• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Stand up act

PJ Youtube video

The audio is a little scketchy but only because my mic work sucked. But I straightened that out on the second attempt.

Thanks

PJ

Come CP lets drive those YouTube hits up.......he deserves more than 7 hits

T

That's all he had!?! Damn, I would have thought much more. It's only a 5 minute video and PJ, you sailed through your act like a pro! Great job!

And THAT, my friend, is why we went through 2 cigars each at Pheasant Cigars' lounge. :thumbs:

Good job bruddah PJ!

I watched it. Pretty funny. Yeah, well done, especially for a first time.

Loved it man, great job rockin the crowd!

Keep up the good work!

Great transition from joke to joke. Smooth style my friend. Good stuff!

Great job brother. Can't wait to see the next one. You are a natural.

Thanks you guys I appreciate all the encouragement. I am going back on Sunday and am planning on working on new material. So I will have another video up next week.

I had a friend say it was Raunchy! I told him he was being a whuss as I had a 50 year old Mormon lady tell me it was funny as hell!

Now who wants to buy some Sham wows???

PJ

Nice job PJ! you feed well off your audience and have lots of confidence. That will get you far brother, keep it up!

Very funny. Id pay to see your show

Don

Don can I quote you on that? I may need the endorsement.

I went again on Sunday and video taped so I will have some new material up this week. I am going tomorrow to do a 10 minute set at Vince Niels bar here in town. So we are off and running.

Thanks guys!!!

PJ

SO my first stand up act went so well I was asked to come to Vince Neils bar Feelgoods on Wednesday nights and do a 10 minute show. So I went last week and did well. They invited me back again and I did a 17 minute act this Wednesday. I am linking the videos of that here. Lots of new material from the first act along with the older good stuff.
First 7 minutes
Final 10 minutes

Please feel free to share them with anyone you think would enjoy that type of humor. It seems perfectly acceptable to my family (for the most part) and our friends but a few have said it is too X-rated for them.

I appreciate all your support guys, hopefully this will be a paying gig soon!

PJ

So my daughter was having cocktails at a nearby bar last night and called me to say they were having an open mike night and I should come down and sign up. I agreed and made my way down to the bar. The skinny white kid in a sports coat said he would take my name down and asked how long I had been doing comedy. I told him 3 weeks now! He looked at me strangely and said "then tonight will be a very interesting experience for you" to which he added "May god have mercy on your soul" .
I think this was a veiled attempt to warn me of the ethnicity of the expected crowd. If you haven't seen my videos.......

**** shameless self promotion on****
(Please watch them as they are linked on post above)
**** self promotion off****

......I am a large lily white dude. The crowd last night was very urban, young and overwhelmingly African American. As an Irish American I was concerned about my ability to relate to the crowd and if they would get my jokes or not. I was tempted to call it off, as my comfort level with this room, for my 6 time up on stage, was a little low. But I decided to man up and go on anyway.

I did get laughs, although at weird moments. While most of the evenings relationship jokes were about "baby mamas" and "child support", my after 20 years of marriage joke didn't quite get the response I needed.

I do know now, that while I may be entirely too raunchy for an older all white crowd, I am not nearly raunchy enough for a younger mostly black audience. But I can fix that!!!!

All in all a good experience, as a good comic must read the room and supply material that will relate to the crowd on hand.

;) glad I didn't wimp out!

PJ

Edit for spelling

Okay for an update. I have been doing between 2-6 shows a week since then. I only had a week off around Christmas. I have been invited to host a couple of times which I did and I seem to be known to most of the 100+ open mike comics around these parts. Pretty good for only a few months in. I have newer material I have been writing and trying each week to see what works best.

I have come in second two weeks in a row at a little comedy contest gig on Wednesdays, however both times I was put up very early and from what I have seen the crowd doesn't remember much past the last two guys or so.

Tomorrow I have an audition for Americas Got Talent. I am not getting too pumped up about it but I will be swinging the bat for this opportunity. I have to be camera ready (yea right, ugly white guys are never camera ready) with a 90 second, TV clean act tomorrow at 4:15 pm.

PJ

the comic

Good luck! Those TV shows CAN be a path to stardom but they aren't the ONLY path. Just keep honing your craft.

Have fun!