• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

For my BOTL stuck out on their decks

teal

Reaction score
First off, let me say that my wife is great. She got me my nice new (yeah it could be bigger) humidor for christmas and doesn't bug me about the money I spend on cigars. But, she doesn't want me smoking in the house or even the garage. So I'm stuck smoking on my deck. Really, it isn't that bad. Only wind and rain keep me from enjoying a cigar from time to time.

However, I have always wished there was some way I could something on TV while I smoked, but the way the deck/windows are situated there wasn't a way to watch a tv inside the house while on the deck and I really didn't want to have an actual TV sitting on the deck (although I was tempted). So, I figured I would have to forget about it. Until I found this

The Pinnacle PCTV To Go HD. Basically it's a device that you connect inline between your cable box (or any video source) and your tv. It takes whatever video signal you plug into it (all analog -composite/s-video/component connections) digitized it and then broadcasts it over your wireless network. And it works like a charm.

You are required to have a Wireless G router in your house, but that's it. Once you have it hooked up, you can watch whatever video you is being passed through the box on a Windows laptop. Of course their are a few limitiations:

*If you are hooked into a cable box, you will be watching the same thing that is playing on the TV that it is connected to.
*I did notice some degredation of colors using the video pass-through, so I had to change my setup so that the PCTV device was connected to the cable box via component cables while my TV was connected to the cable box via HDMI cable.
*You can have control over the cable box through your PC by connecting an "IR Blaster". The "blaster" sits on top of the cable box and relays commands through the PCTV device to your cable box. Of course if you turn the channel on your PC, you will change the channel for whoever is watching on the TV.

The PCTV Wireless device retails for ~250$ although, I picked up my, refurbished, off of woot.com for only 120$. Of course, when I first received it, it didn't work at all and I had to immediately send it back for warranty repair. Once I got it back, it worked like a charm.
Here's some screenies off my laptop (Macbook Pro running windows XP thru Bootcamp)

gallery_7174_520_129806.jpg

Normal mode (over local wireless network)

gallery_7174_520_826093.jpg

Full Screen Mode (over local wireless network)

gallery_7174_520_6162.jpg

Internet Streaming Mode (over the internet-for remote viewing)

The only negative I have about the unit is that the "IR Blaster" doesn't work that great for me, but I haven't spent that much time configuring it yet. Theoretically, once I've configured it, I will be able to have full control, including Guide/menu/on demand functions, of the cable box while viewing from my laptop.

I was really surprised when I found that this type of product existed and really happy. It's exactly what I was looking for, so I though maybe some of you may be longing for the same thing! And even though the deal I got on it is over, I would have gladly paid retail for this device.

...Here's to watching March Madness out on the deck while enjoying some premium stogies!

-t.

Interesting!

I have a Sling Box Linky

The quality at home is amazing. I have it linked to one of my DVR boxes in the guest room so I can change channels and record etc. The great feature though is...
Right now I'm 11,000 miles away from home and I can watch US TV through the same box. :thumbs: :thumbs: You just have to ensure that your upload speed
is very good, cable works well, DSL does not give you a great picture unless you have a faster DSL set up. I have both in my house but I cannot get the faster DSL,
something to do with cabling.

Brian

I hadn't looked at the Slingbox for a number of years. The last time I looked it up, there was only a single product and it was pretty expensive. It looks like it's matured into a solid line. I'll have to look into it. Without having looked at all the different models, can you stream the video feed over a wireless local network?

-t.

I hadn't looked at the Slingbox for a number of years. The last time I looked it up, there was only a single product and it was pretty expensive. It looks like it's matured into a solid line. I'll have to look into it. Without having looked at all the different models, can you stream the video feed over a wireless local network?

-t.

Yes very easily. I travel extensively for work and the slingbox is great. I have it hooked to a TIVO and can watch recorded shows or live shows. I also have access to if from my Treo so I can watch live tv from my phone. Pretty cool device. I have the oldest model and still works like a champ.

Just because I'm not sure I'm asking the right question...

For Slingbox, are you always streaming the video over the internet and then down to the PC (or whatever)? After spending some time on the product site, this seems to be the case. So, the major difference between the two products being that the Slingbox is designed more for remote (away from home)viewing while the PCTV device is optimized for local viewing (within the network).

I'm definitely impressed by the quality that the slingbox gives you for remote/over the web viewing. The PCTV device only gives you a small window for over the web viewing but is close to dvd quality for local viewing

d.

Without having looked at all the different models, can you stream the video feed over a wireless local network?

Even though wireless is touted as a "high-speed" protocol, remember that it's half duplex, meaning only one device can talk at a time in one direction, and you will never get the maximum speed touted in the product literature.

This means that if your "slingbox" type device is streaming over wireless, another other devices (like TiVo, Laptops, etc.) are going to have to compete for airtime against the slingbox-type thing.

