• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Forged Cashier Check

JHolmes763

Drinkin' the koolaid
Just heard from a B&M that got burned for $8K by a forged cashiers check. Phone order for COD shipment through FedEx to Long Beach, CA. Did due diligence by a Google search on the guys name and residence. Buyer's story for a large buy (father's 70th birthday; party for 200; avoid CA taxes) sounded legit. Check cleared the bank but funds were pulled 6 days later.

In hindsight, it all smells fishy, but that doesn't do any good now. Just wanted to throw this out there as a heads-up for any retailers or people selling in general.

I didn't know anybody did COD anymore. Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

I hope they get things resolved.

Also, ever get burned by a travelers check? Yup...the bank went under between the time of the sale and the desposit into the bank.

That happened in the 80's to a relative!

Thanks for reminding folks!

:thumbs:

I am in the welding supply and industrial gas business in Houston. Every week I get at least 10 requests for quotes by e-mail or fax for welding supply orders of several thousand dollars where the requestor wants to pay COD. They provide a business name, address and a phone# . The business name is usually legit, but the address and phone# do not belong to the business. We also do not accept cashiers checks. They are to easy to forge.

Its amazing the effort and ingenuity of crooks these days.

I had some criminal forge checks with a different business name but my bank and account number for my business account. Several checks went through the bank and got sent back to me. All of that got resolved by the bank in fairly short order but the interesting thing is that the actual signature on the check was in the name of an attorney colleague of mine with an exceptionally unusual name. She was not involved in the scam but clearly whoever pulled the scam had knowledge of both of us. Weird.

The quality of the counterfeit checks these days makes them very easy to pass off - and there's a ton of them floating around right now.

Bottom line - if the deal is more than you can afford to lose, and you do not trust or know the person you're getting the check from - it's better to pass on the deal. And - waiting for 10 days for the "check to clear" will not solve the problem...

...and I'd also be VERY leary of a large ACH (Electronic Funds Transfer) as well.

Yeah this stuff is becoming more and more common. I work a stack of these cases on a daily basis. Even after the funds clear the bank, the checks can still come back, and you are responsible for the money. Forged cashier's checks, CC numbers, $100 bills, etc. Criminals these days are becoming very sophisticated. :angry: The sad thing is, when these things happen in other states, or Canada, there is usually little that local law enforcement can do for the victims. Be careful out there guys.

If you guys ever have a question about something I would not hesitate to call your local investigators or even shoot me a PM. We have probably already talked to someone else that got scammed in the same way. Don't waste your time talking with George though. He is too old to know all the "new" tricks. :laugh:

Brandon