• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fishing thread

Gator

Caught TONS of red grouper and plenty of red snapper in the Gulf last week, and when i say tons of RG, i mean 60+ on most every day, many 10lbs+, trying to get to the snapper, but the damn Sea Possums wouldn't leave us alone. Oh, and several good Kings and one small dolphin, we're just too shallow where i fish from to get out to where the big pelagic fish roam. Think this last week wrapped me up until fall, saw too many nasty storms come from nowhere, and if you've ever been through one of those nasty summer squalls offshore, you damn sure don't want that experience again.

Starting Oct., we can pound the Gag grouper in 30-50', trolling Stretch 30's, so i believe i'll hang it up until then, it's hotter than hell until then anyways.

You been catching anything?

Trout! Been trolling for lakers latley. We're kind of snobs up here. If it ain't a trout it's a snake.

Doc.

WTF is a sea possum Frank? (not a fisherman, so I have no idea)

I just started fishing freshwater. I was a quite accomplished salty angler when I lived in Bronx, NY, but I couldn't catch a thing down here in VA. I finally got the hang of it and last sunday I caught my biggest small mouth bass to date (which kind of gets dwarfed by the 20 lb + stripers I used to catch).

I was canoeing in the James and I threw my line in, saw the thing snatch it up, set the hook and damn he took off. I could tell this was a biggun. I only had 6lb test on my line so I start finessing him in, but he was really crafty and going around rapids and trying to go under the boat. Knowing I couldn't muscle him in for fear of breaking my line, I just let him do what he wanted. I finally get him up to the boat (didn't have a net) and grab the line. I get him in the boat and it was about a 4.5 maybe 5lb smally. If it wasn't citation size, it was right there, easily 20". I was using an AC Shiner 4" minnow crankbait when I got him, both trebles were set deep. I went to go get the hooks out with a pair of hemastats, but he did a power flop over the friggin edge of the canoe, broke the fishing line, and swam away with my damn lure in his mouth.

The good thing was everyone that I was canoeing with saw that I got him and pull him out of the water, so I get the 6pack for the biggest fish that day.

We do 6'ers for the biggest fish, the most fish, and the first fish. I also got the first too. My buddy slayed the nursery school and kept pulling out 4" sunfish, so I had to regrettably give him a sixer for that.

Trout! Been trolling for lakers latley. We're kind of snobs up here. If it ain't a trout it's a snake.

Doc.

Isn't it too warm for trout. I"m gearing up for going after rainbows in early fall when the temp drops a little bit. How do you guys go after them up there?

Doc.

Isn't it too warm for trout. I"m gearing up for going after rainbows in early fall when the temp drops a little bit. How do you guys go after them up there?
That's why we're trolling for lakers. Willoughby lake is a 400ft deep, spring fed lake. It's kinda cold all year round.

Doc.

I've just started fishing the waters around the Mississippi here in La Crosse. Nothing to report yet
Found some spinner baits in the trees though, so not a complete loss.

Went deep sea fishing last Friday with friends. We caught 3 yellowfin tuna and one wahoo. About 85 pounds of tuna and the wahoo was 20 pounds. Not the best day, but plenty of cigars were smoked and it was a gorgeous day on the water.

Rob

Tell you after this coming weekend. :thumbs: Going out on the Jersey Shore.

DG

Went deep sea fishing last Friday with friends. We caught 3 yellowfin tuna and one wahoo. About 85 pounds of tuna and the wahoo was 20 pounds. Not the best day, but plenty of cigars were smoked and it was a gorgeous day on the water.

Rob

Thats what its about man. Spend time on the water smoking some good cigars, having some good conversation and even if you get skunked its a good time.

Went to Indian river this past weekend trying to hit some grass flats for some redfish. But My dad and his friend just serviced our engine and when they were putting the lower unit back on they knocked the gear shifter outta place. So when we got to the boat ramp the boat wouldnt go into gear. So we just ended up screwed around within trolling motor distance and caught a bunch of catfish. Luckily when we got back to the house the engine was an easy fix.

hehehehehehe... we won't go there :whistling:

Ah hell... yes we will!! :laugh:

So far I've lost track of the fishing trips, but suffice to say I've been out more this summer than last! Halibut (had an EPIC battle with a monster *guesstimated to be 250# plus*, but lost it after 2.5 hours), Salmon, more salmon, and a dipnet trip over to the Copper River for more salmon! :laugh: By the way, the one pic of the halibut in the water... that salmon head you see is a 40# king salmon head, just to give you a size reference.

Great pics Jim!

"I think this is the boat record.....so far"

:sign:

F***, NO, F***, NO....GD!

hehehehehehe... we won't go there :whistling:

Ah hell... yes we will!! :laugh:
So far I've lost track of the fishing trips, but suffice to say I've been out more this summer than last! Halibut (had an EPIC battle with a monster *guesstimated to be 250# plus*, but lost it after 2.5 hours), Salmon, more salmon, and a dipnet trip over to the Copper River for more salmon! :laugh: By the way, the one pic of the halibut in the water... that salmon head you see is a 40# king salmon head, just to give you a size reference.

I am SSSSSOOOOOOOO jealous! Swissy gets all the fun!

Trip to Swissy's anyone??? :whistling:

The largest I've reeled in was a 55# King off the coast of Santa Barbara in 1994 and it was euforia can't imagine what it must be like haulng in a 200#+..........man I miss fishing but my job doesn't allow the time for it! ???

I think after seeing your photos I will make the effort to plan and make the time for it........damn nice fish Swissy!

Charlie

Lol, I wanna go fishing so bad...I think I might go steal some fishing line from one of the escape pods and try my hand at some trollin off the fanail. ;) :thumbs:

Friday(City Island Area,Bronx)- Banged three blues to 10lbs

Saturday (Western LI Sound)- Roy R. Frush and I were out and were ontop aof an amazing spot when I landed a 28" inch stiper after two evene bigger run offs he had a pig porgy, and then we got swamped by an asshole in a 45' Cabin cruiser less than an hour after havingh started and I freaked out as we almost sank. He was, as always, the cool pragmatist under fire.

Sunday(South Shore Long Island 7miles out)- Hit a bluefish blitz caught nealry 100 blues to 15lbs but only kept a dozen between the four guys. We also had our limit on bass to 17lbs.

Rob

nuttin wrong w/ that haul, sounds like a GREAT day!

We've been threatening to go on a overnight tuna trip out of La. or Al., they've been hammering the big yellowfins, all the dolphin you wanna catch (big ones) and some wahoo and marlin. It's just too damn hot now, weather to unstable, thinking about late Sept...

What do you do w/ bluefish, people actually eat them?

And Swissy, KMA, i'm jealous ;)

Friday(City Island Area,Bronx)- Banged three blues to 10lbs

Saturday (Western LI Sound)- Roy R. Frush and I were out and were ontop aof an amazing spot when I landed a 28" inch stiper after two evene bigger run offs he had a pig porgy, and then we got swamped by an asshole in a 45' Cabin cruiser less than an hour after havingh started and I freaked out as we almost sank. He was, as always, the cool pragmatist under fire.

Sunday(South Shore Long Island 7miles out)- Hit a bluefish blitz caught nealry 100 blues to 15lbs but only kept a dozen between the four guys. We also had our limit on bass to 17lbs.

Awesome! Tell Mr. Frush I said to read less, post more. :whistling:

Gator, you got to like fish to eat blues. It's a strong tasting oily fish. I love it. On the grill with basted with Olive oil,lemon juice, garlic and oregano.

Doc