Ever try to transfer a movie between two wireless devices? You'll see how slow wireless really is. Try to hardwire in things like Tivo and Slingbox and you'll get a lot better performance overall. :)

---John Holmes...

Without having looked at all the different models, can you stream the video feed over a wireless local network?

Even though wireless is touted as a "high-speed" protocol, remember that it's half duplex, meaning only one device can talk at a time in one direction, and you will never get the maximum speed touted in the product literature.

This means that if your "slingbox" type device is streaming over wireless, another other devices (like TiVo, Laptops, etc.) are going to have to compete for airtime against the slingbox-type thing.

Ever try to transfer a movie between two wireless devices? You'll see how slow wireless really is. Try to hardwire in things like Tivo and Slingbox and you'll get a lot better performance overall. :)

---John Holmes...

Well my goal of using the Pinnacle PCTV device was so that I could have a wireless solution. I needed a "clean" way to be able to watch TV on the deck while enjoying a cigar. Of course, a wired connection will give you faster speed every time. For my home network/media server, I *only* use a wired connection. Heck, I won't even connect my gaming consoles up with a wireless connection. Again, my goal (and what I assumed some others would be interested in) was to have a way to carry my laptop out on the deck and watch whatever is on TV and not have to worry about having a wired connection port (either cat-5 or a cable outlet) on the deck (or even permanently mounting a tv on the deck).

And my questions about the slingbox really centered around what the device was truly optimized for, which seems to be for "remote" viewing, while the Pinnacle PCTV device seems better for local viewing. And, honestly, the video quality coming out of pinnacle PCTV device via a wireless connection is outstanding. I didn't expect anywhere near the quality it delivers because of the reasons you stated above. But it really does deliver with only an occasional stutter.

-t.

For Slingbox, are you always streaming the video over the internet and then down to the PC (or whatever)? After spending some time on the product site, this seems to be the case. So, the major difference between the two products being that the Slingbox is designed more for remote (away from home)viewing while the PCTV device is optimized for local viewing (within the network).

It's designed for both. Local viewing is fantastic on a 17" wide screen computer, I use a Macbook Pro.

However, as I mentioned in my post above, your upload speed must be good for remote viewing over the internet. In addition, as John has alluded to, using wifi will eat into your upload speed.
If possible, attempt to connect the sling box directly to the cable modum. This is not always an easy option in most homes.

Provided you have an upload speed of 500 Kbps, you will get a fair remote signal away from home. Over 1,000 and it will be excellent. Keep in mind though, your remote ISP must also be
reasonably fast.

Brian

Interesting.

On my rear balcony, which overlooks downtown Miami and Biscayne Bay, I simply installed a large LCD, with an HD cable box and dvd player. It is now quite the set up out there and while I would have liked to put one on my front balcony overlooking South Beach and the Atlantic, that one gets more weather exposure and the rear baclony doesn't. On the times when I'm not in my smoking room, having a t.v. set up makes being on the balcony all the more enjoyable, particularly during MLB season.

Edited for paragraph layout error.

On my rear balcony, which overlooks downtown Miami and Biscayne Bay, I simply installed a large LCD, with an HD cable box and dvd player. It is now quite the set up out there and while I would have liked to put one on my front balcony overlooking South Beach and the Atlantic, that one gets more weather exposure and the rear baclony doesn't.

Yeah, I have a setup exactly like that, except there's no TV and my balcony is actually a concrete bunker covered in sand bags with a nice view of the detention facility. The TV would get drowned out by all of the jets taking off anyhow... :rolleyes: ;)

On my rear balcony, which overlooks downtown Miami and Biscayne Bay, I simply installed a large LCD, with an HD cable box and dvd player. It is now quite the set up out there and while I would have liked to put one on my front balcony overlooking South Beach and the Atlantic, that one gets more weather exposure and the rear baclony doesn't.

Yeah, I have a setup exactly like that, except there's no TV and my balcony is actually a concrete bunker covered in sand bags with a nice view of the detention facility. The TV would get drowned out by all of the jets taking off anyhow... :rolleyes: ;)
You two got something in common; you both got lots of sand.

Doc.

Interesting.

On my rear balcony, which overlooks downtown Miami and Biscayne Bay, I simply installed a large LCD, with an HD cable box and dvd player. It is now quite the set up out there and while I would have liked to put one on my front balcony overlooking South Beach and the Atlantic, that one gets more weather exposure and the rear baclony doesn't. On the times when I'm not in my smoking room, having a t.v. set up makes being on the balcony all the more enjoyable, particularly during MLB season.

Edited for paragraph layout error.

You lucky dog! I actually contemplated installing a smaller LCD on my deck underneath the eave of my roof. But having a cable connection and protecting the LCD from the elements (Kansas weather can get pretty nasty in any season) effectively nixed that idea. That's why I was really excited about a wireless laptop option. Anyhow, it sounds like you've got one sweet setup over there! Congrats!

-t.