performed along with him, patented a "cigarette holder ring." Can be seen here:

Edie's Cigarette Holder Ring

I left there disappointed and without buying a thing, not because I had my heart set on getting one of their sticks (they actually had a very nice selection of Tats), but just because of the whole vibe of the place, and the geniune who-gives-a-shit attitude by the staff (of both their inventory's condition and their we-get-so-many-tourists-in-here-who-needs-ya attitude).

Anyway, I offer up this latest experience FWIW. Hope it was the exception rather than the rule, but maybe some of our ORL area brothers can offer more insight.

Thanks for the heads up MC. Enough of a warning for me to avoid the place unless others feel strongly different.

Service is everything, or nearly everything, for a cigar smoker/buyer like myself.

Cheers,
antaean