• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First shotgun for 9 year old

I love talking shotguns!!!!

The 101 on his 16th birthday helps out tremendously in making a recommendation. I would assume the Winnie 101 is going to be a 12ga. This is a great shotgun for trap, clays, skeet and hunting. He will be strong enough to get 28" barrels (I like'em even longer). He will be able to hand the recoil and size of the shotgun as well.

I would recommend the first shotgun be a 20ga then. The .410, 28ga, 16ga are nice for certain reasons, but can be expensive to feed shells compared to 20ga and 12ga, and not good for hunting/learning as the subgages can be difficult to master. You can always get an adult stock later for better fit if he wants to use it after he outgrows it.

Depending on your budget, and what you want to do I would get a nice single shot 20ga. Break action is safe and good for learning. The single shot is a good teacher to make the first shot count and not play Terminator in the woods. A single shot will be light and can be purchased in a youth stock. It will also be affordable. I like to use my father in laws 16ga Browning single pipe for rabbits and birds on occasion. Very fun.

There are many affordable pumpers our there in youth sizes. This will give you multiple shots for sporting clays, and hunting if you wish. I started on a 870 wingmaster combo, so I am biased. The Browning BPS is a great shotgun for leftys due to the controls on top and bottom eject. I don't know much about the Mossberg's.

If you have the budget and desire, the semi-autos are great for maturing into, tend to have less recoil (it is absorbed by the action), but can be complicated (even for my father :whistling: ). A used Remington 1100 or 11-87 20ga in youth size would be a bargain. I think they are the most dependable auto without going to high end. Otherwise, I like the Franchi, Berettas, and Benellis. I'm hoping to get a used Benelli Ultralight 28ga for upland birds and wabbits in the future).

I'd go single shot youth 20ga for safe and economical, OR a 20ga semi-auto youth for a nice shotgun with no limitations for some extra cash.

I started with a 16 single made about the same time as Doc. :) My next was a win 1200 and I still shoot it 30 years later. I have a newer Mossberg, but I really don't like it and it gets handed out as a loaner more often than not.

Being a first gun, and with hunting as a purpose I would look for a 20-30 year old gun. While respecting your gun is important, having your heart broken because you are still learning how to walk and put a big scratch in the stock shouldn't have to be a consideration. Pretty guns are for the range. Field guns just have to fit well and fire when ready. Hell, my 1200 is missing most of the bluing, but if it flies it dies.

When it comes to firearms, old is better. A lot better.

Doc

Came home with an older Winchester Model 37 Youth 20 gauge. I got a screaming deal on it and it's in great shape. Seems to fit pretty well. We'll shoot it some tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice. If the fit is there, I'm sure we'll get plenty of use out of it.

Pretty guns are for the range. Field guns just have to fit well and fire when ready.

I hear ya on this one. My dad has a remington 1100 or 1187, I can't remember which one because its been so long but it is a beautiful gun. Unfortunately it almost always jams on 2 3/4 in shells and enough on the 3 in shells that you can't really hunt with it. I remember goose hunting with it with my buddy once and having nothing but problems. Nothing sucks more than when you take that first shot, miss and go for the second shot only to find it isn't there because the first shell didn't eject properly.

Frustrating! lol

Looked up some images of that winchester 37 and its a pretty cool looking gun. Neat that it has a little history behind it in that its older.

Pretty guns are for the range. Field guns just have to fit well and fire when ready.

I hear ya on this one. My dad has a remington 1100 or 1187, I can't remember which one because its been so long but it is a beautiful gun. Unfortunately it almost always jams on 2 3/4 in shells and enough on the 3 in shells that you can't really hunt with it. I remember goose hunting with it with my buddy once and having nothing but problems. Nothing sucks more than when you take that first shot, miss and go for the second shot only to find it isn't there because the first shell didn't eject properly.

Frustrating! lol

Looked up some images of that winchester 37 and its a pretty cool looking gun. Neat that it has a little history behind it in that its older.

That's the truth. This is what I use on the sporting clays course:

0dce81e783aa1778.jpg

This is what I use in the field:

1_shotguns_lc_smith_12g_field_grade_50944.jpg

Doc

Sounds like a great piece! That should hand very well for a first shotgun. How does it pattern on hobos? Modified should be good for 30-35 yards!

Came home with an older Winchester Model 37 Youth 20 gauge. I got a screaming deal on it and it's in great shape. Seems to fit pretty well. We'll shoot it some tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice. If the fit is there, I'm sure we'll get plenty of use out of it.

Sounds like a great piece! That should hand very well for a first shotgun. How does it pattern on hobos? Modified should be good for 30-35 yards!

As a hobo, I resent that. :(

It's a great shotgun. Hobo season hasn't started yet. They don't start heading north until May or so.

I thought so, Josh. FYI, if you are every in MN and see a couple Acids and Slim Jim's sitting under an box propped up by a stick, turn around and run.

As a hobo, I resent that. :(