• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Flake recommendations

Black Plague

I've just recently gotten into pipe smoking and have really started enjoying it.

And because I'm a moron who likes to dive in over his head, I thought to myself, "Hey! I've only been smoking pipes for a few weeks, I think I'll try to light and smoke a bowl of flake-cut tobacco!" :)

So help this moron out with his first, feeble attempts to try to conquer the flake monster...what's some good flake tobaccos out there that you enjoy? I am a newbie to pipe tobacco, but cigar smoking has steeled my palate, so you don't have to stick to purely mild recommendations.

Thanks guys. :)

Flakes are a great and enjoyable form of pipe tobacco. There are a ton of different brands, but here are a few I enjoy.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
Wessex Burley Slices.
Wessex Navy Flake
Escudo
Erinmore

Check out www.tobaccoreviews.com for some more information and reviews, as well as the Mac Baren site for instructions on their technique for flake smoking. One suggestion, start with a smaller bowl and puff s-l-o-w-l-y. :)

Have fun!

I like Dunhill Flake and Mac Baren's Navy Flake. But speaking of flakes, I have a tin of Escudo Navy De luxe that I guess is no longer in production for at least the USA. :(

Went to the local tobacconist and the flake options were a bit limited, so I went with a tin of Mac Baren Virginia Flake. Mmmmmm, good stuff! I recently gave up cigarettes and used to roll my own, so I'm no stranger to good Virginia tobacco. I love that sweet, spicy taste!

Did OK for my first time with flake. Used the method Mac Baren recommends on their website for packing the bowl (here) and it burned alright the first half, then the draw was a bit hard the second. I might've tamped it too hard. Also, it was a bit wet in the bottom of the bowl, so I guess I should also let it dry out a little more next time as well.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Keep 'em coming if you have more.