• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Flor de las Antillas Toro - Mini review

SkyKing

MADE BY: My Father Cigars S.A.
FACTORY LOCATION: Nicaragua
WRAPPER: Nicaragua
BINDER: Nicaragua
FILLER: Nicaragua
PRICE: $6.90
RING GAUGE: 52
LENGTH: 6"
RATING: 96

Picked up a couple of these Pepin family cigars, first introduced in May 2012, mostly because they were Cigar Aficionados's Cigar of the year.http://www.cigaraficionado.com/cigars/top25detail/year/2012/rank/1.

The band on this stick is a work of art and even the neophyte smoking companion raved about the aesthetics of this cigar. Light was even and the familiar upper pepper notes that predominate many of the Pepin cigars made itself present. Reminded me a bit of the Tats. To my taste this was not a complex smoke, the spice and peppers floated on top but the profile remained relatively flat throughout all three thirds of the stick.I felf that the base flavors weren't strong enough to support the top. In other words, I didn't feel that this was the most balanced smoke to come from the Pepin family.

Still, at $6.90 a stick, it is a good value and I'll probably pickup a couple of more but I won't be buying a box anytime soon.

Give this stick another shot. I have enjoyed a bunch of them and always found them to be flavorful and well balanced. Then again, it may be my palet differs from yours. Thanks for mini review btw.
Edit to add additional comment.

I wouldn't want anyone to think I was trashing the Flor de las Antillas Toro. It is a fine cigar in most ways. And I try to smoke 3 to 5 of any one stick before rendering final judegment. I suspect the Don Pepin fans here - and they are numerous - will love this cigar. I will smoke at least two more - simply because I think one needs to sample several of any one stick before rendering final judgement - there are many factors that can affect a single testing - mood, environment, the company, the beverage, health, big buget advertising, group think, etc.

For the record, anyone who enjoys Pepin crafted smokes should try this stick as should anyone who enjoys peppery, spicey, nasal tickling cigars.

The world of hand-made cigars is a lot like a Miss Universe contest - lots of variation in shapes, sizes, colors - and all beautiful. I wouldn't necessarily pick the same winner as the judges, but that doesn't mean I think the winner wasn't lovely. Even the last place contestant is still a beauty.

Pax

SkyKing said:
I wouldn't want anyone to think I was trashing the Flor de las Antillas Toro. It is a fine cigar in most ways. And I try to smoke 3 to 5 of any one stick before rendering final judegment. I suspect the Don Pepin fans here - and they are numerous - will love this cigar. I will smoke at least two more - simply because I think one needs to sample several of any one stick before rendering final judgement - there are many factors that can affect a single testing - mood, environment, the company, the beverage, health, big buget advertising, group think, etc.

For the record, anyone who enjoys Pepin crafted smokes should try this stick as should anyone who enjoys peppery, spicey, nasal tickling cigars.

The world of hand-made cigars is a lot like a Miss Universe contest - lots of variation in shapes, sizes, colors - and all beautiful. I wouldn't necessarily pick the same winner as the judges, but that doesn't mean I think the winner wasn't lovely. Even the last place contestant is still a beauty.

Pax
Well said...

I love this stick, and think it's a great solid smoke at a good price point. If you're getting it for $6.90 a stick, that's about a dollar cheaper than MSRP so I think you're in pretty good shape on that end too.

It's not the pepper bomb that the Jaime Garcia is, nor the richness of a Le Bijou, but the sungrown wrapper does bring in a good amount of complexity to an-already tasty smoke.

another smoke I was burning recently and thinking about that has similar notes is the Fuente unnamed reserve. This stick has more buttery and salty flavors to me than the Flor, but I can't say I like one more than the other. However, the UR is going for closer to $10-12 a stick and is very limited where as there's no shortage of Flors.

Anyways, I'm a fan and enjoy reaching for one often.

Thanks for the review skyking. These are on my list to try the next time I make it to a B&M. Most internet retailers have been out due to the CA rating.

In my previous life, I reviewed software and cutting edge technology for some of the Washington Post company pubs. (Government Computer News, FedWeek, among others)

I didn't write about dog rockets then and I don't now. (Except the one time an unnamed company tried to bribe and intimidate me. They would have been better off not reviewed, may they RIP.)

If  I do take the time to write about a cigar, it is because it is at least objectively satisfactory. If I can't score it an 88 or better, I'll skip it and write about another - but hardly ever do so unless the smoke is excellent in most ways.

I liked the Flors de las Antillas Toro very much. It just didn't rock me like some cigars do when I first smoked them,  e.g., the Drew Undercrown Corona Viva!, last years Cigar of the Year AB Impressado Churchill, AF Best Seller, Johnny-O, Partagas, Trinitat, the La Duena and several Pepins.  By the time I finished the nub on those smokes, I knew I had to get a box of them. 

It sometimes takes me longer. I was underwhelmed when I smoked my first Opus X. But Santa sent me one that I smoked for my birthday March 21st. It was almost an orgasmic experience.  It was probably as perfect a cigar as I've ever had the pleasure of encountering.

I doubt if my approach is in the minority here at CP. Most of us like to talk up our favorites. When I'm looking for some variety, I come here to get pointed to new possibilities. 

On the other hand, it is nice to hear about over-priced dog rockets put out by some of the big name companies.