• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Flor De Gonzalez Review

souldog

OG Post-Whorer since 2008 bitches...
I was sent this cigar a while ago by my beloved compatriot in the Newbie War of 08', MandyPi, and he asked me to do a review. Once again Mandy, you're too kind, and you really picked a cigar that blew me away!

Cigar: Flor De Gonzalez 15 Year Aniversario Torpedo
Wrapper: Connecticut Sun Grown Desflorado Wrapper
Ring Gauge: 50(?)
Length: 6(?)
Origin: Ecuadorian

Start Time: 1915 hrs

Initial Observations: The construction was flawless, the wrapper is oily, and the foot of the cigar is without blemish. The only thing I could find is the cigar's cap was slightly "messy," if you will. But again, if I am searching for flaws at this point, it should tell you about the expert construction of this cigar. I clip the cigar's torpedo cap, and the prelight draw is very tight. I clipped again, and this time it is much easier to draw on. The cigar hits me with a smooth creamy taste, very nutty flavors followed by a sweet honey finish.

The Setup:
S5001221.jpg

S5001222.jpg

S5001223.jpg

The First Third: I toast the foot, light it up, and take my first draw. I am very surprised by the cigar's fullness of flavor. Personally, I am not a big fan of Connecticut wrappers as I feel they tend to be more of a mild smoke that really doesn't strike my pallette. But this cigar, I don't know, it really hits the spot for me after dinner. The smoke smells good, the burn is even, but the draw is a wee bit too tight. The ash is pure white, the whitest I've ever seen, and resonates a very well constructed cigar. According to sources on this cigar, it is only rolled by expert Cuban cigar rollers, and this is evident as the wrapper continues to burn evenly without need for touching up.

S5001226.jpg

The Second and Third Third: As I continue to draw on the cigar, I am continually fighting the tight draw. This has been the only drawback I can find in the cigar, as it is still full of flavor and taste. I am loving every minute, except for the tight draw, but who's to complain when they are smoking a cigar that is reminiscent of an ISOM? I am no ISOM Snob by any means, but halfway through this guy, I am reminded of the smooth creamy falvorfulness of other ISOMs I've had.

I brought out my infamous "smoking buddy" and her little pal, Rex:
S5001236.jpg

"WHO, ME?!?!"

S5001237.jpg

L to R: Misty and Rex, happy that Daddy's home.

Unfortunately, I had to cut the fesitivies short on this cigar, and take care of a couple things, so this is the farthest I got. Still, a dynamo smoke in my book and I am going to be contacting Mandy to find where I can get some more.

S5001239.jpg

All in all, an excellent cigar. In my opinion, I feel this cigar would go excellently paired with a fine dessert wine or something along those lines, you wine boys know what I'm thinking. Personally, I am a rather large fan of smokes that are spicy and in your face full of flavor. But, nonetheless, I am always pleasantly surprised when I come across a cigar that balances the smooth creaminess and full flavor as well. I think I have found my match.

End Time: 2002 hrs

Thank you again for the cigar Mandy, and make sure you tell the Gonzalez's what I thought of their product. :thumbs:

I am glad you liked it….more on the way. As for the draw, it must have been that cigar because I have smoked a least a box of these and never experienced that issue.

Flor De Gonzalez has a stronger showing on the east coast than in your area. I have never met the master blender, Arnaldo Gonzalez, but I have met the sales staff and his daughter, Yadi, and they are wonderful people and are running a great company.

Thanks for the review

Flor De Gonzalez

Excellent review! What's that you were drinking with the cigar?

Great review Souldoggy! Shame on the draw though. I've had quite a few of those lately. Had a torp this past weekend I chopped the foot, no draw. Chopped more. Still no draw. I had about 2" left when I finally got finished chopping it up with enough draw to smoke it. :D Ah well, yours sounded like it was still a good smoke! Thanks for the review!

Nice Jonathan.

The set up...sounds like a crime scene :laugh:

Brian

We've been carrying these for about a month, and must say I've enjoyed hem as well. Haven't had any burn issues yet. Nice smoke.

Great review and pics. I'm not familiar with these but they sound very tasty.