• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Humidor

Frosty

Most of everything I've read suggested getting a desktop humidor for my first one so I have been shopping around and came up with this. I have about a $100 budget due to graduation gifts as I am graduating this afternoon at 3 (I know what a great way to spend the day before graduation, reading forums). Anyway I found this one and really like the looks of it and you can beat the price. I also wanted to buy a sampler package to start off so that fits nicely into my budget, anyway just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this humidor.

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/mer...roduct_Count=11

HUM-25EL1.gif

For $3 more you can get this Humi from the imperfects section. It's BIGGER. :laugh:

My only problem with having a glasstop humidor (I have one...) is that the halogen bulbs that we use in the office can put off enough heat to raise the temp in my humi by a degree or two. And what with the temp here in Texas in the summer, I do everything to save a few degrees. Kingantz makes a good point about upgrading size for an "imperfect" humidor. Thats probably what I would do. Believe me... you will need more space soon!

Oh and don't feel bad about being on CP before your graduation. I was scanning the forum about an hour before I got married... :whistling:

edited to add... CONGRATS ON YOUR GRADUATION! Smoke something nice in celebration!

mac

My only problem with having a glasstop humidor (I have one...) is that the halogen bulbs that we use in the office can put off enough heat to raise the temp in my humi by a degree or two. And what with the temp here in Texas in the summer, I do everything to save a few degrees. Kingantz makes a good point about upgrading size for an "imperfect" humidor. Thats probably what I would do. Believe me... you will need more space soon!

Oh and don't feel bad about being on CP before your graduation. I was scanning the forum about an hour before I got married... :whistling:

mac

Well I can see where the glasstop humidor would increase in temp with light. The only difference is this will be a desktop humi for my home and in my room there is hardly every more than a dim light. Don't know about the needing more space thing as I am just starting my collection with the first sampler I order but who knows. I will have to look into the humi that Kingantz posted as it seems to be a good deal. None the less thanks for the opinions!

mac

Well I can see where the glasstop humidor would increase in temp with light. The only difference is this will be a desktop humi for my home and in my room there is hardly every more than a dim light. Don't know about the needing more space thing as I am just starting my collection with the first sampler I order but who knows. I will have to look into the humi that Kingantz posted as it seems to be a good deal. None the less thanks for the opinions!

Famous last words! :0 I like to the look of the glasstop but for sheer volume King may be right. When we all say go bigger, we are NOT just messing wit' ya! :D

We'll re-visit this later. :laugh:

Edited for....Dang it....Jeff beat me to it! lol Sorry for the "dbl post"

I have had that same kind for a year now and it works well. I also found even though it is a spring not hair hygrometer after you calibrate it. It works quite nicely but I use it at a guesstamate +/- 5% and thats enough to know when to add water to your humidifier (I use beads so its pretty easy) once I get my vinotemp this will be the only desktop I'll keep.

Also out of all my desktops it has one of the best seals and the latch is nice. I smoke robusto/toros and I have never been able to fit more than 35-40 sticks in it you might be able to get 50 or more in their is they are all robustos or smaller.

Also just to let you know now that this is your first humidor the ideal way to store your cigars is to leave 20% of the humidor empty to ensure proper humidity, that a good humidifier (beads preferably) and a calibrated hygrometer you will be golden but you'll fill it fast the slope is steep.

"Slip Sliding Away"

mac
Wow, now that's hardcore. :laugh:

Nice humi. It should be a good starter unit and it will remain a useful desktop unit once you step up to Coleman/Igloo country. ;)

GinsengCoolerPic01.jpg

Wilkey

My lord Wilkey, that is just insane, how long have you been smoking and collecting sticks?

Frosty, seriously I too just started smoking about a year ago, i bought my first humi last July, Now I have three desktops 75 - 100 ct, 2 15 stick travel cases and a locker in my B&M full. You can not believe how easy it is to build up a collection around here. Listen to the guys who have slipped down the slope before you. get the bigger one.

I've been smoking since the mid-1990's but really only accumulating in earnest in the last 5 or 6 years.

I'm just biding my time until graduation and a new job brings me to Aristocrat-ville. :D Although I suspect I've got enough to fill up a medium sized unit already. ???

Wilkey

mac

This comment is coming from a guy with a stack of coolers as high as the Berlin Wall... :whistling: :laugh:

THAT IS HARDCORE!

mac

mac

Nice humi. It should be a good starter unit and it will remain a useful desktop unit once you step up to Coleman/Igloo country. ;)

GinsengCoolerPic01.jpg

Wilkey

Wow, seriously that just a little insane. I have to ask this question, when you have people over is your great wall of coolers a party conversation. I must say though that is quite a collection of coolers. :thumbs:

Awesome set up Wilkey! Did you buy all those coolers at the same time, or do you just run down to Wal Mart and pick up another when space gets tight?

Hey how do you organize the smaller coolers? I have one of those laying around that I thought about using, but it's really not that big to fit much more than a couple boxes in it + the beads/kitty litter.