• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fires Burn Fuente Warehouses

Bonfire Smoke

Bonfire Smoke
I just read online from Cigar Aficionado that two of the Fuente's warehouses in Dominican Republic were destroyed by fire. They lost some very good and rare tobacco. I am sure we will see an impact from this. Just glad nobody was hurt.

I just read online from Cigar Aficionado that two of the Fuente's warehouses in Dominican Republic were destroyed by fire. They lost some very good and rare tobacco. I am sure we will see an impact from this. Just glad nobody was hurt.

LINKY for the article....

Wow! That truly blows. Thank goodness nobody was hurt. I can understand (a little) how they must feel as the company I work for lost one of our major manufacturing facilities in the tornado outbreak that hit Alabama in April. Painful to see such a major investment destroyed.

Thank God no one was hurt. It is ironic, just prior to seeing this post I ordered a box of AF Double Chateau. I am sure certain blends will be hard to come by in the future,

I'm hoping no one got seriously injured trying to save any of the tobacco. Makes me wonder if they previously have gone through 9 fires, if the temperature of the bales while fermenting them causes any spontaneous combustion.

I'm hoping no one got seriously injured trying to save any of the tobacco. Makes me wonder if they previously have gone through 9 fires, if the temperature of the bales while fermenting them causes any spontaneous combustion.

Ditto on the no injuries. I really don't anything about tobacco bales, but bale of hay certainly can and do spontaneously combust.

It is my understanding that they utilize a heating element as well to aid in the curing of the tobacco. More or less a propane fire underneath a diffusing element which essentially creates a hot plate.
gal_4e4d4cfa65bae.jpg

Chateau line products were hit the worst, and Opus shipments are in Limbo.
It is very good news no one was hurt, The Fuentes are tough and will do their best to get back to business as usual I'm sure.

The good part :

"... there was very little wrapper tobacco in the burned buildings."

The sad part:

"It's just so sad. You save it. You wait. You save it some more. In my lifetime, we won't be able to recreate some of this tobacco," Fuente Jr. said.

The pipe tobacco industry never recovered from the fire in the Syrian tobacco warehouse. But most of the worlds best Syrian was stored there.

The pipe tobacco industry never recovered from the fire in the Syrian tobacco warehouse. But most of the worlds best Syrian was stored there.

I was just about to say, this reminds me of the fire that wiped out all that vintage Syrian, and in turn, a few of the GL Pease selections that used it. Such a sad incident, but as everyone has said already, thankfully no one was hurt. There's definitely not a tobacco I can think of that's worth risking your life for. :(

I hope they have more than 2 warehouses.
Glad no one was injured.
Fuente stuff are my 'go to' smokes,

Hemi maddies and Ashton San Cristobal, especially.

We'll have to wait to see the impact of this disaster.

Chemyst :cool:

A little late to the party, but, according to our Fuente rep, the fire was caused by an electrical short. All of the tobacco for the new blend they were putting together was destroyed. A lot of filler was destroyed and as previously stated, Opus shipments are in limbo. No Sept shipment for sure and December is questionable as well. Aside from the obvious Opus shortage coming, most other standard lines should see little impact given the amount of tobacco in reserves for those.

I hope they have more than 2 warehouses.
Glad no one was injured.
Fuente stuff are my 'go to' smokes,

FYI, Ken, San Cristobal is Pepin made. Not Ashton OR Fuente

San Cristobal is an Ashton brand, just made by Pepin, like the La Aroma de Cuba lines.
It's just like JC Newman has a bunch of their cigars made by Fuente, but some, like the El Baton and Brickhouse, are made by Fabrica de Tabacco San Rafael. At least that's my understanding.

San Cristobal is an Ashton brand, just made by Pepin, like the La Aroma de Cuba lines.
It's just like JC Newman has a bunch of their cigars made by Fuente, but some, like the El Baton and Brickhouse, are made by Fabrica de Tabacco San Rafael. At least that's my understanding.
So it is Ashton but NOT Fuente. Thanks for the info, Gavin. I guess Ashton is the Holt's brand name?

[threadjack]
Ashton is Holt's wholesale arm in general, which leads to confusing situations. You can buy an Ashton cigar retail from Holts, or retailers can buy a bunch of other brands wholesale from Ashton, or retailers can buy Ashton cigars wholesale from Ashton, but you can't buy anything retail directly from Ashton, and you can't buy anything wholesale directly from Holts....yeah....

My head hurts.

I could also be totally full of shit and misunderstood everything, so take all this with a grain of salt.

[/threadjack]
Fire = Bad.

Did you see the editorial comment saying they should have sprinkler systems? Would that help? I seriously doubt it. Then you would have wet, moldy leaves... or maybe it could stop the fire half way and they would be smoke damaged? Either way, I am sure they know what they are doing!

A lot of the modern sprinkler systems are sectioned off, so that the burning area is the only one to get wet, so it could have potentially saved some of the tobacco, although smoke could have damaged it too...