• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fixing over-humidified humidor help

maduro89

Straight Razors and Whisky
Hey guys, I did a search and couldn't find a solution to my problem. If there is a thread over this please send me a link. I was given a humidor by my girlfriend that belonged to her father. It was new with all paper work still inside so I set it up and seasoned it for a few days. I used distilled water for the hygrometer and placed my cigars in it. currently I have about 30 sticks in it and I am going to place about 80 more. It maintains at around 77% humidity and the temperature stays at around 70-72 degrees (my house is usually at 70 degrees this time of the year) if I have my humidor open for a minute the humidity drops to around 70-73%. I think I may change out the hygrometers to either a Cigardian or Xikar one because I have had good experiences with them, but before I do so how can I fix this problem? (second question, how well do the drawers in these humidors maintain humidity?) 

First question whenever it comes to humidity is whether or not the hygrometer is calibrated. If it's not, you don't know if it's really 77% or not. 

Some people will tell you to put dry beads in to soak up the humidity. In my experience, that does not work. I've never seen beads absorb humidity. I've posted about that a few times.

The only thing you can really do is leave it open for a while (assuming it truly is over-humidified). 

Tom is right - if your humidor is too 'wet', and if the ambient RH is lower than what you're looking for, just leave the humidor open for a couple hours, close it up see where you are.

The point about making sure your hygrometer is calibrated is very important.  If your hygro isn't calibrated and known, you really don't have any idea what the real RH is.  Salt test or Bovida cal kit, get that done first.

Good advice given above. 

Out of curiosity, what's the RH in your house?

Data point - here in the rainy Pacific Northwest, with the forced air / natural gas heat running, RH in the house is 55-ish.

You can also put some cedar in there. If you don't have any, go to your local and see if he has some separator sheets or the little cigar sized space holders from boxes. Also, start saving them all, for just this sort of issue. If you have a naked box, and it is not important, cut it up and put pieces in there. You can also remove the humidifiers, they will start to dry and the humidor will also start to drop. Once you get them where you want them, add a lot less water at once. Add a little, wait a day or two, add a little more, etc.

Rod said:
Good advice given above. 

Out of curiosity, what's the RH in your house?
I live in Houston so it's pretty humid. It stays about 70 degrees in my house. 

He said he's going to be putting about another 80 cigars in there later.
Shouldn't he put those cigars in first and then see what his Rh is after a week.
If he gets his Rh where he wants it now isn't he running a chance of it being too low when he fills up the humidor?

What are you using as humidification?  Beads, foam, etc?  I'd suggest you get some beads, 65% is what I'd get and see how it goes.  First, you'll need to make sure your hygrometer is calibrated and if it's not exactly on, note the difference so you'll know.

Adding cigars to an over humidified humidor will bring it down a bit, but it won't solve the problem.

broblues said:
Or you can switch to Boveda packs and never worry again.
I love these. Really as carefree as you can get BUT, I would add more than what is suggested for wooden humidors. Also, remember that there is a tolerance involved so, take that into consideration for your target humidity.

Alright guys here's an update. I added the cigars last night and it looks like the cigars absorbed the humidity! I'll keep yall posted incase it drops below 60, If it does I'll add a humipack. 

Be patient and let it stabilize over a week or so, then make adjustments.

As a rule, you never want to use your cigars to adjust your humidity. The best advice was to calibrate your hygrometer. This is the first step... Then, once you have a stable 65% to 68% environment (for 3 to 4 days), then you can add your cigars...  You certainly can (eventually) rectify the problem with your procedure, but at what cost to the precious cargo...